How's your day?

There's no answer to that!

StavertonGirl.  Giving up the cigs will almost certainly make you gain weight.. at least at first.  I got down from 14.7 to 11.2 some years ago without much effort, but I was still smoking.  I piled weight on when I stopped and it's proving harder to shift this time around.  As for the cravings. I think a lot of it is psychological because apparently the physical addiction to nicotine disappears quite quickly.  Certainly within a few days.  I had a few failed attempts at giving up.  Lasted five years at one point before backsliding.  I think the answer is that you have to make your mind up that you are stopping.  That means not stopping because you need to, or because you ought to, but because you really want to.

I've just had a tin of Heinz Oxtail Soup. First food today, but I rarely eat Breakfast. ( I know..  most important meal.. etc..) Nothing else.  I'll see how I go and if I'm starving in half an hour I'll have a banana.

I always look at the calories in the soup.  Strangely, the Minestrone, which has pasta in it, is only 126 calories per can.  The Oxtail is 178 and the Mulligatawney is 234.  I suppose the lesson is 'always read the label'. If I get desperate for something  a bit 'filling', I may have one or two of those little biscuit sized Nairn's 'rough' oatcakes, but they are about 50 cals each, so it doesn't take many to 'bust' the diet.  I haven't eaten any bread at all for about a month.

I used to get the Baxter's 'Healthy Options' range of soups but can't find them any more.

Other than that, I don't snack.  Never have really.  And my evening meals are pretty normal except that I either replace things like spuds and rice with Cauli, or Turnip or Celeriac, or have massively reduced amounts, like 2 or 3 chips, a couple of dessert spoons cooked rice etc.

Seems to work and I'm not going hungry.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Came into the conservatory this morning and Samson the cat was lying there looking quite miserable. He usually welcomes me, but not this morning. Gave him a good old scratch behind the  ear. Came into the house and went for a pee. Washed hands and into the sitting room where Mrs PP was reading the paper. She looked up and said, "did you see Samson sulking"? "Er, yes, why"? "Just applied the flea ointment to his neck" she replied. Hmmmm.. so no fleas on my pubes for the next three months :rolleyes:

• Like 5

We use Stronghold on our two and it is certainly more effective than Frontline.   Expensive, though and one dose only lasts a month!  The worm tablets are effective for 3 months..

Think I may have said before that one of my cats suffers from flea related dermatitis so regular monthly spot on is essential as one bite can trigger it. Tablets?  No chance! Cat Rescue uses Stronghold and recommend it highly.

53 minutes ago, MargieH said:

We use Stronghold on our two and it is certainly more effective than Frontline.   Expensive, though and one dose only lasts a month!  The worm tablets are effective for 3 months..

I've not tried the worm tablets yet....

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Think I may have said before that one of my cats suffers from flea related dermatitis so regular monthly spot on is essential as one bite can trigger it. Tablets?  No chance! Cat Rescue uses Stronghold and recommend it highly.

I find giving them the worm tablets is easy - I just lift their front legs off the floor by holding their scruff and when they go "waaaah' I just poke the tablet right to the back of their throat, so far back that they can't do anything but swallow it!   I sometimes need to stroke their throat to encourage the swallowing.  They don't seem to mind the procedure at all and they don't rush off afterwards!  I think they quite like being partly lifted up by their scruff - perhaps it reminds them of when their mummy used to carry them?

It's a different matter with the flea spot-on.  It takes both of us to achieve that!!

• Like 1

Thanksgiving day here in the good old USA.   Turkey and general overeating the order of the day.  Newspaper packed with advertising which ends up in the recycle bin.

Tomorrow the roads and the stores will be packed with folks fighting over cheap television sets and other junk from a far Eastern place.  I'll be staying home.  Forgive my cynicism, I know some enjoy shopping for the best deal.  Just not my thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

"How's Your Day"

Well just checked my Thunder Ball and first time ever WON!!! £100   WOW

but just been to M&S and spent £96  

When will I ever learn?

Never mind "Easy Come"   "Easy Go"

Been to Ikea for only the second time looking for something to put in the dining bit of my kitchen (which is bigger than my front room, could hold a dance in it). I was looking for a table and chairs but then I saw a red 2 seater settee, it would match my black and red kitchen (not my colour choice) and a really nice coffee table. Got my sensible head on and decided to measure before buying. Got back home and just by looking can see it will be too big, feel crushed. Oh well back to the drawing board.

• Upvote 1

Just been to Tai Chi (Friday morning) we have a great teacher, but this morning she looked a bit worse for ware. We were all worried  about her, so we ask if there was a problem. Then she told us, her son was on the main road riding along on his bike, when out from the co-op car park came this car which hit him, the car backed up and drove around him and left her son on the road with his legs trapped under the bike. Her son was taken off to Kings  Mill but his leg was so swollen that they let him home till swelling had gone down. Next day back to Kings Mill and his leg had been broken in three places. This young man is only 20 he has just started a job which he loves it has taken him quite a while to find employment. Now imagen how he feels, as well as feeling CR!!!!!!! he has also lost his job as the firm can't wait 3/5 months for him to get better. 

So if you are reading this and are that person who left the accident SHAME ON YOU. If any member knows who the person could be please let the police know. 

Just been asked if i want a "chaperone "  I'm sat wearing just a cravat and a pair of nice jeans,,  lol

• Like 1

Still battling ciggie cravings, must admit have given in a couple (well perhaps a few more) times. Don’t have any now so am depending on willpower and occasional puff in my vape thingy. Didn’t think it would be this hard but have smoked for over 40 years,  don’t know which is best to have a packet in house so I know they are there and be tempted to have one or not have any and worry about that:Shock: Got someone coming out to have a look at condensation in house and see about a PIV unit in loft. (Thanks to Brew for telling me about them, had never heard of them.) Have done research (well had a look at them on internet and they sound like what I need ). Contacted a couple of firms in the area but only 1 got back to me despite the other firm advertising they get back to you in 24 hours so will see what he says. I would really like at least 2 inspections to be on the safe side. Got mixed feelings about it, half of me wants one to sort out problem and the other half is baulking at the price (my fathers daughter he was very frugal with money). Life seems very complicated at moment!

• Like 1

Keep battling! Forty years is a long time but you can do it.

It's a little bit easier now that you don't get it on all sides in pubs and buses isn't it?

(Don't know what PIV is but good luck with that as well.)

That is true but can smell someone smoking in street from a mile away! I keep reminding myself how much money I am saving and what I can do with it.

• Like 1

Another tip for you SG. Nicorette sprays have an instant effect when the craving is driving you up the wall, they really do work. The down side is they are not all that pleasant despite the 'minty fresh' claim. Do not spray into the mouth the way you see on the advert, a tiny squirt into the cheek is better. Have a tissue ready - your mouth will generate a lot of moisture. You will feel like burping for a few minutes

3 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Didn’t think it would be this hard but have smoked for over 40 years,  don’t know which is best to have a packet in house so I know they are there and be tempted to have one or not have any and worry about that

Don't give in. If you must have a packet in the house, have a packet of herbal cigarettes in. They taste awful (I thought) so they come in handy when the urge is overwhelming,  but two puffs and you stub it out, and blotted out the craving.

Put your fag money in a jar every day and label it with something you'd like to get (not 200 cigs!).

Persevere,  there's a whole new life beyond the fag packet!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1