How's your day?

8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to all who are suffering.

Ben.  Briliant to hear you are out and about. If you can cope with the ubiquitous speed bumps on Bestwood Est., you must be getting better.  Did you take in Southglade.

Thanks Col,, starting to shake mesen abit more ta,,.......yes i did take in Southglade,,had relations there at 52,, Ron and Brenda Humphries,, thought about you as i drove along there,what number did you live?

Back in the 50s and 60s had many relations mostly on Leybourne and Andover,,today i have just one,, a cousin on Leybourne who is a bit of a recluse,,then the nearest another relation lives is just after Southglade on Morrell bank.  she is another Cousin and a bit of a character,,call in from time to to time.        We wax lyrical for a while and laugh a lot...............strange thing is as much as i enjoy her,,always feel a bit sad on leaving,, suppose thats what Nostalga does for you.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

If you can cope with the ubiquitous speed bumps on Bestwood Est.,

When they first built Bestwood Park Drive we used to go full tilt down the hill towards 'The White Hart' pub on Mansfield road on our trolleys.  Many a bump and graze were had on that slope but I'll bet we travelled faster than any car can today!

Not a good day today....have to clean out teh under-sink cupboard. Does anyone else have one like this or is it just me?!

45377885035_91283a4c66_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ours is similar, but funnily enough, it's stuff I never use ! 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Thanks Col,, starting to shake mesen abit more ta,,.......yes i did take in Southglade,,had relations there at 52,, Ron and Brenda Humphries,, thought about you as i drove along there,what number did you live?

Back in the 50s and 60s had many relations mostly on Leybourne and Andover,,today i have just one,, a cousin on Leybourne who is a bit of a recluse,,then the nearest another relation lives is just after Southglade on Morrell bank.  she is another Cousin and a bit of a character,,call in from time to to time.        We wax lyrical for a while and laugh a lot...............strange thing is as much as i enjoy her,,always feel a bit sad on leaving,, suppose thats what Nostalga does for you.

It looks like you’ve had relations in lots of places Ben - not to mention lots of relatives.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Look on the bright side, Compo. At least you don't have OCD!

Too right. Otherwise it's "Sleeping with the Enemy" territory!

Had to do a double take, Compo - thought the Christmas fairies had nicked my cupboard.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

At least you don't have OCD!

Oh yes I do! I am able to ignore this because it is usually out of sight. For example: you should see me when I park the car,  pass a crooked photo frame, or see cutlery in the wrong positions!  

Ben after reading of yours and DJs trip to Bestwood Estate I went up there today first time for many many years and I must admit the place saddened me . So much has changed and not for the better, half of the shops on Andover road have gone, and there is a general atmosphere that the place is unloved and uncared for. Times were different when we lived there it was our home and the place was generally looked after.  I did smile as I passed a couple of houses , it must have been some thing in the air in the 60s.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, trogg said:

Ben after reading of yours and DJs trip to Bestwood Estate I went up there today first time for many many years and I must admit the place saddened me . So much has changed and not for the better, half of the shops on Andover road have gone, and there is a general atmosphere that the place is unloved and uncared for. Times were different when we lived there it was our home and the place was generally looked after.  I did smile as I passed a couple of houses , it must have been some thing in the air in the 60s.

What saddened me Trogg was knowing all the people i knew were gone............and seeing the old Marsdens shop all closed up,,.....it was a 'Cafe' a few years ago and i wish i had gone in,,always meant to,,but never got round to it..........the whole estate seems so quiet nowadays.....but i'm sure behind those closed doors there are folk who could tell a tale about the estate in the 90s when it was 'notorious for certain things,,

• Like 1

Know exactly what you mean, Ben, Trogg.

As a kid I grew up along Carlton Road, and lived on Cardale. In my late teens I moved out of the city and lived in Eastwood for years. Within the last 7 or 8 years we’ve moved back into the Mapperley area, so when I go into Nottingham I often go down Porchester, sit at the traffic lights looking at the house where I grew up, and then drive down Carlton Road remembering how it was, how we were, and wondering where those kids are now.

I often wish I hadn’t come back. It seemed like “coming home” at the time, but the memories were good and the reality is tinged with sadness.

Should have stayed in Eastwood (and THAT’S saying something!!)

• Like 4

Yes, you can't go back. I'm planning a trip to my old school and environs in the spring. I know I'm probably going to regret it because it won't be as it was and the people are gone. That said, it remains as it was in my head and nothing can change that.

I get a similar effect by visiting Clifton. I haven’t lived there since the late 70s but sometimes drive through if I’m in the area. Physically it hasn’t changed much, but it’s a surprise to realise that many of the people there now weren’t even born the last time I set foot in the place.

I’m in a FB group which covers Clifton Past and Present, and it’s strange to see posts from people who i remember from 30+ years ago and hadn’t had any contact with since. More surprising is that many of them still remember me, and recently I’ve had a lot of communication with people who I last saw at  infants and junior school. I remember them, but wouldn’t have recognised them today - although with a bit of online help that has now changed.

• Like 3

I went to a Padstow school reunion late 80's or early 90s.........really enjoyed it,,a few from my year (mainly girls) a few i had maintained contact with thru football and work,,even a couple of Teachers.

It was held at the school (now gone) and we had afters in the 'Duke of ST Albans' the master of ceremony's was 'big Woody' an old mate a bit older than me,and a larger than life 'Character' he actually got me and my life long friend Trevor (now passed) to do a duet....we were awful....lol..........but a good night was had....wish i was there with em tonight........:rolleyes:

• Like 4

Must just add.....that night there was a few of the Bestwood Mafia'' in attendance,, who also enjoyed the night and as always when in the company of their Bestwood elders,, behaved impeccably ,,

edit........I knew many of their friends and RELATIONS.............

A few years ago, I kept on thinking it would be nice to go back and live in  Woodthorpe again..... but then I realised it wasn't the 'place' I was thinking about, it was the people I knew there when I was young .... ..I suppose the feeling was actually a desire to go back in time  and be young again!  

A lot of the area I was thinking about hasn't actually changed that much (apart from all the houses on Breckhill fields)  and we still drive round there sometimes when we are in Nottingham, ....but it does FEEL different because I'm no longer that young girl in the 40s and 50s.

I sometimes google my old address to see if the house is up for sale, but then If we bought it, it wouldn't feel like home because my parents aren't there any more.

So I think we'll  just stay  where we are, because I have a good life here with lots of friends around and some of our family nearby.   (But I still love visiting Nottingham and think in some strange way, a bit of me is still there somewhere!)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Did people get nostalgic for the old days to this degree before the internet was invented ?

Yes, CT. My father was forever reminiscing about Chapel Street in Beeston and Church Street Schools. His uncle, the youngest of eight, escaped from his nursing home aged 90 and was found wandering round Beeston clad in his pyjamas, dressing gown and slippers. When apprehended, he said he was trying to find Chapel Street where he had also lived as a child!

I used to tease my father about his constant mental excursions into his past. Now I'm doing precisely the same thing!  Must be owd age!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My mum used to tell me stories about when she was young and living on a farm - I always wanted to hear these stories instead of a storybook before I went to sleep.   I heard them all so often but that didn't matter - I used to just imagine I was there with her as she played with her siblings on the farm.  

So I do like spoken stories but I think I prefer written memories as I can go back and re-read them whenever I like..  I've written the story of my life for our children to read when I'm gone but it's still just saved on the laptop.  I really ought to print it out but I keep adding things as I remember them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Totally the opposite I think. Google has dramatically enhanced the information that is available world wide. Parochial storytelling was very insular and extremely prone to elaboration, exaggeration, downright lies, and misinterpretation.

Google gives us untold insight into subjects that were unimaginable even twenty years ago. There is absolutely nothing that can't be investigated these days.

Amusing as family elders tales were, after a couple of generations, they become vastly distorted.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Hi Ben.  We were at No. 40 from around 1951/2. Can't recall exactly when Mum left, but she was in residential care for around 6 years and died in 2015, so maybe 2008/9.   We no longer have any stake in that address and I have no idea who lives there, but it is directly opposite the fairly recently built 'Forum Drive'.

People came and went, but when I was a kid, it was us at 40, Gambles at 42, Sanders at 44, Bramleys at 46, Smiths at 48, French at 50 and Wass at 52.  But Wass's went off to Oz or somewhere late 50s early 60s.

Speaking of recluses.  There was a bloke who lived almost behind us but on Leybourne.  Next end house on the right as viewed from our back yard.  Didn't see him much.  I expect he's long dead now.  They had these dark tan curtains up at the back forever. Never did anything with the garden.  He had a lad, who never seemed to have any contact with anyone else. Probably closer to your age than mine.  Seemed to come and go as if working, but I don't think I ever spoke to him.  My late Sister lived very close to the old 28 terminus on Leybourne and her hubby still does.

Place may be more 'developed' now.. but it is a shadow of the paradise it once was.

Edit:  With all due respect to your relatives on Morrel Bank.. That was part of either old Jarve Goddard's meadow, or the old WW2 POW camp 'when ahh wurr a lad...''

• Like 3