• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

We've got one at the top of the stairs, and every night I yell at it, and get an instant rebuke !

Gem, air fresheners aside, I believe your daughter in law is right. You'd be amazed at the number of white feathers I find...and it has nothing to do with my cats!

I don't believe for a moment that those we love and who love us ever leave us.  I ran upstairs the other day with a pile of sheets I'd just ironed, intending to put them away, and on the landing walked straight into my father. Couldn't see anything, wasn't thinking about him, but he was there, all round me. Unmistakable. "Hello, you old codger," I said and laughed. Love my dad and my mum. Often very aware of them both. Most natural thing in the world to know they watch over me. Not certifiable in the least.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Florence still causing havoc in the USA. Hope Mr & Mrs Loppy and the boys are alright.

Thanks for your concern Jill.

Yes, we are ok.  Mrs. L went to a family reunion in Tennessee with her daughters.  She called me last night and said it had been a nice sunny day.  The storm is moving that way though.  it is now downgraded to a tropical storm dumping inches of rain.  she is coming home tomorrow, hopefully thay will avoid much of it.  Here in Ga.  It was very windy.  I had to tie some of my plants up.  it was 95 f.  much too hot for this time of year.  Today it is drizzly rain.  I think we have dodged a bullet again.

The boys are happily sawing off Zzzzzzzs on the window seat as usual.  its a dog's life.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jill i am not a believer in the afterlife and have never felt anyone around me, it must be a lovely feeling to have. My son says he has felt his dad near and it gives him comfort, so maybe my daughter in law has a point.

• Like 2

Gem a number of years ago we lost a neice of 8 yrs old in a car accident. My husband never remembers any dates or names. But one morning he recounted a dream that he'd had. Ingrid came to him in this dream and told him to tell uncle Fernando to stop disturbing her. A conversation followed where Ingrid described where she was and said that she was happy. My husband has never dreamt of any defunct family members and he couldnt understand why he had dreamt of her , when I realised it was the anniversary of her death. Strange yes but it leaves you wondering. As i said before my husband never dreams of his family but a strange thing happened years ago. We were both asleep when I woke up suddenly and could see the mirror starting to fall. My husband woke at the same time , he had been dreaming of his mum who in the dream pointed to the wall and the mirror. The mirror came crashing down ( it was a big one ) at the same time our phone rang.

We had a bar that opened at 6 am and it was my sons turn to go in early. The bar had been broken into. Nothing much had been stolen but it was the second time my son had entered into a house /bar that had been burgled and he was only 15. Coincidence or warning from above ? Makes you wonder.   

• Like 1

Loppy hope the storm blows itself out and doesnt reach you. We too are experiencing high temperatures . It started to get cooler and after high temps and higher humidy it was a relief but it didnt last long, the heat has returned with a vengeance with even greater humidity and temps around 32 c. Slightly cooler than before. Before long we are going to experience some bad weather so they are warning us. We'll see. 

Good luck anyway.

• Like 1

A day of memories and reflection for me today.  It being the 30th Anniversary of my beautiful Mum’s passing at only 64.  I went to Wilford Hill, the first time I’d been up there since Chulla’s memorable funeral service.  Picked up my brother and we met Mum’s last remaining sibling and her husband, aged 89 and 90.  We spent a thoughtful couple of minutes looking at the Book of Remembrance and then my aunt amused us with tales of their childhood in the Meadows. Stories of 3 in a bed, her borrowing Mum’s clothes and makeup (there was 5 years between them), notable family squabbles, being sent to Sanderson’s Tripe Shop on Arkwright St, (near that bridge that had Hopcrofts on it) for their Dad’s dinner (yuk!) and having to make sure they came home with “a bit of light, a bit of dark and a bit of honeycomb” ........ oh dear, makes me feel ill thinking about it. I’m sure she said my grandad ate it raw, would that be right?!!!!  I think there’s a Butchers thread on here, perhaps that shop is mentioned although we’re talking about a time of rationing.  

We then went around the cemetery, purposely going past Edwin Starr’s grave and went to put flowers on my Dad’s grave. Tidied it up and was concerned about just how many graves are sinking.  

Back home and we’ve had WhatsApp calls from both sons. One has ridden a Tropical Storm in Antigua this past week and the other has been in Singapore working on the F1 track but never stays to watch the race these days, he’s now in Jakarta working on a contract.  

The lads have a team working on a project on a NASCAR track in Charlotte, North Carolina.  The weather, as we know, is awful over there and they’ve been held up for the last 3 or 4 days but hopefully they’ll get the job complete in time for the upcoming race.  

I’ll be happy when my boys are home! 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

What a lovely  post, Lizzie.  It was so interesting to read of your aunt's memories of her and your mum's early life.  Pleased that both your boys are safe In different parts of the world!  

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I’m sure she said my grandad ate it raw, would that be right?!!!!

Ooooh Yes Lizzie he probably did eat it raw. We did.Lol. Mam would cut it all up into bite size squares, put it on a large plate,, sprinkle salt/pepper and vinegar and we would sit round her picking a piece and dipping it in the vinegar. mmmmm, yummy. We all ate the favourite honeycomb pieces first. I don't think I have eaten any since I married and moved away in 1966. Long time ago. I couldn't eat it now!:wacko:

Hope your boys stay safe Lizzie. They will soon be home.:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks both, The lads are always jetting around the world that I don’t worry about them but there are so many weather related problems at this time of the year, plus the earthquake in Lombok, Indonesia the other week, an island where they have a contract very soon, in fact that’s why No 1 son is in Jakarta.

Ive just been thinking about the tripe ....... there was an older half-sister who’s father was killed in WW1, my gran married my grandfather after that war.  This sister got married in the 30s and began sending the youngest one, who I saw today, to Sandersons Tripe Shop for tripe EVERY DAY!  It turned out she was pregnant and had a passion for it LOL.  I’m pleased to say I only fancied yoghurts when I was in that state!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tripe (stewed woolly jumpers) was always sold pre-cooked - hence tripe dressers who did this chore for you. It took hours of boiling to transform it into anything like an edible state and even that, in my opinion, was never enough.

Whether it was cooked further was up to you e.g for tripe & onions.

Tripe is popular in France - consult Wiki for Tripes à la mode de Caen (don't do this is you are of a delicate disposition) and a dish local to me is Tripes à la provençale which is not quite are nauseating in its description but equally as horrible in its taste and flavour. To my mind, tripe dishes are best served with bread & butter and without the tripe.

I'm normally quite adventurous in my eating (you have to be, living where I do) but I draw the line at tripe after my one attempt at eating my grannies version of tripe & onions. The tripe itself was completely tasteless and had a texture of wet knitting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Nonna having read your post it does make me wonder if there is more "out there" then a sceptic like myself will acknowledge. All of those things that happened to you can not be put down to coincidence.

• Like 1

During the 70's and early 80's, I regularly had tripe boiled in milk with onions, and Smash on my return from Forest matches during winter months. Stacks of pepper on, and it was wonderful and warming. Not had it for almost 20 years now, a I don't know whether I could face it. 

I too was sent to Sandersons, the one on Wilford Road beside the Magna  pub for a pound of white and 1/2 a pound of dark. Dark was eaten raw for tea like Carni, the rest with onions next day with mash and mushy peas, not forgetting the HP sauce. I never tried it  just the white sauce on my mash and peas.

• Upvote 1

On the subject of spooks, on Saturday I went on a guided walk around Wollaton as part of heritage weekend. There is a cottage at the side of the Admiral Rodney pub, at one time lived a family with 25 kids, these cottages have now been converted to 2 cottages, the woman in one of them often hears children playing next door even though no kids live there.

• Like 1

The last time I had tripe was about 25 years ago. I got it from Derick Marriott’s shop on Hucknall Rd, facing Forman’s. He was an excellent butcher. I bought it for Saturday lunch. My wife wasn’t keen but I remembered my parents talking about buying it from Tom Sanderson’s when they had been to the Hippodrome cinema and how wonderful it was. My wife cooked it. Nobody would touch it! I just had a tiny taste just to confirm it was disgusting. In my many travels around Europe I have never had such a disgusting  dish - even in Sweden where I had some salmon which had been buried underground for many months. Can someone please tell me the best place locally to enjoy a tripe dish? I’ve never seen it on a menu anywhere so that must say something!

• Like 1

I can understand  it not being on a menu, the cooked version with onions and mash, never tempted me, it looked and smelled disgusting (to me). I don't recall ever trying it. The smell was enough. The cut up tripe with s/p and vinegar was a memory that has stayed with me, after all these years, I can picture us four older siblings sitting around mam on the sofa, all trying to find the biggest pieces and laughing. The thought of eating it today, along with other cheap delicacys that we ate in my childhood repulses me now. What about Pigs trotters, cows heel, Oh my goodness, I'm not even going there! :wacko:

Tuesdays were tripe days when I was a child. My maternal grandfather lived with us and he insisted on tripe cooked in milk, mashed potatoes, onions and peas once a week for midday meal. Mum would purchase it from Cantrell's Butchers on Alfreton Road, near to FLY2's fish and chip shop.

I was collected from Berridge and brought home for lunch. I didn't like Tuesdays! I always said it was "carpet" for lunch but had to eat it as wasting food wasn't permitted.

Mum and dad liked tripe but a friend of my mother's once asked her to go on holiday with her family in the early 1940s and mum discovered they ate their tripe cold, in vinegar! Mum drew the line at that.

I have been a vegetarian for 40 years but I can still shudder at being expected to eat "carpet" on Tuesdays!

• Upvote 1