• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Hi Loppy. Sorry to hear of your problems   Sounds similar to events I had in 2008 and 2010. They only affected my arm and resolved within a few days. But they are recorded as strokes because to count as a TIA.. ( transient ischaemic attack ) symptoms need to resolve in less than 24 hours. 

I was on Clopidogrel for years but now on low dose aspirin.  Please do what your Doc tells You!!

Hope it all comes right. 

• Like 1

Poppy so sorry to hear of your problems but it seems that the whole of NS is on your side and giving you lots of reassurance from experiences. Do hope all goes well for you and regards your cd results, it's annoying isn't it when you can't look at them. I've got quite a collection and nothing I have will "play" them. All the best.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

You're on Dog tablets?  Just look on em as chews. You'll be fine.  Your Bach might be worse than your bite but you'll be fine.

Right on, Jill.  just took the Organ test.  my Bach is indeed much worse than my bite.  To tell you the truth I just about wept when I got off the organ.. Right hand fingers drooping and pressing wrong keys.  timing gone to pot.   Right now I feel like I need to relearn everything.  if Col is correct this cannot be a TIA because it is now some three days.  I couldn't play at all Sunday afternoon now its just slow and error prone reading the music note by note.

It will improve, Loppy.

The friend I mentioned has also had two pretty serious strokes and, after the second one, his speech sounded like Stephen Hawking! A speech therapist came to his home every day to work with him and he was soon back to normal. Can't shut him up now. Quite remarkable. So, look on the bright side. What's the odd dog chew matter?

• Like 1

I know you are right, Jill.  Its just very discouraging at the moment.

Dog tablets made me smile though. They almost sound like me if you leave the C  off.  Loppydogrel.  lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gem said:

Wishing you well Loppy do as the doctor orders, if you need stress relief go to your lads, a cuddle from them will work wonders.

Thanks Gem.  You are right.  They seem to know I'm not 100% and they are giving me a lot of fuss.  you've gotta just love 'em.

• Like 2

Just rereading this topic and sorry LOPPY not POPPY. slip of the finger maybe anyway hope you're feeling better and relaxed, that'll play a big part to your well being.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Just rereading this topic and sorry LOPPY not POPPY. slip of the finger maybe anyway hope you're feeling better and relaxed, that'll play a big part to your well being.

Don't worry about it Nonna.  I've been called worse than that in my time.  Lol.  I just thought maybe it was your computer or Ipad having a bit of fun.  Bit better  so far, I don't have any  doctor visits scheduled for a day or two now.  Just keep taking my dog tablets.  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We have lived here for over 30 years and had no mice. We get these two kittens and when they are about 5/6 months old they start bringing things in like frogs, moths and feathers. I suspect that they brought this mouse in!

No use nor ornament. Oddly enough I've taken quite a liking to them :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Business trip to Liverpool today so up a bit earlier than usual and on the rowing machine at 6.30. A bit of early day exercise energises me, rather than tiring me out. Earn't my real ale 'sundowner' with mates in the local.  Dinner just called :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

My wife and I have driven up the A46 from Northants today to visit Lincoln's Victorian Christmas Market and it's been a very nice visit indeed.

I visited Nottingham's German Market in the square a few years back and thought it was very uninspiring but  the Lincoln Market by way of contrast is excellent.

I loved Nottingham in the 50s and 60s when I was growing up there but it's lost it’s charm for me these days. The Old Market Square, Burtons, The Parliament St Co-Op and The Flying Horse all gone. Such a shame.

• Like 2

Made my ravioli today and put them in the freezer. Tomorrow mince pie. I have to use my mincemeat up, it must be very mature by now.

In a near shopping centre we have a very large chinese shop that sell everything. A lot of rubbish but also loads of made in Italy things. I stocked up with baking items such as gift bags , trays for sweets etc I saved quite a bit. Going back again tomorrow once I know what I need for neighbours and friends gifts ( I usually bake cakes, biscuits , mince pies etc for them) They love them as the things I make are so different from Italian bakery products.

• Like 3

'Le Plum Pudding', Christmas cake and mince pies are almost unknown here. Many years ago I showed Mme what they were and how to make them. Although her efforts have a characteristic 'Frenchness', they are a reasonable imitation of the things my granny used to make.

The thing is that these Christmas items have become well known amongst the neighbours so there is a Christmas kitchen taking place here from the end of October supplying all and sundry with free English Christmas treats.

Fortunately, it all fits well with the local Christmas speciality treats that we get given or that Mme makes herself.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, jonab said:

'Le Plum Pudding', Christmas cake and mince pies are almost unknown here. Many years ago I showed Mme what they were and how to make them. Although her efforts have a characteristic 'Frenchness', they are a reasonable imitation of the things my granny used to make.

The thing is that these Christmas items have become well known amongst the neighbours so there is a Christmas kitchen taking place here from the end of October supplying all and sundry with free English Christmas treats.

Fortunately, it all fits well with the local Christmas speciality treats that we get given or that Mme makes herself.

They aren't known here either although the reaction when I tell them in august or september that I've made mincemeat or just taken my christmas cake out of the oven, they are horrified. It will go bad they say. Little do they know that especially the cake will be sozzled by christmas. But the thing is that most italians do not like dried fruit even in the Pannettone. I have stopped making christmas cake as its mostly me that eats it . It takes a while but I cant see the sense in making it. Mincepies are different I prepare them and still raw I freeze them, so that when we want to eat them hot with a bit of brandy butter all I have to do is take a few out and cook them. We also have local festivities during the year. One is the product " cougna" a group od housewives make the version and they sell this and other products and at the end there is always a winner ( usually the same one ). Persoally I dont like it. Its a concoction of fruit and nuts everyone has their own version. Apparently is has to cook for hours on end. I suppose you can say its similar to a sweetish chutney.

Bitter oranges, wish we could find them easily here. I make all my own jams etc but have to use sweet oranges for marmalade but its not the same. Another thing my SIL gave me a jar of orange jam that she made so I gave her one of mine. " But its got peel in" I explained that it was typical of english marmalade ( marmellata, being the italian for jam) so difficult to explain the difference. Its like saying to an italian thats its jam ( marmalade) not jam

What a lovely festa but unfortunately all the photos dont load. But I'll keep looking.

• Like 1

Not heard of cougna. Is it like Mostarda? I find mostada to be a revolting mix of fruit and vegetables in a mustard flavoured syrup. It would be OK without the mustard in it but then it would be just stewed fruit in syrup.

I'm surprised you don't have Bigararde oranges local to you. You don't live very far away so the climate is probably similar. Aren't you able to get a tree from a garden centre? (BTW, how did your lemon tree go? The last we heard, early in the year, all the leaves had dropped off).

I love Panettone. I always make sure there is a good stock around. Particularly nice soaked in Marsala (or one of the local orange liqueurs) and served with whipped cream - very bad for me, I know but, it's a special treat once a year.

• Upvote 1

Mrs Compo called me a miserable sod for not wanting to put Xmas decorations up until just before the day. However, I don't think I'm doing so badly, just take a look at the dwaves: "Dwarf contentment seemed to be at an all-time low yesterday as a leaked government report revealed that six out of seven dwarves were not Happy. However, a later paragraph in the same report suggested that only one out of seven dwarves was Grumpy, leading psychologists to conclude that perhaps as many as five dwarves were neither Happy nor Grumpy, but somewhere in between."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

Bitter oranges, wish we could find them easily here

I wish I could find some thick cut bitter Orange marmalade here.

Marmalade here is much too sweet. I reckon that even the imported stuff like Roses and Robertsons is made sweet to suit Australian tastes

• Like 1

My guess is your tastes have changed as you got older, can't see why marmalade would be any sweeter today than years back, after all, it's mostly sugar as it was years ago. I've noticed a lot of things "don't taste like they did" , I put it down to my sense of smell has also diminished over the years,  small and taste work together.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bitter orange trees are used in the landscapjng along roadsides here. The oranges fall or rot on the trees. No one uses them. My dad who loved to make marmalade with bitter oranges, would have loved picking them for free.

• Like 2