• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Great video. I'm only 80 and some people think I am doing well - those three super century beaters put it into perspective. Our Albert will be like them, with his excellent recall and sense of humour.

Funny how a lot of ancient people, when interviewed, admit to liking a spot of whiskey. Must work on that ;) 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

We’ve done a few hundred miles in the past week.  Went up to the Lake District for Christmas and stayed in a very nice Hotel & Spa, chose it because they are ‘dog friendly’ and our Jack’s usual dog-sitter is closed for Christmas and New Year.  Fell-walking, even ‘normal’ walking, was somewhat restricted because Roger has got such a bad back and sciatica at the moment but we had nice drives around the area and went to Patterdale to show Jack where his roots are! 

E8-A0-E08-F-6513-47-CD-9-EDF-85-BB3-A45-

Had a day at home to recover then yesterday we went down to Allianz Park in N London, the home of Saracens Rugby Club.  Our boys have a hospitality box there and we decided to make the day our family Christmas celebration because they were away skiing over the actual Christmas period.   Never thought about the bag check when we went into the ground, as we were laden with presents for them all.  It wasn’t a problem as it happened!   It was a grand afternoon, a good game of rugby which Saracens won, good to see our family and hear all about their ski trip.  The 5 year old is already quite competent on skis, her daddy followed her down the slopes filming her! 

2-E2-BA9-B0-4-D30-4-FCC-9-D51-7-BF95-B9-

A lovely sunset yesterday too, Wembley Stadium can be seen in the distance.

The club has a fantastic display of sporting memorabilia, not just rugby related but football and cricket items, including cricket bats used by WG Grace, Bradman, Botham. Football shirts from England ‘66 team, Olympic torches from every Olympic Games there’s been. Then there was the Saracens trophy cabinet, never realised how good they are!

The kids gave us a Christmas present we’re delighted with ....... 2 front row seats to see Tina The Musical at the Aldwych Theatre, London, plus a night in The Royal Horseguards Hotel.  They spoil us, but we deserve it!!

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Superb all round then Lizzie. Glad they're all looking after you.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about the cat, Ben, It's always heart breaking to lose a fmaily member, especially yat this time of year.

On a slightly different but related topic...I have often wondered why so many people die over Xmas week.  When I worked at Overdale Crematorium we could guarantee a "Full house" of 120 cremations during the holiday period.  without doubt it was the busiest time of the year.  So many of my family and friends have died during this period too.  My father was suffering from terminal cancer and to his credit would not let his grandchildren see him before Xmas because he didn't want to spoil their Xmas with memories of such a gaunt figure, so close to death. He died on 23rd December 1991.  Last week a dear old friend died at the age of 94. She and her family excaped the Nazis in 1939 and stayed in Scotland as refugees for the duration of the war before moving to the USA. Whatever the reason, it seems like the mid-winter holiday is the time to go.

It's New Year's Eve once again and those of you who know me will remember that it is time to get the tent pitched and ready myself for a night out in the cold. This year the temperature is several degrees above freezing and so for once, I shall have the pleasure of pitching the tent on soft ground instead of it being frozen solid.  Here's hoping the temperature stays above freezing tonight! 

• Like 4

My New Year's Eve camping is normally done in icy conditions. This year it was warmer (+4°C) but the wind picked up in the late evening and by midnight it was blowing a full gale with occasional showers thrown in. Anyway....I survived and none the worse for it :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

IMG-3057.jpg

Festivities over for another year and the last remaining GB houses until next year looking for new ideas.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
23 hours ago, Compo said:

My New Year's Eve camping is normally done in icy conditions. This year it was warmer (+4°C) but the wind picked up in the late evening and by midnight it was blowing a full gale with occasional showers thrown in. Anyway....I survived and none the worse for it :)

Not trying to be sarky, or clever etc.  Just curious.  Why do you do it, Compo?

30 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I saw Martine today, Fyngers wife. She is looking well and would like to come to the next meet up. She still logs on but not very often.

I'm still friends with her on FB and she posts quite frequently - often about cats.

58 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Glad you asked LL, I've always been curious but afraid to ask. He's a nice bloke but has lived in some strange places so maybe it's an obscure fertility ritual he picked up from the oomegooly tribe. Maybe doing penance for offending some deity or other and is cursed.

There is always of course the chance that he's simply crackers and completly barmy.

• Like 3

Perhaps it enables him to appreciate sleeping in a nice warm bed the other 364 days of the year!

I can appreciate my nice warm bed without the need to spend a night in a tent. However, for some obscure reason, I've not slept well for several nights and at 5am this morning was so desperate for sleep that I sprinkled the pillows liberally with clary sage oil. Never fails. Smells a bit like kipping under a privet hedge but sleep enfolded me at last! 

• Like 3

Maybe it's the inner boy scout in him that only materialises once a year and it takes the rest of the time to recover.

• Like 1

Been to doctors this morning, cold over Christmas has left me with a hacking cough and a bit wheezy. Expected 3 days antobiotics but got a 7 day course and not the amoxicillin (not sure of spelling) I thought I would get. Don’t usually get colds as a rule, perhaps something to do with stopping smoking and my chest clearing?  Then went into town with my sister, just wanted to change my phone contract to sim only, not bothered about upgrading phone, I only use it as a phone not for anything fancy. It was quite simple at the EE shop in town, at least they spoke normal English not tech talk. Then went into Primark just to have a look around, should have known better when sister got one of the big bags as we went in. Then I saw this coat reduced to £20, reversible either use as fur lined with a suede effect outer or as a teddy bear coat with suede inner. Put it back and went round shop but ended going back and trying one on which is now hanging up in my hall! It is my first treat out of my “not smoking” money. Then went to Broadmarsh to Wimpy (don’t like Burgerking the bread is a bit plasticy) and had a cheeseburger and chips with a pot of tea. All in all a good day (except for the antibiotics but they should make me feel a bit more human if that is possible), now sat on settee with dogs at my feet (who have just had their daily McVities digestives 3 each) a cup of Yorkshire decaf tea and a few coconut ring biscuits feeling quite contented. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Good question, LL! Have you never had the urge to get away from her that rules and enjoy a night without having to fight for the duvet or that couple of inches of bedspace that always seem to be the domain of the male partner.... but had no valid excuse? In the tent I can go for a pee without needing to engage in a wrestling match in order to win a few inches of space upon which to lie upon my return. New Year's Eve is the ideal time to enjoy a restful night and recharge the ageing batteries. Or maybe I'm just plain mad as a hatter?

:crazy:

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

my “not smoking” money.

When Julie gave up the fags some years ago she bought a new car with her "Cigarette money". She saw it as her reward for giving up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well done StavGirl, nice to treat yourself using money that would have gone up in smoke previously!  

I’ve not set foot in Broad Marsh Centre for YEARS, don’t suppose there are many shops still open in there.  

Cumbria Police have sent me a NY pressie ...... speeding ticket on Christmas Eve.  Ok, no excuses, I need to start driving like Miss Daisy, I’m so annoyed with myself.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Smells a bit like kipping under a privet hedge

A real privet hedge would be nicer, Jill.....all the creatures of the night to keep you company and no added expense of buying aromatics.

thumbsup

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Compo said:

all the creatures of the night to keep you company

I've already got three...Raffles, Tarquin and Bruno. The first two snore and last one cries if I don't stroke him!

• Like 1