How's your day?

3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Regarding posts veering off at a tangent. Well How's Your Day? encompasses a vast amount of scope for people to relate their experiences. So if we've got say 30 odd regular posters, that means there could be at least a dozen subjects being discussed at any one time. Yes, it can be extremely confusing for newbies to negotiate their way around the site. 

Maybe we should seek out existing topics rather than creating new ones. Just a thought !

Its hard to keep on track sometimes.  With my own recent health problems I think I started it here in this thread  because it sure affected my day.  Lol.

Then I continued in the thread about health and aiments, because I thought it probably belonged more over there. Not really out of place in either one but it might have confused a newby.  I' ve found this to be true in most forums not just NS.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Sorry for putting a damper on " hows your day" but mine has been spoiled by having to wade through all these posts that go on and on. It doesnt help because the site is being dominated by them. 10- 12 - sometimes 14 per day is no fun having to wade through them. Ive done just that in the past but now Ive had enough, its abouttime someone did something or say something about it. It doesnt matter if I get a notice about this post as I think many others feel the same.

Sorry......

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I don’t think it’s fair, though, to say what people can post. Some folks like to post word games or song associations, and although it’s not something I join in, I don’t think it’s a big problem - I just glance at them in passing. Some folks like to post photos, some have a conversation with each other - not a problem for me.

When I come on here via my ipad, I just tap “Activity” and then “All activity”. That way I can just whizz down the new posts and pick the ones that appeal.

I don’t use the “Ignore” facility because nobody upsets me that much - and even the one’s I don’t read very often might one day come up with a really interesting post. 

Live and let live, I say. We don’t have THAT many members!

Hope you don’t mind me putting in my two-pennorth, Phil. Not criticising you in any way, jusy saying how I look at it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Try to keep my meagre posts to a minimum, that way I don't want to bore people to distraction. I try to post a question or maybe a response to others. Please, someone tell me I'm doing it right. B.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Try to keep my meagre posts to a minimum, that way I don't want to bore people to distraction. I try to post a question or maybe a response to others. Please, someone tell me I'm doing it right. B.

You're doing just fine BK

You definitely are Beekay. Don’t keep your posts to a minimum, please keep contributing. That’s what keeps the site going. Nobody dictates what or how many times you post, and if you should go absolutely mad one day I’m sure the mods will soon delete it! (I’ve managed to avoid it so far, so I’m sure you won’t be a problem!)

Keep going, youth. Dip yer bread in! 

• Like 3

It has been stated before...the word games and follow-on posts were introduced in the early days for one purpose.... to increase the volume of post counts/site activity which affects how the site is viewed by search engines. Therefore, the more posts the better for the site.

How some members can have the temerity to try to restrict posting, to me is arrogance beyond words.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Beekay.. My advice is simple.  Respond if you want to, read on or ignore if you don't. Don't be worried about boring people.  Nobody is obliged to read what you write, but some may be very interested. I can (very rarely) post a single word response, but mostly I like to write, so I post lots of words.  I do try to make my posts like mini essays, but I don't requirte anyone to read them.  It's all up to you.

Edit:  There is a term for posting loads of stuff.  It's called 'flooding'.  Many sites restrict posters to a maximum No. of posts in a given timespan, to prevent it.  This is different from the length of posts.  Some people can be bothered to read my long and exceptionally interesting posts..  :rolleyes:  Some can't..  Their loss .. :laugh:

Col

• Like 3
On 12/22/2018 at 8:22 PM, nonnaB said:

Beekay

I wouldnt waste your time worrying about people laughing at your posts or understanding the follow up of posts. It is difficult sometimes when someones answer comes in late and youve forgotten what it was all about. The posts dont always follow what they should, we tend to drift and one comment in answer can easily start on a new drift, sometimes very difficult to understand. Sometimes the answer to a post is er.....what does that mean or thats not what I intended. Just go along with it and you'll perhaps understand eventually.. Or if like me theres a lot I dont understand so I just ignore it. You will find after a while that you like some topics and not others , it depends what your interests are. Manys the time I think " oh thats it I dont think I'll carry on or its getting a bit boring" and I dont post for a while I have a rest and then cant resist I go back. I enjoy seeing what everyone is doing in the city where I lived and other parts of the UK and beyond. 

Carry on posting Beekay you'll get there and it doesnt matter if you lose the plot it happens to us all.

Happy Christmas to you.

Broadly agree Nonna.  Only point I'd make is that to avoid answers getting 'out of sequence', it's always a good idea to quote the post, or maybe just the relevant part of it, that you are responding to.  It's easy to see something and then write a response, only to see that someone else has beaten you to it, so your post no longer makes sense.  So the trick is to quote what you're responding to.  Not that I always get it right either....

• Like 2

I think I still mostly have a subconscious resistance to quoting Col.  Mostly because management used to frown on the practice in the past when each post had a number.  Now no one seems to care.  BTW  where is management any more?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Broadly agree Nonna.  Only point I'd make is that to avoid answers getting 'out of sequence', it's always a good idea to quote the post, or maybe just the relevant part of it, that you are responding to.  It's easy to see something and then write a response, only to see that someone else has beaten you to it, so your post no longer makes sense.  So the trick is to quote what you're responding to.  Not that I always get it right either....

Weren’t we asked not to do too much “quoting” as it took up valuable space?

A simple option is to put @ before someones name as in @DJ360 

Doing this alerts the original poster of a reply ‘cos they get a notification.

You can also look cool & hip by telling people “don’t @ me”

@alan s. Thought I'd try your advice to see if it works. With my luck I'm probably contacting someone in the Himalayas. Still, it would be another contactunionflag

• Like 3
15 hours ago, AfferGorritt said:

I don’t think it’s fair, though, to say what people can post. Some folks like to post word games or song associations, and although it’s not something I join in, I don’t think it’s a big problem - I just glance at them in passing. Some folks like to post photos, some have a conversation with each other - not a problem for me.

Its not a problem for me to glance at word games etc in passing , they form part of the site. What I was objecting to were the posts following each other non stop. I dont object to people posting what they feel they want to post, thats what the site is for, but seeing the same avitar swipe after swipe is enough to put anyone off looking further. Maybe my expression and command of the english language is slowly being lost and no one understands it.

Micky mouse. (Ian) I will admit though that there have been some great photos but please limit yourself. I dont care if you post 10 - 12 a day as long as they dont follow on. But you will do as you please anyway so why I bother I dont know.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

"How some members can have the temerity to try to restrict posting, to me is arrogance beyond words."

TBI 

It was not my intention to restrict members from posting I object to seeing certain posts that seem to go on for ever just putting members off from looking further.  I have apologised for my command and expression of the english language and am sorry if its come across badly.

It certainly wasnt intended to be arrogance, I'm not that type of person.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BTW

To all our members , If youre still talking to me. Merry Christmas and a peaceful and happy new year especially a healthy one

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

@Beekay

Dunno if it’s worked mate. Should be highlighted, yours to me ain’t.

When you put the @ and start typing the name after it a list of relevant names should come up, diminishing as you type more relevant characters until the correct person appears.

Once you see the correct name tap (phone) or click (computer) on it & it will autofill.

Good luck!

Thanks  Nonna.  wishing you the same.  I will not stop talking to you.

In this season of good will I don't particularly want to stop talking to anybody.  We may not be on the same page on every topic, but that is not the real issue.  I was always taught 'moderation in everything.'  Don't go to a party and expect everybody to listen to or agree with you.  That is just rude and boorish.  Listen a bit you might learn summat.

Happy Christmas to Y'all.   

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1