How's your day?

38 minutes ago, katyjay said:

Bitter orange trees are used in the landscapjng along roadsides here. The oranges fall or rot on the trees. No one uses them. My dad who loved to make marmalade with bitter oranges, would have loved picking them forĀ free.

What a waste! most parts of citrus trees are of value - some very high value when processed.

Here, in BsL from the bitter orange tree, the distilled flowers give neroli oil and orange flower water, the fruits give bitter orange (bigarade) oil, the pruned twigs and leaves give petitgrain oil - all of which are of high value in perfumery and flavouring - there are also the uses in making local alcoholic drinks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Still can't get onto here without using a VPN.Ā  It's not a good situation.

I currently use Glary Utilities and Adwarecleaner.Ā  I've also been into 'Control 'and deleted all cookies etc.Ā  I've also checked all internet settings including things like DNS and so on.Ā  I have literally tried every single thing suggested by numerous friends, experts and online sources.Ā  The fact that I can log in via my phone, and also via a VPN (which in effect just presents the site with aĀ  different IP address) clearly shows that there's something about my true IP address which is either not recognised, or is 'rejected' by the site software.Ā  Non of the Admin/Mods I've contacted have been able to do anything about it.

Ā 

Jonab I thought the same thing that we were almost neighbours but I have asked at the markets and no one knows what bitter oranges are. Maybe a garden centre would know more. Seville oranges are the ones I used in UK. Ā My lemon tree is coming on in leaps and bounds, it is now wrapped up for the winter, I dont have anywhere where I can leave them without protection. The kumquats are almost ripe and the lemon tree did have a few buds on but at the moment I can't see through the protection

Mostarda isn't a bit like cougna' , I dont like it either. The ravioli I made yesterday with pumpkin Ā and amaretti needed mostarda but I left it out and added some more amaretti and parmesan.

I've just finished cooking my dinner in an airfryer ( a gift from my daughter) 2 chicken drumsticks and a couple of potatoes made into chips.. Not very adventurest you say but it only arrived today and I wanted something simple to try it out.I followed the suggestions but think I will up the temperature and increase the timing. Not bad for first try, it saves pots and pans which is what I hate in the winter evenings having to wash everything.

DJ, have you tried using a different browser? A cache is browser dependent and may be full on the browser on the machine that you are using. Changing to another will check that.

Jonab Bigerade and seville oranges are one and the same. Just found out what they are called in Italian " melangoli". I've never heard of it . But will ask around.the only plants of fruit the farmers know the names of are the grapes ! Next door have a bitter orange tree but when I asked she didnt know what it was called and it certainly didnt look like a seville.

This PC has three separate user accounts.Ā  Mine, Mrs Col and an Admin one, although we all have admin 'status'.Ā  I've just asked Mrs Col to let me try logging in here using her account.Ā  She uses a different browser.Ā  I use Firefox, she uses IE.Ā  Made no difference.Ā  Still can't log on.Ā  The PC only has the one IP addressas far as I know so I'm convinced the problem is at the site end.Ā  It's not resolving my IP address or something.Ā  This all happened suddennly a couple of nights ago when I was trying to post a reply the Margie inĀ  'What are you listening to?.'.Ā  I saw something change, my post disappeared and that was that.Ā  I'm only here now because I spent hours finding and installing a free VPN.

O2 has suffered endless problems over the last few days Col, which in turn has affected Mrs Fly's Giff Gaff and What's App.Ā 

Luckily I'm T MobileĀ 

It affected my daughter, who uses Giff Gaff.Ā  Part of the same group as 02 IĀ  think.Ā  But she was able to use whatsapp via wi-fi to contact me.Ā  I had an 02 phone from Tesco very briefly a few years back.Ā  My first Smart Phone.Ā  The phone was one of those horrible Windows based things and and O2 just has drwadful signal round here so I took it back.Ā  Told them they'd sold it to me knowing full well where I lived and what the signal was like.Ā  They gave me a grudging full refund.Ā  Next up they tried to charge me a tenner for the calls they said I'd made while I had it.Ā  I got that back smartish after teling them that I'd had no worthwhile calls whatever.

While I'm on a moaning roll..Ā  "You.. Col? .. Moaning?. Surely not?..."Ā 

Ā 

We have Virgin Broadband and TV. The broadband is pretty decent but the TV with the 'Tivo' box is rubbish.Ā  Very slow and clunky.Ā  'Catch Up' services often don't work and their version of 'catch up' for BBC channels is just to connect you to iPlayer.. except it takes ten times longer than going direct via the smart TV.

Trouble is Mrs Col set up the account and could never find passwords etc.Ā  She got through to somebody on the phone who was useless.Ā  Then another guy who was worse.Ā  I requested a new 'V6 Box' which is much better all around and they were giving them away free until very recently.Ā  Bloke wanted Ā£150 off us and I told him in no uncertain terms that wasn't happening.

Eventually, I got enough info together from old bills etc., and using Mrs Col's email was able to reset the password and log in to 'our' account.Ā  Straight onto their 'live chat' and moaning for England about the way they treat existing customers whilst they promise the Earth to new customers.Ā  Was immediately offered a V6 box for 25 quid.Ā  I could maybe have pushed harder but I was so relieved I just said ."Yep!Ā  That'll do me".

Ā 

Job done.Ā  Box comes tomorrow.Ā  But of course I won't be able to swap boxes until Mrs Col has watched everything saved on the Tivo......Ā  :angry:

• Upvote 1

A Windows facility that seems somewhat neglected nowadays is System Restore. This allows the user to recover the state of a machine to what it was in before a disaster/fault occurred. Even if I have the slightest suspicion that my computer may be at fault in causing problems, I carry out a System Restore.

Been trying to contact nonnab regarding our orange conversation.

Ā 

I've tried at least ten times and had my post disappear into the ether on each attempt.

Ā 

What I wanted to say was that I am seeing a friend and ex-colleague later who is something of an expert on all things citrus (he works in the essential oils division for the company where I used to work in Grasse which is a worldwide major processor of citrus products).

Ā 

I agree that Bigarade and Seville oranges look verry different to each other even though they are the supposed to be the same variety.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, I see what you mean about Youtube postings, for some reason it goes white paged, but coming back the post is still there. I'll contact Mick and see what he can find.

• Like 1