How's your day?

It possibly would pick up the cats, but as soon as I start it up, they shoot off outside...

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I recall many years ago, on the 'Beeb' naturally, there was an interview with a lady who had worked 'in service', at palaces where Queen Victoria hung out.  She said that they 'cleaned' carpets by spreading used tea leaves on them them  then brushing them up.  I'd imagine the dampp tealeaves would pick up some dust, and tea apparently has some antiseptic powers, so maybe not such a bad idea..

I heard similar tales but spreading the leaves was more to ensure complete coverage and pick up dust than anything else. Many shops back in the 60s  used damp sawdust in a similar fashion.

• Like 1

Well.. as they say in these parts...  'Oooda thowt it?'.

I do recall school caretakers always being on hand with a bucket of sawdust if some poor kid threw up.  For some reason it was always in assembly....

On one spectacular occasion at HP, during Assembly,  I recall some lad 'hurling' his breakfast down the neck of the lad standing in front of him.

The crowd parted in disgust, the 'Vomitor' was dragged away and the 'Vomitee' stood, quivering slightly, as the offending lad's stomach contents ran down his neck, down the back of his jacket, etc.

It can't have been easy...and as far as I recall, none of the invocations in the school song offered... 'what to do if some pillock chucks up down your neck'.

Grammar schools weren't all they were cracked up to be...

• Upvote 1

Eww, now there's a mental picture not easily expunged -  especially when I'm eating my breakfast

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I well recall fainting one day at FFGS. It was a hot day, and I'd cycled up Berridge Rd quite rapidly as I was a bit late. I made it in time, but midway through the first hymn, my forehead began perspiring, my neck tightened, and my eyes went glazed. I remember just collapsing into the back of the person in front of me, and hitting the floor. The funny thing was, as I lay there, I plainly heard everyone else singing away merrily. I think a teacher got me up, and onto a chair at the back of the hall. Strange though, no one ever mentioned it to me.

• Like 1

Live slightly nearer Hucknall town centre than Bulwell...decided to try the Wetherspoons (Pilgrim) in Hucknall.

Even though over the years have played Football for Hucknall team,,worked in two shops namely Farrands and Vernons ,,done a bit of courting and drinking.........could never really take to the place,,so thought i'd try again today,,...............NO....still summat not right about the place......no friendly faces,,no ey-ups,, 60p to park,,very quiet no hustle and bustle like Bulwell,,even detected a different accent from some older folk.

Can't believe Hucknall and Bulwell practically join each other......but so different. The Pilgrim Pub was nicely set out....but first thing i noticed was the Barmaid,,,she used to work in the Bulwell Wethers,,and i never saw her smile.....she seemed to fit in in Hucknall..........

• Like 1

Fainting in morning assembly was something of a regular occurrence for me. Fortunately we were so close together that I never hurt myself but there was I'm told,  a bit of a domino effect.

• Like 1

I’ve never fainted but have witnessed several others collapsing, in school assembly, lining up for TB jabs at school and the same in doctors surgery for Smallpox jabs in the 1970s when there was a Smallpox epidemic in Europe.  I was only going to Amsterdam for the weekend but still had to have the jab.  The funniest fainting event I witnessed was during a hospital consultation with my Consultant.  He was explaining what was involved in my upcoming operation and the nurse in attendance went down like a sack of spuds onto the floor!   She was very embarrassed.  

• Like 10

Just got back from my physiotherapy.  I think it's helping me so will keep plodding on and doing the homework.

Twentieth anniversary of my first wife's death today.  I don't tell you that to be a downer or crave sympathy.  lots of folks face this at some point.  Mainly it makes me think of how quickly time goes.  You never forget it, but time has a way of removing the sting just a bit.  She was a fine woman, a good mother and a good wife.  Loved dogs too.

• Like 11

After physio we decided to splurge and go to the Blue Willow for lunch.  Nice trip and good food. Helps to refocus your day a bit.  Now too full to do me practice.  Cuppa tea and gerratit.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To Col and Willow.  I'll respond to your posts in What are you listening to now, later.  Rotten Ipad puts the thread up but then shuts it down again before I can read what you say.  Have to get my laptop out.

I'm not just ignoring you.  :)

• Like 2

Mine does the same Loppy. Very annoying.

• Like 1

I am annoyed. I AM ANNOYED!! 

I get repeat prescriptions online.  So, being due a new lot for March I prepared to make the request on the 4th. I usually request repeats in the first week of the month.  Since I'm going to be out of the country when I need to request April's, I called the surgery who told me to just put a note on to explain and request two months.  It takes them 48 hours to process a request so today I checked on line only to see in bright red...   'REQUEST REJECTED'.  No explanation, no advice, just 'rejected'.  By the time I'd seen this the surgery was closed.  So, by the time I take this up with them tomorrow, it will be too late even to process a request and get it filled for March.. never mind April, and I will run out of meds on Sunday.

Now I'm going to have to drive down there in the morning early and ask if there is a grown up I could speak to...

Bl99dy seething!!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

When I pickup my monthly prescription the girl at the pharmasy always asks me if I want them to order next months for me then when they are ready to be picked up I get a text message to that effect,no fuss

Rog

I order mine online and pick it up from Boots 2 days later. Simples! Since my partner is also on thyroxine, I order his the same way. I have a tin full of Levothyroxine tablets of varying dosages which we share between us. I've probably got more than Boots!

• Like 1

The missis is looking forward to fish in parsley sauce for tea. I took my eyes off the cat for five minutes.....Wonder how she will like the beans on toast?

• Like 1

On teh topic of repeat prescrip[tions; I am on a permanent repeat list for Allopurinol for my gouty leg. I asked the paharmacy if I could have an early prescription because, like Col, I was to be out of the country when it was needed. They said "No bother at all, come in a couple of days before you leave." I did so and of course, they had forgotten.

I think this incompetent behaviour is rife throughout life these days. I frequently visit cafes, coffee shops, tea rooms and Garden Centres, and especially on weekends when the amateurs are employed , the level of incompetence is frightening. 

The amount of times I have to ask for sugar, napkins, teaspoons is unbelievable.

Also, I just don't think they listen. The next time I get a cappuccino with chocolate on top, when I specifically asked for it without, I'll explode ! 

• Like 1

I drove down to the Doc's earlier.  I told the very nice recptionist that I was confused and very dissappointed with getting a bald 'Request Rejected'.  She explained that it is to do with the way that the system works and that 'customer's' don't see the same screen.  In fact my request for two months supply has been approved and sent to my local pharmacy. I didn't have to tell her that 'the system' needs fixing, she volunteered that.

Our online 'patient access' has recently been changed to ' systmonline' and we can now choose from various available times and doctors when we need an appointment.   Before we were accepted for this system, we had to fill in and sign an actual form to say that our medical information would be made available to any surgery or hospital in Britain if necessary (except sensitive information from sex clinics!!!  Not that that worries me as I've never attended one of them!)

We're starting to have trouble with repeats for wife's diabetic Abbott Freestyle sensor .

Until a few months ago she was pricking her fingers about 8 times a day to check blood sugars , then she was offered a trial of these new sensors on the NHS .

Each sensor is about the size of a 2p coin and sticks on the arm and lasts for 14 days .

You just waft a reader over the sensor and it gives a slightly delayed blood sugar reading as many times a day as you like .

Before the NHS approved them , they were available to buy but are about £40 for 2 (a month's supply).

We order repeats online on the Patients Access site but the chemists aren't geared up and the prescription is never ready on time . Maybe it's the manufacturer can't keep up with demand ?

Last week chemist had to borrow a sensor from another patient's prescription to keep my wife going .

More and more NHS regions are approving these sensors so the situation can only get worse . God knows what Brexit will do too .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A request has gone out from our local doctors (Please don't ask the doctor for any medication that you can buy from the chemists"

Had my annual checkup this morning, all ok and they've given me another year on this earth (don't quite know how that know that but it's got to be a bonus) no need to go back until next March

Rog

• Like 9