How's your day?

Had to think about that  one! Don't laugh, but I go most Sunday afternoons with a friend, it gets us out the house while sports are on the telly, and it's cheap entertainment.  It is quite boring though as they just call the numbers. I would just once like to call, and do the Brit version.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

In our street there were marbles n dobbers, dobbers were the big uns woth two little uns. Often called twoers

We called marbles 'alleys'. Snobs were 'dobs' or 'dobbers'. (Hucknall speak).

I also read here that Bingo has gone digital. What? I'm sure it was boring enough when you had to mark the numbers with a dobber but not to have to make even that small effort makes you think that the whole operation could be done without any human intervention whatsoever. Is this the next stage of human evolution or development where man is entirely superfluous? Let the machines take over the world!

BTW the one and only time I've played Bingo, the numbers were marked off with a black wax crayon which was tied to a piece of string attached to the seat in front. This was when the Byron cinema first part converted to a bingo hall.

• Upvote 1

Been to York today spent hours wandering round the Shambles bought lots of unusual bits and bobs. Got home about 7 really tired walked the dogs in bed by nine ready for sleep.......so why am i still awake ???????

Sorry What a Day/Week  found car of my dreams, took it for a test drive, luxury, it was Land Rover  Evoque  coupe it had so many extra's even down to a tv. the only thig missing was for it to make a cup of tea.  We were given a good deal for our car. Looked again at advert it stated 52,000 on clock but more infro from manger who quoted 55,000 on clock. Pointed this out to sales person (I'm sure he thought master and myself idiots) quote!! "mileage when people change their car" we take that mileage at the time when they come into buy the new car and by the time, from then till they fetch their new car there mileage will have gone up!!!!!  yes maybe but you do the maths diff 3000 in approx. 2/3 days?      On MOT 3rd OCT millage 55000. Warning bells trades description. Letting our hearts rule we bought the car. On the way home had to pull into a car park as warning triangle was on. "gear box needs attention"? . Phoned dealership said it was ok to drive home, next day master took me shopping (I don't think he trusted me to drive car) another warning came on again "engine will shut down in 3 mins due to some fault"?.  Called dealership said swap back to our old car please as this car not fit to drive. 

Morale of this story

Don't let your heart rule your head

I did complain but did not get any where  

Even wrote to the managing  Director

Did not get an apology off any one, manager spoke to master on phone not to me, but the car was in my name and it was me who had written the letters.

Dealership is in  Sherwood. 

Then they tell you that if you are not happy complain I feel sorry for who ever buys this car,

all though it was "Pure Luxury"

A while ago my husband and I came into some money and decided to buy a new car, we had never had a new one and decided to treat ourselves. Husband decided on a Vauxhall Ankara. We went and viewed the car, had test drive, had excellent coffee and then sorted out a deal. The number plate was about to change but they had some in stock on old number plate and got a really good deal. Went to pick it up and on the wat back my husband said he didn’t think much to gear box it was very awkward and he was having trouble getting it into reverse. The next day we went out and suddenly the gear box went it appeared to be in 3, not good for pulling off at traffic lights. We rang dealer he told us to get AA out as we had free membership. They came out and a small plastic widget (the technical term) had come off, he put it back on. We went out next day and same thing happened, we had to try and time it so we got to traffic lights when they were on green, it was a nitemare journey. Rang dealer and they said they would send someone out to show my husband how to use the gears. That went down very well. They came out tried to put the car in first gear and it reversed nearly hitting our neighbours car. It was taken back and we were given a courtesy car. Went to pick it up, did get a couple of freebies as compensation and it was finally okay. It did take the shine off it a bit and I never really trusted it again but we had no further problems. 

A few years ago I was buying a new car which was delivered with 3,000Km on the clock. I queried this with the dealer and was told this was the distance from the Mercedes factory to here. Now, 3,000Km is a long way (1,800 or so miles) so I pointed that out. "Ah! that is the distance all Mercedes have to go during their test drive."

What?? The car must have travelled the equivalent of Cannes - Manchester to rake up that mileage. I refused the deal, even when I was offered substantial discounts and went to a different dealership where I was treated with respect and dignity - and a new car with 5Km clocked up (approximately the distance from the dealer's premises to my home).

The moral of this tale is that it seems that car dealers are just as dubious in their business practices everywhere in the world - not all, obviously but some most certainly are.

A well known BMW dealer sold a friend of mine a new 735i. He noticed the mileage was not recording and took it in to be looked at. The mechanic came out to the car lifted the rear seat and switched something. Apparently the car had been used as a demonstrator and they had turned the odometer off somehow to stop it clocking the miles. They were quite open about it too as though it was common practice.

50 minutes ago, jonab said:

A few years ago I was buying a new car which was delivered with 3,000Km on the clock. I queried this with the dealer and was told this was the distance from the Mercedes factory to here. Now, 3,000Km is a long way (1,800 or so miles) so I pointed that out. "Ah! that is the distance all Mercedes have to go during their test drive."

What?? The car must have travelled the equivalent of Cannes - Manchester to rake up that mileage. I refused the deal, even when I was offered substantial discounts and went to a different dealership where I was treated with respect and dignity - and a new car with 5Km clocked up (approximately the distance from the dealer's premises to my home).

The moral of this tale is that it seems that car dealers are just as dubious in their business practices everywhere in the world - not all, obviously but some most certainly are.

Car dealers are the modern day equivalent of horse traders. A generally untrustworthy bunch of people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Errands done, leaves mown up, chiminea lit, and chilling on the patio with tea and a mince pie. Almost paradise !

• Like 1

nonna lives at about the same latitude as me (Nice, Cannes, Monaco) but is further east - not all that far away. It's very odd that the weather in Italy is so much, much worse there than it is here. Yes, I've experienced bad weather in the past week or so, but nothing like that in Italy.

• Like 1

Thanks for your concern Loppy. We are fine although obviously worried about the disaster. We thought the weather was going to be rainy until tomorrow but just watching the meteo its going to be worse and lasting even longer.It does seem to have passed over here or at least the worst of it. My husband has cousins in Liguria at Loana think I have mentioned it. The promenade is no longer there. Italy is really on its knees. No one has ever seen a disaster such as this. Now theres a fear of the River Po overflowing its banks. Sicily is also under water, not sure if Valledolmo is affected as its fairly high up. Loads of relatives there. When will it all end?

Agriculture has had a tough blow. Fields of fruit and veg have been destroyed . Doesnt bear thinking about. Its going to take years to get back to some sort of normality.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Loppy sorry I forgot, we are in Piemonte right in the middle ( sort of) between Turin, Milan and Genoa. The nearest town is Asti but we are 15-20 minutes away in the middle of vineyards. You've heard of Asti Spumante? Barolo etc most red wines are made in this area.

• Like 1

I'm back om. Feeling good. wait now for results. Looking forward to catching up on your posts......I feel a cup of tea coming on. Please Please husband. No more cream cakes for a while. I can't take any more!!!!! well, perhaps a small one.:biggrin:

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1