• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

No copyright infringement there then. Good.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I have just spent an hour and a half (which I will never get back) filling in an application form for a casual invigilator at a school. Whilst I appreciate it is a job with young people this form is a complete nitemare. I must admit it is a long time since I have filled one in but this form doesn’t seem to fit with the job somehow, it seems like a “one fits all” form which means some of the questions are strange. For instance what qualifications do you have that will enable you to do this job, well the main job entails watching kids doing exams to make sure they don’t cheat, giving out and collecting exam papers, so what qualifications do I have - I can walk, my eyesight is okay so that must be a bonus and my hands can pick up things. Didn’t have a clue what to put, you had to fill it in or you couldn’t get onto the next page and by this time I was losing the will to live (I was on about page 5 or 6 I think) so I put my one and only GCE (yes I do mean GCE) Of English Language down. Then we got onto employment history with dates etc. Flipping heck half the time I can’t remember today’s date let alone dates from many years back. Give details of work experience and how they relate to this job. Right, nothing does really except walking etc. as above. Just put my last 2 jobs on form as to be quite honest by this time I could not care if I got the job or not. When I rang about the job originally they said they were desperate for people to do it, I can understand why now. Going to have a lie down in a darkened room with a cool cloth over my forehead. I wish I had a fag!

• Like 11

Just had a visit from the kids in the village asking about a problem they're having with their English lessons.

The problem arises with distinguishing between 'nowhere' and 'now here' and how to tell the difference when handwritten (without the space being apparent). I pointed out that the term now here is not used but I can see it causing confusion in learning English as a foreign language.

They countered with an example: 'the cat is now here' meaning the cat is present and 'the cat is nowhere' meaning the cat is not present or had gone.

Hmmmmm....

Got my ruthless head on me today in the garden. Two wooden patio chairs that I've repaired endless times have got the chop, and will be used to fuel the chiminea.  Terracotta pots that have cracked over various winters have been binned, and their contents repotted where possible. A couple of tatty bird feeders also binned and will be replaced, and I've finally agreed with Mrs Fly to replace the shed, possibly with a steel one. Thanks Arthur, the roofing felt you so kindly gave me has served its purpose for a good few years, but has finally succumbed to the dampness with being under trees. 

So, more expense to get replacements, and trips around Garden Centres on the horizon. Still, there's always a Full English or cappuccinos and carrot cake to consume depending upon the time of day.

Knackered now, and leg of lamb on !  :hungr:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Centaur said:

Hi LizzieM,,

Sunday before last I was also in Barbados, although it now feels as if it was last year. Always dread the red eye flight back which knocks me for six though.

Might have seen you in Paradise then Centaur!  Where were you staying? We were in a villa between Holetown and Speightstown.  I agree that the journey home is a real drag, don’t mind the flight as we go in the pointed end (although this time I only slept for about an hour I think as I was watching movies) but the drive up from Gatwick isn’t easy after an 8 hour overnight flight, particularly, as happened yesterday, there was an ‘incident’ on the M25.  

3 hours ago, jonab said:

Just had a visit from the kids in the village asking about a problem they're having with their English lessons.

The problem arises with distinguishing between 'nowhere' and 'now here' and how to tell the difference when handwritten (without the space being apparent). I pointed out that the term now here is not used but I can see it causing confusion in learning English as a foreign language.

They countered with an example: 'the cat is now here' meaning the cat is present and 'the cat is nowhere' meaning the cat is not present or had gone.

Hmmmmm....

The same thing happens here . The cat isn't here. ( il gatto non c'e) translated  the cat is not there. But not il gatto non e' qui. ( The cat is not here). Lots of words in italian like french seem to fit the phrase when in fact its not needed and in fact is quite out of place. But then when they're corrected they ask " why do you say it that way and not this way"  and why and why and why. Maybe you know the answer if you remember your grammar which I don't . So now I tell any prospective pupil I tell them "only conversation"  

Until recentley I had two 5 yrs old boys. It was fun and we did all the nursery rhymes and the questions were nearly always " why" , ." Why did he say  that" etc.  I was sorry to tell them I could no longer help them as my physio interrupted their lessons. Their favourite was the ginger bread man. It was a real tongue twister for them.....run, run, run.

I stay in a villa at Sunset Crest in Holetown so we must only have been  a couple of miles apart. It is a handy spot for the exorbitant local restaurants, the new excellent ice cream shop and the exorbitant Massy Supermarket.

Did you see that Cliff Richard has his villa up for sale, on the market for £28,000,000, or if that is a little too steep four of the six bedrooms can be rented for £4,000.00 a night. Bargain!!!

Presumably Cliff stops in the other two rooms and cooks your breakfast.

Lucky you Nonna!

Centaur, your accommodation sounds like it was in a more convenient location than where we were, which is called Sandalo. Quite a magnificent 5 bedroomed villa but with 10 of us wanting to get out to restaurants in the evening we needed a taxi mini-bus as nowhere was walking distance, especially with the reggae buses belting dangerously along that road!   Didn’t hear about Cliff’s place being on the market but was told he sang at some church function a couple of weeks ago.  Did you go into The Mews?  We were in there on Friday night and the England cricket team were there early on but they had to leave early as they were on a curfew ....... not surprising owing to the reputation a few players have.  

Sorry Albert, I inadvertently referred to you as Arthur in my thanks for the roofing felt in yesterday's post. Thanks again.

Hi LizzieM,

We did not get to The Mews this year, but stuck with the old favourites like The Tides, Spagos, Zaccios, Sea Cat, Scarlets and several others. I fully appreciate your comments about the speeding buses and the logistics of always needing commodious taxis and agree a five minute stroll is preferable.

I would imaging that The Lobster Pot Restaurant was not too far away from where you stayed. Despite it being a very well thought of restaurant it is reputed that this was the place where Michael Winner had the bad oyster that nearly killed him some years before he actually did die.

• Upvote 1

Treated myself to a pair of Kickers boots, had a pair a few years ago and they were really comfortable for walking my boys. Decided to wear them round the house to “bed them in”. Took me ages to get them on, tied them up and started doing my chores. Feel like Minnie Mouse in them (have you seen those u-tube videos of dogs with boots on - felt like I was walking like them). I am not sure but think I may have the only pair which are carnivorous they appear to be eating my toes and for good measure gnawing on my ankle bones, good job I have compeed plasters for blisters. Just taken them off (a battle in itself) and soaped them inside to try and soften them up. I remember now why I hate buying new shoes, think it might be crocs next time!

• Like 1

Heard on Radio Nottingham this morning, that three violent burglars were arrested in the early hours of this morning, after breaking into the Sam Hall at Sherwood. One police car was rammed, and another damaged by a thug with a sledgehammer. He was tazered.

Perhaps they only wanted to secure their seats for the next meet up !

• Like 3