How's your day?

Oi!!!  I built those tower blocks .. ( with a bit of assistance from a few others)  They were perfectly OK when I left them..

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

A nice front garden and well trimmed Privets took that role

That's what stood out on my recent trip around Bestwood, the privets were mostly over grown and the front gardens many you couldn't see as the privets were over 6 foot. At the end of the day I wont moan too much as it was my home estate. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, oldphil said:

I'm still not sure how that all works - someone here did explain it, I think, but I'm no Brian Cox.

I think it's something to do with the tilt of the Earth's axis, or the wobble, or summat.  But I don't quite get it either.

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/ten-things-december-solstice.html

Col

Just now, DJ360 said:

Oi!!!  I built those tower blocks .. ( with a bit of assistance from a few others)  They were perfectly OK when I left them..

no problem with the build. Initially, the penthouse blocks were desirable. I had to do several Electoral roll canvasses in subsequent years, and my Business Studies thesis was on their social and economic decline, which was as abrupt as it was spectacular. Per head of population housed, the Stockhill Lane houses proved a much better long term investment. That is the trouble - Government, local or national, can only see as far as the next election. Real life is usually much longer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Indeed..!  Plus.. "I can't stand 'ere chattin' all day!  I've got me nets steeping, I've pots to side and clinkers to riddle.."  :laugh:

did any one get told that tea would consist of a run round the kitchen table and a kick at the pantry door? Or even a jar full of cellar steps?

I don't know if I am alone with this one. My mum would have fainted with embarrassment if  she knew the connotations today of her reply to 'Whats for tea Mam'........my little lady mummy would reply 'Three jumps at the cupboard door'. :blush:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oldphil said:

was the home the Old Rectory, Rivergreen or Laura Chambers Lodge? Used to visit those three fortnightly to pay the residents pocket money and pick up their pension books. This was the bad old days, when the council ran all the homes. I often had to scoot out with the staff to retrieve the odd stray.

It was the one on Sturgeon Avenue. Looking on Streetview it's now called Kingfisher Court, but back then it was called The Spinney.

19 hours ago, MargieH said:

My mum used to tell me stories about when she was young and living on a farm - I always wanted to hear these stories instead of a storybook before I went to sleep.   I heard them all so often but that didn't matter - I used to just imagine I was there with her as she played with her siblings on the farm.  

So I do like spoken stories but I think I prefer written memories as I can go back and re-read them whenever I like..  I've written the story of my life for our children to read when I'm gone but it's still just saved on the laptop.  I really ought to print it out but I keep adding things as I remember them.

I am doing the same thing for my grandchildren but it in the form of a book that asks what I did. Its makes interesting reading when I remember to fill it in

4 hours ago, carni said:

I don't know if I am alone with this one. My mum would have fainted with embarrassment if  she knew the connotations today of her reply to 'Whats for tea Mam'........my little lady mummy would reply 'Three jumps at the cupboard door'. :blush:

My dad used to tell me "bread and scratch it" or " duck under the table"

Had a busy day today I made a train. The steam train is passing through the village again tomorrow so thought it appropriate to display at my daughters restaurant which is opposite the train station.

IMG-3042.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Very good, nonna.   You are a very talented lady!

Today, we have been to help our eldest son and his family move house.  We set off  at 6am to travel the 80 miles to Bicester and didn't get back home until 9pm.   

Our sonwas moving himself to save money, but even with everyone helping it's been a big job and a tiring day.  He, Paul and our 17 year old grandsons all helped with the lifting, while his wife and I did lots of packing kitchen stuff, and then unpacking it all again at the new house, which was only 3 miles away!  Although the new house is bigger, the kitchen has fewer cupboards so I think they might have to get rid of some things.   

Anyway, everything got moved... including their cat who has made herself at home in the closed bedroom of one of our grandsons.     She  usually sleeps on his bed anyway, so it must feel almost like home.   She has her cat litter tray in there, plus food and water , so I'm sure she'll be OK.  

Their dog is round a friend's house so they'll fetch him tomorrow.  

Seeing as we got up this morning soon after 4am, I'm ready for bed now.    Night night all ....

• Like 3

Today I awoke intending to do some weight training and go for a swim.  In the end I felt a bit 'iffy', so decided instead to do nothing all day.  I did it with enthusiasm.  :) I recently read somewhere that there are positive health benefits to having a day every so often where you do nothing.  Seems like a plan.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just don't make a habit of it Col. It's easy to become an obese couch potato !

• Like 1

Well today I thought Id better make a start on my Christmas shopping, yes I know, not ideal to venture into Nottingham on a Saturday a week before Christmas, but I’ve been Nurse Gladys this past week or so. My husband has been away in Jamaica and did too much physical work whilst there. He was suffering with lower back pain before he flew home but then had a 9 hour flight and a 4 hour drive home from Gatwick.  Didn’t do his back a lot of good (at his age!). So in the past 9 days he’s been to the physio 4 times and GP once to get some meds.  Apparently his problem is sciatica and I’m hoping it doesn’t last as long as my sciatica a couple of years ago which occurred after major surgery ..... that took at least 6 months to go away and to be honest I still have a problem in one leg if I stretch when I’ve just woken up, I get excruciating cramp and have to leap out of bed!  I’ve certainly become a lot fitter in the past month, averaging 3 miles a day walking the dog, a chore we generally share.   

Anyway, whilst in poor old House of Fraser there was a sudden scream, I turned to see someone had fallen down the escalator.  Lots of folk ran to the lady’s assistance and stopped the escalator.  It was really quite a shock and I truly hope she wasn’t injured, a chap said he saw her fall backwards down it.  I didn’t hang around as I didn’t think it fair for dozens of folk to stand gauping.  

Got a bit wet getting home and wrapped a few pressies, probably go into town again tomorrow!!

• Upvote 3

More torture then ? You're a glutton for punishment. Wait till Monday when the kids are back at school.

• Upvote 1

Mrs Fly has been doing our Christmas shopping since about August, but then there are about twenty odd in her clan ! 

Just listening to 'The Christmas Session' on BBC4.  A load of folkies doiing Christmas stuff.  Unthanks, Thea Gilmore, Bellowhead etc.  Apart from the cheering, it kind of reminds me of the Christmas Carol Services we had at High Pavement Chapel, when I was a schoolie..

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Just don't make a habit of it Col. It's easy to become an obese couch potato !

From experience?  :happy:

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with a 

8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Today I awoke intending to do some weight training and go for a swim.  In the end I felt a bit 'iffy', so decided instead to do nothing all day.  I did it with enthusiasm.  :) I recently read somewhere that there are positive health benefits to having a day every so often where you do nothing.  Seems like a plan.

Nothing wrong with having a rest day, gives you time to take stock of things. I sometimes have pj days, especially if the weather is like it was yesterday, (nothing better than snuggling on settee watching box sets or reading while the rain is lashing at the window). I was a bit worried about retiring, thought I might get bored as I have always worked, although only part time the last few years, but it is great being able to do what you want when you want. I can heartily recommend it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Has to make sense. Not that long ago Sunday was a rest day. Are we really better off with a seven day a week culture?

• Upvote 1

Everyone seems to be in a rush (or on their mobile phone) these days. It wasn’t like that when I was younger (oh dear sound like an old fogey),  people seemed kinder and had time for things, but perhaps that is rose coloured spectacles?

This might not be relevant but have just got back home from my annual pilgrimage to Nottingham, to find through my letterbox a greeting from Nottingham council. I had apparently strayed onto a bus lane and the council graciously sent me a £60.00 fine !! I thought what a nice way to welcome me home, that the council remembered one of it's sons. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU NOTTINGHAM !