• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I did not know that about annealing copper Rog. Unlike steel where it has to cool down slowly.

Just saw my oldest mate depart in his 1928 Riley soft top. He had been down to Devon and was on his way back to Coldstream. Still kept the hood down even in the drizzle. Been palls since we were 15 - a Basford boy with Scottish parents. He was our best man.

He had to make the whole journey without using motorways. Quite dangerous in a diminutive car doing 50mph.

That Riley was quite advanced for it's day with DOHC shafts. The original engine design was reputedly done by a 16 year old in 1918. 

• Like 3

At a pinch Rog.. you could use Aluminium washers.  As I recall the annealing process for that is to smear with natural soap and heat up until it blackens then allow the metal to cool and clean the soap/carbon off.

• Like 1

Trying to keep everything as original Col, but agree could use aluminium,I'll see what he comes back with, probably fibre

Rog

It all began yesterday. Trying to tidy up after tilers, This morning washed all the floors 3-4 times to get rid of the dust ( after hoovering them) took me a while as the grouting was very difficult to remove. I started about 9.45 and finished at 3.30  aching back and very tired. Did a few stretching exercises when a cousin from Sicely rang to say he was in Asti and he was coming over to see us.:( He arrived at 4.15, I had to go out about 5.30 along with my husband and daughter. I'd taken the dogs to my daughters so after a while it didnt look as if this cousin was going to move so I got up and fetched the little dogs and said I have to go. Everyone went out I rang the lady I was supposed to see and told her I'd be late. No problem. Took my daughter to work and went to teach 5 yrs old boy English. I'd got the lesson all organised but he insisted in showing me ALL his toys. We finally got down to the lesson and he told me he could count to 12.  First hurdle 2 pronounced chue and 3 pronounced free. He got 2 right and 3 right first go but then he couldnt get his tongue through his teeth in time to say the rest of the word. It came out fthfthfth free. He does understand some english so I'm trying him with phrases and he's very quick in repeating but lets see if he remembers on Friday. His little friend should have come along too but he wasnt well.Just returned home and made some pastina in broth. I needed that cos I havent eaten all day. Now I'm really tired its been a full day.

• Like 1

Your right Lizzie but tomorrow we've got to get the paint for everywhere cos the decorater is starting Thursday and after that I'm not doing anymore cleaning. I have a new cleaner starring on Monday so a bit more "me"time.Funnily enough after the first initial of " I've done too much" my back isnt as painful as it has been. Think its all stretching washing the doors. :rolleyes:

Ps have a good time tomorrow and hello to everyone

For once, scientists have got something right ! 

• Like 2

Having read your summer saga Nonna I have to say my impression of Italian workmen has gone downhill rapidly. What sort of tiler leaves you to clean off the grout? Are painters incapable of going to the supplier for paint?

If I'm paying good money they had better do a proper job, that includes arriving on site with everything needed and cleaning up after themselves.

• Like 3

The tiler came round this afternoon and after a heated argument he agreed to reduce the bill quite considerably. Actually the tiles do look really nice. This time I wanted something more modern and we chose wood effect. Sorry if I gave the impression that builders etc were all. alike they aren't. 

The decorator s usually carry their colour charts but we wanted to get the paint from a particular shop, one we've dealt with for years. He has everything he needs including cloths for cleaning up. He also brings his wife to clean afterwards and put everything back in order. Thats why we always call him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nearly ten o clock,Been to the Asda and got the weekly shop, all put away (not in the shed) cleaned the guttering out round the back of the place,full of leaves from the tree in the corner of the field, with heavy rain forecast for tomorrow I thought it best to clean them out, if not the drain pipe blocks  and the water comes over the side of the guttering making all the back walls wet/damp, just vacuumed round and washed and dried the breakfast pots,put them away as well (if only I was that tidy in the shed) made the fruit jellies for Mrs P, she likes a fruit jelly after her dinner,I seperate the segments of a satsuma and put equal segments into four ramekins,mix up the jelly mixture,pour into the ramekins covering the segments and put in the fridge,all work surfaces wiped down as well as the window sills,footpaths swept and once again raked up the leaves from the back garden, I am now going in the front garden to pull up the Marigolds now they have all but finished flowering, I'll scatter the seeds around the edge of the paths so we should get another good show of them next year,

Hope you all have a great day

Rog

• Like 1

Well, I've got out  of bed, had a shower and switched on the dishwasher.... bit tired now..... but definitely THINKING  about what to do for lunch

How about Poached plums in a cranberry and cinnemon syrup on a bed of French toast, nice and light and verry scrummy

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep.  I'm up and about now.  Was out  in Liverpool with my mate Picko from Boowul yesterday.  Straight into the Cavern where both Tony and Jimmy Coburn of the Cavern Club Beatles were present and very pleased to see us.  They seem to like the fact that we are stil 'rocking' at 70 ish and Tony always says "I can't believe you two were actually about when the Beatles started..." Not sure that's a compliment or what?  :) 

Tony doing his usual set of McCartney songs and in really good voice and Jimmy just along for a couple of pints.  Jimmy has a new solo album out soon.  'Waterloo Road'.  Initial interest in it seems pretty strong and he has a 'launch party' for it soon in the Cavern.

Next , Jimmy got up and did a couple of Lennon songs, before they duetted on a couple more. That's a rare treat as they usually only do separate solo spots midweek.  You can definitely tell they've sung together before...  :)

Rog, you and your lady were talking about coming up to Liverpool.  If you come during the week  I'd be happy to meet up and introduce you to a few people.. though being 'artistic' types.. you can never guarantee exactly who is going to turn up.

Here's a pretty poor phone shot of Picko, with Jimmy C (right) from the Cav yesterday.

QV1cbfU3ijdoYCbP8

Jimmy on stage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8p2ksLGcw6imoUfw8

A great afternoon.

Despite best intentions,, I had rather more pints than I should.. but was still functioning OK... ish..  Picko unfortunately became very 'tired' as we walked back to Lime St and I had to pretty much 'pour' him onto his train and reassure the young lady next to him that he's a jolly decent chap but just a 'tired'.  By this time I'd missed my train.. but only waited 20 mins or so for the next.  Grabbed a Chinese takeaway for Mrs Col and me and tottered home.  A good day.  :biggrin:

Col

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Looking at visiting Liverpool  next year Col but thanks for the offer,

Kath, again another lovely suggestion but I have a couple of sheds to clean out so don't know where I could find the time for a visit    slywink

Rog

• Like 3

Finally got into Bulwell this morning,,felt good,,went into 'Wethers' saw me old mates,,who made a right fuss of me,, at least for the first 5 minutes then it was back to normal,,all ''ragging me'' as the banter flowed.......

• Like 9

Will do Trogg,,didnt go as well as it might this morning,,my voice was not working,,and got tired very quickly,,so to be honest was'nt there long,, but will keep going bound to get better,,

Be good to see you,,

• Like 1

Good start to the day. Sliced my finger on a Whiskas tin. Blood everywhere. Hate the sight of blood, especially when it's mine!

Moggies complaining about the delay in getting their breakfast! Thank heaven for Elastoplast!

Didn't give it a like, Jill.  Made me feel queazy reading it.  Sounds like you lost an armful, as Tony Hancock would have said.  Hope those moggies didn't get a taste or you'll be on the menu.  Mrs L is always on about the dogs getting a taste for blood.  Makes me laugh.  I really can't see Bailey tearing me limb from limb.  Jake?  I'm not so sure about.  :biggrin:  Hope it heals well for you.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Finally got into Bulwell this morning,,felt good,,went into 'Wethers' saw me old mates,,who made a right fuss of me,, at least for the first 5 minutes then it was back to normal,,all ''ragging me'' as the banter flowed.......

Ben,  I hope you  are staying away from any people with coughs and colds wherever possible.. have you had your flu jab yet?   Well done for getting out and about, but please pace yourself...   it's a big thing meeting people outside home once again -  no wonder you're feeling tired xx

• Like 4