How's your day?

I've had my multi fuel going  a couple of evenings but I'm a good girl and only use authorised smokeless fuel or kiln dried wood. I suspect your neighbour's appliance may have a blockage somewhere. Does she have it swept regularly? Not everyone does, nor do they stick to what they should burn. Gets the rest of us a bad name.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Didn't start off too well, next door neighbour has decided to get the log burner going again, smoke coming through our bedroom and bathroom windows, both rooms stinking of smoke, had to close the windows, no good talking to the woman because a few years ago when I mentioned the smoke to her she just told me "talk to the f*****g council, which I did and have been doing for coming upto seven years this years,any road up thats my moan over, getting the trike out for my local villages ride and call in at the village hall in Bassingham for their coffee morning, the sun is shining,it's a bit chilly but who cares it's good to be out, catch you all later

Rog

You've got a genuine complaint here re Statutory Nuisance. I'm aware you've tried to get the council to act before but you should keep on trying. Take photos, get all the evidence you can. If the council don't act, contact your local councillor and then your MP about the council's failure. You shouldn't have to endure this.

• Like 3

The annoying thing about all this is a few weeks ago the council went round to all the council tennants in the close and offered them a new efficient heating system,to be fitted free all it took was one day to fit the equipment and all the old stuff would be taken away free of charge, everyone in the close had the new heating system put in with the exception of her and her neighbour,, so we still have to put up with the smoke problem, most of the folks in the close are elderly and as such suffer from heart problems or respiritory problems both compounded by smoke and some of these people are intimidated by this woman and too frightened to report the problem for fear of causing trouble.

I have sent an email to the council this morning instead of the usual phone call,this way I can keep a record of the reports plus I can copy in the local councillor and the Environment agency if I want

Rog

• Like 4

It's one lie after another with this woman, when she first had the thing fitted it was put in by her son who with the best will in the world is not the sharpest tool in the shed,  after complants she told the council it was fitted by a proper builder, they accepted that, then there was the chimney fire where the fire brigade came, it came to light there was no air brick fitted to allow dangerous fumes to escape,she had one fitted by,yes her son but managed to get a builder to sign a paper to say it was safe, the council went to check and asked if there was a chimney liner to which she said yes it's been properly fitted,(there was no liner,she told me she wasn't having one because they cost too much) the council were satisfied one had been fitted because she said so, after more complaints it came to light that there was NO liner fitted and the council said she cannot use the fire until one was fitted,  one was fitted some weeks later,but I think the council did this, after more complaining the council went to her house and agreed to fit a new chimney pot with a top on it,I think the council paid for that,

Some years ago before she had this fire a man across the road from her place decided to open up his fire place instead of the heating that was alreadt in, she complained to the council about smoke and the council shut the fire down within days of the complaint, another tennant applied to the council to have his fireplace opened up so he could have a real fire, he was refused, same with another tennant,refused because of the fire risk, Something very funny going on here me thinks

Rog

How she's got away with that I don't know. I had my Clearview fitted 3 years ago. Bought it from Robey's in Belper.  It was fitted by HETAS registered engineers and the fitting cost as much as the stove, although I got a sizeable discount on both because my next door neighbour, who is a builder, also bought one and they were fitted on the same day. The liners are expensive, it's true.

After fitting, I was given a sheaf of documentation to prove it was DEFRA approved and fitted in accordance with the regulations, should anyone ever query it. No one ever has!

They have since sprung up like mushrooms in this area, even in modern housing with no fireplaces or flue. This entails having the flue pipe fixed to the exterior wall. Looks a bit unsightly and probably very expensive. Rarely do we smell anything at all and certainly nothing noxious.

• Like 1

A typical morning, the new chimney top, this is on a bungalow so not very high,the smoke just come to ground and hangs around the bungalow's unless it's very windy

P1060278.jpg

Rog

Off to Monte Carlo for the second time today. Out to dinner at the Hôtel de Paris (supposedly the best hotel on the Riviera).

I'd prefer to dine at home - which I will tomorrow as I've invited the Canadians to dinner chez moi.

• Like 3

Good idea Jill, our Ben could give guided tours of the old Marsden and Farrands sites with all the sordid details of lifters arrests, bit like the Ripper tours in London

Rog

• Like 2
12 hours ago, jonab said:

Off to Monte Carlo for the second time today. Out to dinner at the Hôtel de Paris (supposedly the best hotel on the Riviera).

I'd prefer to dine at home - which I will tomorrow as I've invited the Canadians to dinner chez moi.

Hmmmmm.....

I prefer my food to look like food and not something that should be on show in an art gallery. I also don't like to leave the table feeling as though I haven't eaten anything.

The nutritional equivalent of two Smarties and a jelly baby is NOT a meal.

Glad I wasn't paying.

Chilly start to the day out here,off down the farm yard in a bit with my trusty BSA R10,checkout the pigeon situation, after that I'm going over the road to the field where the farmer keeps some of his machinery, he wants me to look at making his beet cleaner an electric start instead of having to use a starting handle on the modern Lister diesel engine, easy enough providing it's got a starter ring fitted to the flywheel,if thats the case it;s just a matter of getting a starter motor to fit and make up some sort of starter switch, it will also need a charging system to keep the battery charged up although thats not too important,if it's not fitted with a starter ring then it's a bit more involved and means taking the flywheel off and all the stuff that goes with that, either way, it's an interesting project, then it's off to the petrol station on the Hykeham island to fill up with fuel ready for tomorrow, we are off to Worksop again, market day

Have a great day everyone

Rog

Rog, you could consider a dynostart off a ride on mower; that will start and charge ………...

You would need a belt not a starter ring, I am looking at that on a big 4litre Sunbeam at present.

If you wanted a starter ring where would you go?

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Chilly start to the day out here,off down the farm yard in a bit with my trusty BSA R10,checkout the pigeon situation, after that I'm going over the road to the field where the farmer keeps some of his machinery, he wants me to look at making his beet cleaner an electric start instead of having to use a starting handle on the modern Lister diesel engine, easy enough providing it's got a starter ring fitted to the flywheel,if thats the case it;s just a matter of getting a starter motor to fit and make up some sort of starter switch, it will also need a charging system to keep the battery charged up although thats not too important,if it's not fitted with a starter ring then it's a bit more involved and means taking the flywheel off and all the stuff that goes with that, either way, it's an interesting project, then it's off to the petrol station on the Hykeham island to fill up with fuel ready for tomorrow, we are off to Worksop again, market day

Have a great day everyone

Rog

Carbine, .22 or .177 Rog?

I believe it's November, our bossman made a rare appearance today? Must have deep pockets?

Its not a matter of cost its a matter of Database size, repeat posting of images is not such a problem.

Its quoting massive posts and just adding a short or one word reply!

We are not like any other forum. we want to keep the oldest posts online for future readers.

New members can be excused for so long.

I dont see why mods like Cliff should spend their time editing posts to take out unnecessary quotes.

PUSH THE DELETE BUTTON. Delete the whole post. We can also remove reputation points!

The last resort can be member put in Moderation status. Your post may (or may not) appear only if a moderator gets time?

Its a rule here, dont like it? Dont Post.

1 hour ago, siddha said:

If you wanted a starter ring where would you go?

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Carbine, .22 or .177 Rog?

Lister in the west midlands carry all the parts, the dynostart is a good idea,I have just got back from the farm after looking at the engine, not sure where I could fit either but will checkout the web sites,thanks for the suggestion sidda.

Phil, .22 pre charged pneumatic,BSA R10 Mk 2, 10 shot magazine,bolt action, about 200 shots per fully charged bottle, I also have a 3 lts bottle for charging the onboard one, charged to 240 bar,quite a lot of pressure considering 1 bar is equal to 15 psi

P1060476.jpg

Rog