How's your day?

42 minutes ago, MargieH said:

WB   I presume the Manx Wallabies have tails....;) 

Just wondered.... How did Manx cats come to be?   I suppose it must have been a strange cat breeder who  decided that it was an attractive feature to encourage.  I don't suppose the cats feel that way!

As far as I know the tailless cats were bred to be like that. Too much inbreeding, most of them (and the stumpies) have awful health problems. Definitely need pet insurance if you take one of them on!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Love Cats and Dogs,, the day i went there did'nt see any Manx cats..........the others were just lazing the day away,,very relaxing nice staff and good coffee,, could have taken em all home with me,,      the Cats that is.......lol

• Like 2

Didn't there used to be Wallabies roaming about near Riber in Derbyshire?

I heard something similar years ago Col, but when I took my daughters up there 40 odd years ago, there was nothing.

Had a look up there sometime early 60s when camping at Merebrook Farm, just between Whatstandwell and Cromford.  We didn't see anything either, though I don't think they stood about in the open.

This says last one seems to have disappeared around 2009.    http://www.roaches.org.uk/memories5.html

Col

It'd probably be the mid 70's when I went, as the girls would be under ten. I can imagine it being a bit unnerving for the unaware if one popped out from behind a tree, as I recall it being a bit eerie.

• Like 1

Old news now, but I was in Nottm last weekend overnight for my neice's 50th.  When you have 50 year old neices, you know you are getting old...

It was a good night, at Mapperley Golf Club.  I believe there are terrific views from up there, but they aren't great in the dark, when it's cloudy.  :)

Set off home about 12:00 Sunday and decided I couldn't be bothered with the usual A50/M6 route, so I went M1/A34 and cut over to Matlock via Tansley.  Made a change.

A6 through Bakewell and Buxton and over the Cat and Fiddle pass to Macclesfield.  Sadly the Cat and Fiddle seems to still be closed.  The Setter Dog, down the other side towards Macclesfield, has been closed for years.

Anyway.. miraculously, the cloud lifted enough as we 'topped' the pass, to see spectacular views of Manchester, in the distance.  Also areas which I assume would be the Pennines stretching up towards the 'spine', between Manchester and Huddersfield. 

I've driven that route through Macclesfied a million tiimes. picking up the road to Knutsford.. but this time I managed a wrong turn and ended up lost and out in the 'sticks'.  Satnav soon had me back on course but we decided to stop at the Egerton Arms, between Chelford and Marthall, for a coffee.   Not at all bad.

Straight home from there via Knutsford, M6 etc., but the journey took almost twice what it normally takes. 

In Knutsford I ended up behind a spectacular car.  As far as I could tell.. one of these replicas of a 1936 Auburn

1936-Auburn-Boattail-Speedster.jpg

Great looker.. but not too handy for the school run.

Col

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

As I mentioned in the 'Weather' thread.. I went out for a walk up the hill this afternoon.  Took a few pics.  Nothing special, but if I can get round to posting them they'll give a 'flavour' of the 'Grand Duchy of Billinge'.  Did some weights when I got back, before settling down to 'Strictly' and a couple of films.. 'I Robot', and 'Harry Brown'.  Both entertaining and thought provoking.

As a former Chair and Member of Billinge Parish Council, I always get an invite to the Remembrance Sunday stuff. I've laid wreaths on behalf of Billinge Parish Council, both in the village, and in St Helens.  I haven't been to the ceremonies or services for some years,  but I might tomorrow.  I'm a strong supporter of the principle of remembrance, but I don't take the uncritical  'My country right or wrong' approach. The leaders of all countries are, IMHO, rather too fond of sacrificing their people.  I'll leave it there.

Also tomorrow, I'm off to Liverpool for the launch of Jimmy Coburn's new album 'Waterloo Key', at the Cavern.  Some may remember that Jimmy Coburn and Tony Coburn are the core of the Cavern Club Beatles.  Both are World renowned as interpreters of Lennon and McCartney vocals, but Jimmy has been working on his own album for about a year.  Should be fun.

I may have a half.....  or two..  :)

• Like 1

Just a steady 35 min on the rower. Shower. Porridge. Dress nicely for the service at the war memorial at the end of our road.

Super day yesterday with all four generations of our family celebrating grandsons 30th.  

• Like 4

Got an invitation to a local TA unit where I served previously. I got there early and had to scrounge a coffee off the RLC cooks. Superb buffet lads and lasses! All credit. 

Had a fantastic day, some laughs, some tears. One laugh was an RSM who I knew very very well. Not seen him in donkey's years. After a hug, he looked at my hair and said "Mr T, you look like a f%$^ing sheepdog". Kept me giggling for the rest of the day. 

Someone took a photo of the laying of wreaths at our village memorial today.  We were there and saw our youngest grandson, who is a 'Beaver' (the one before joining the Cubs) lay a wreath and do his little cub salute.  There were  the army cadets there, also the Guides, Brownies, Cubs and Britishh Legion of course..

i've had a total of 6 minutes silence today as we had one at 11am in our church this morning, one at the  Memorial and another one at the Parish Church straight after that service on the Green.  

At the service at the Parish Church, the names of all the men and boys from this village who died in both wars were read out - I think there were 51 of them and some were from the same families.....

IMG-4652.jpg

read out

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Last night I was putting the final toppings on the pizzas ready to go in the oven when there was the most terrific bang . First I thought it was the pellet stove , then the window but no it was the oven. The interior glass exploded. Course the guarantee has expired but a new glass shouldn't be too hard to find. My daughter had to put them in her oven while I cleared up  the glass.

Just thought is anyone interested in steam trains. Yesterday we had a display of historic trains . One travelled here from Turin. The train station was closed a couple of years ago because a tunnel caved in But now they are reopening the line only between here and Asti. Don't know if it's already on you tube but if anyone is interested I can post the short film on NS

• Upvote 1
On 11/12/2018 at 9:17 AM, philmayfield said:

All the clues say that’s Haddenham.

I first looked up Haddenham and Google Maps took me to a place in Bucks.  But, looking up 'The Three Kings'

has it in Haddenham , Ely.

No hiding place Margie....;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Last night I was putting the final toppings on the pizzas ready to go in the oven when there was the most terrific bang . First I thought it was the pellet stove , then the window but no it was the oven. The interior glass exploded. Course the guarantee has expired but a new glass shouldn't be too hard to find. My daughter had to put them in her oven while I cleared up  the glass.

Just thought is anyone interested in steam trains. Yesterday we had a display of historic trains . One travelled here from Turin. The train station was closed a couple of years ago because a tunnel caved in But now they are reopening the line only between here and Asti. Don't know if it's already on you tube but if anyone is interested I can post the short film on NS

Lots of interest in steam trains here Nonna, though I suspect it's mostly confined to the 'Golden Age' of British steam.  A bit of research revealed that Italy has been 'preserving' historic steam engines since 1911, and I imagine enthusiasm is just as great there as here.  This below looks like a fine machine.  The Italians have a long history of innovative engineering design in many fields and least two Italian steam loco design ideas were trialled in the UK with varying results.  The 'Franco-Crosti' boiler system, designed to improve the efficiency of the use of heat, and 'Caprotti' valve gear, also designed to improve performance.  If I recall correctly theres a British loco preserved at Swanwick near Nottm, still carrying 'Caprotti' valve gear. 

Only thing I always felt was that most 'foreign' designers and certainly not just Italians, insisted on putting too many external 'bits' on their designs, which spoiled the look, compared to the 'cleaner' lines of most UK designs.

I'm far from being a steam train  'nut'.  Others here.. (They know who they are..  ;) ) know far more than me... but I'd be interested in the film.

fs_685-196in2006_domodossolarailfaneur.j

Col

Looking at the walls of the station it could be a steam train from around here. That colour is the colour here of the stations. I did put the link on of these historic trains. Cant remember where though

• Like 1

Excellent Nonna!  Obviously plenty of interest.. and that was some viaduct at the beginning of the first vid..  Wonder how long it is?

Cant remember but remember it being built, I'll find out. It was great going to Asti in the train. Meaning the more modern ones, crossing the viaduct was an experience.

Viaduct is 3700 m long. It was built because there was a landslide along the original trainline and because the land around was prone to landslides. On our way out of the village we pass underneath it.

My day has been a bit of a disaster so i will offer this bit of advice...........if you have a black dog and dark carpets in the passage always put the light on !!!!!!.  After 5 hours in A&E and a plaster cast on my wrist my house will now resemble Blackpool illuminations, the dog is fine.

• Like 2

Oh no, poor you Gem, so sorry you’re injured.  Our Jack is small and black (well more grey than black now) and we have a black rug under the kitchen table that he disappears in.  I’ve stood on him a few times as I’ve got up from the table, fortunately neither of us have been injured from the experience.  Hope you’re recovery is quick.

• Like 1