How's your day?

How's my day? Exhausting - as have been the last few days and doubtless the next week or so will be.

I mentioned the other day that I have friends coming over from England for a short sojourn over Christmas and the New Year.

Well, they're here and proving to be very hard work. Not their fault, it's just that I didn't realise how tiring it would be to, firstly, speak English constantly but also translate everyone else's conversation into English and then translate any reply back into French. Normally I think and speak in one language or the other without a second thought but, having to do a translation of just about everything that's said is proving to be very hard work, especially as there are four of them. I expect nonnaB knows exactly what I mean.

Tomorrow will be particularly trying as I'm having friends from the village here for drinks and a déjeuner buffet. Only a few of them speak English to a level sufficient to hold a conversation.

Oh well, c'est la vie!

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, nonnaB said:

BTW

To all our members , If youre still talking to me. Merry Christmas and a peaceful and happy new year especially a healthy one

I still luv ya !  Nonna, Felice Navidad !! Whoops sorry, that's Spanish xx

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AfferGorritt said:

The written word lacks the nuances of the spoken word and can sometimes seem more abrupt

True, I just upset BK in just the same way

On another note I have been to town on my annual mad dash for presents. Outside the council house opposite the Flying Horse I fell off my feet in to the path of an approaching tram. Not sure whether it was my lightning fast reactions :Shock: or dumb luck that saved me but the tram passed my head with about 18 inch to spare before it had time to stop. No damage done apart from feeling very foolish and one very squashed Christmas present.

Merry Christmas everyone

Had a busy day. Started off with my Dyson dying on me (it had been making a whooping noise occasionally), put it away and lugged my upstairs hoover downstairs, will dismantle it later this week to see what is wrong with it. Went shopping this afternoon, Maralan, Sports Direct and Poundland. Christmas challenge spend £20 in Poundland on an assortment of things, silly tat and useful stuff. Got back home and realised hadn’t even thought about having a ciggie or using my vapey thing. Seems like I am finally a non-smoker. Don’t smoke, don’t drink alcohol, no-one had better try and take my chocolate away or there will be trouble! 

Happy Christmas to all, hope Santa gets you all you hoped for.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Hey Brew.  Thats too close for comfort.  Glad you're ok.

It's crazy out there this morning.  Thought I'd call at the local supermarket for a few eggs and odds an ends. I couldn't even park safely.  Packed parking lot.  Folks pulling in and out without looking.  I thought if this is what the parking lots like, imagine the inside of the store is like.  I will never do that again on Christmas Eve. Assuming I last 'til the next one.

Imagine the fun when the sozzled hit the streets.

• Like 2

Brew,  obviously Someone still needs you alive!  You must still be in shock!   What a terrible experience for you.  Pleased you are OK x

• Like 2

Thanks LL

'Tis true Margie someone needs me alive...… me! ;)

Not too sure what actually happened but in hindsight I was probably too close to the kerb edge and took a step too far.

Tram driver, cheerful chap, ('bloody 'ell I thought I had yer') and several kind souls offered help which is good but very embarrassing because I know they're thinking 'ah poor old sod, maybe care in the community is not such a good thing'...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Brew what a fright you must have had, but glad you were unscathed. Ive had a few of near misses in the car. When I come across someone driving towards me I see they are looking at me as much as to say "what are you doing "or "do you live around here."  Not paying attention where they are going.The locals are naturally nosy especially the older ones and when I come across them they are taking up half the road and the roads weren't really intended for cars. It can be frightening , there are ditches either side so too close and you collide or fall into the ditch. Oh the joys of living in the country.

Jonab I do know how difficult it is too have english speaking guests. It is tiring having to translate to many that havent heard the conversation and join in at the end. Its worse when family come up from Sicily. I understand most of whats being said but come to answer and I'm lost so I answer in Italian and that can be fun if they only speak dialect.

• Like 1

One of my sons been round tonight had lovely long talk about times past all the laughter and the tears,,......he's the one involved in Boxing,,was a PRO with over 100 fights to his name,, when he started during his Army years he became Midlands champion,, and against my wishes carried on Boxing into his early 40s,, becoming what they call a 'Journeyman'' ,, however he is also a Boxing promoter,,Trainer and sometime Referee,,in short he loves it and as always got something 'occuring'' (sp).

I used to be quite involved with Security in Boxing and loved travelling the length and breadth of the country rubbing shoulders with many famous Boxing people,,(not bragging just saying lol)..........anyway me being in recovery from my rough time and not working anymore,my boy wants me to start getting involved again.....as much or little as i like,, its given me a right boost......certain to have some tales to tell if we are all still here,, always like to find the 'funny' side of life,, and Boxing believe me has many funny sides.

• Like 5

Ben, I don't really like or approve of boxing but I know many people do, including yourself, of course.

You've mentioned on here that you don't like being inactive so, for this reason, it might be good for you to be more involved with the sport once again..... once you're fully recovered from your big op and the subsequent treatment!   Your lad sounds like he's a thoughtful and caring son - and you must be very proud of what he's achieved in his life.   

• Like 1

Thanks for that Margie.........iv'e always loved Boxing,,going back to the 50s and listening with my Dad to Don Cockell taking on the magnificent Rocky Marciano on the radio from America,, one of my uncles was a well known Boxer in Nottingham and good fighter Sonny Booth from Bulwell.

I can understand the anti-boxing people,,but if its managed properly it is a great sport.,,apart from my small involvement with pro' boxing i was involved in the local ametuer scene for a while..........in Radford with the Smith bros, and a couple of Ametuer clubs in Bulwell and Basford, in the 80s and 90s ,great days and nights at the Commodore Nuthal road,, when boxing people attended fights in a suit ,collar and tie,, and clapped politely at the end of each round,, we did this for nothing and it was a pleasure. However as time went on you got the hooligan element,,and i thought blow this,,may as well get paid with the pro scene.

Yes Margie very proud of my boy,,served in the Army for 12 years in nasty places,,and has helped many youngsters in their dream to become pro'boxers........

• Like 3

Well I have had a very busy day, wrapping the last presents, making trifles, stuffings, pigs in blankets, preparing sprouts and potatoes for mashing. Sorting all my homemade pickles etc. You would think we were having Christmas dinner at home tomorrow, but no we are dining out, the food is all in preparation for my little band of  hungry visitors on Boxing day. 52nd wedding anniversary annawl.

I thought I would have an early night, feeling quite tired after my long day, but what am I doing instead of nodding off......playing on my laptop, silver serfin'. 

You know what, I was sure I heard tinkling and neighing a few minutes ago (Is that what raindeers do?). I stood at the bedroom window for what seemed ages looking at the sky hopeing. Nope,  it turned out to be the next door neighbours ornamental cow bells tinkling away in the breeze. Hang on a minute. What was that just shot across the sky over the houses on the next street. Wow, Sure it was  Santa....Yep, I can  see the twinkle following the sleigh. Right, must go back to bed, pronto. I'll pretend to be asleep then he wont pass me by......Well you gotta dream a little, even at our age. Miducks.

Night night all, God Bless and Merry Christmas  and Happy New Year.slywinkxx

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Love it Carni...... It's great to dream.....

• Like 2

@Everybody.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Col

• Like 4