How's your day?

I'm missing my houseplant that I gave to our eldest already.  I've just messaged him to remind him to talk to it as it might be missing me!  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

8 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Can't wait to get my new metal one.

You got plenty of stuff there to put in your new metal shed Fly  thumbsup

Rog

@radfordred I'm not sure that it actually listens, but I reckon that plants respond in some way to care and 'love'.  I reckon there's a lot we don't understand about nature...    The plant certainly didn't talk back but it was very healthy, with thick glossy leaves and lots of new shoots.    Perhaps I'm talking rubbish .... Time will tell as I suspect our son won't treat it the same as I did!

• Like 2

You'll have to monitor it's progress Margie, could be an interesting project, if it starts to show signs of wilting or whatever take it home for a couple of weeks and see if there's any improvement (seriously)

Rog

• Like 1

Its true Margie, plants do respond to a bit of TLC.  I occasionally have a basil plant on the window sill. When we still lived in Nottingham my mother in law came to stay and every day she used to brush her hand over the plant and she told me that they stay healthy like that. MMMM I thought , so when she went home I did an experiment, I bought 2 plants , one I touched everyday and the other was just watered as the were the two of them. The touched one flourished and lasted ages the other one was a bit wishy washy and finally gave up. Since then I have always touched the basil plants and the perfume it gives off is fantastic. Advice from mothers in law does work.

• Like 3

Yes Rog, my new metal one will be two feet wider, but I'll still struggle to find room for everything. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

The touched one flourished and lasted ages the other one was a bit wishy washy

Jealousy Nonna, how cruel you were to that poor plant,have you no feelings  ;)

Rog

Just had my handyman round to look at my fitted wardrobe where I am still getting a bit of condensation/black mould, it is only on one small section of the wardrobe, but I don’t want to put clothes near it. I don’t like fitted wardrobes, think they are more trouble than they are worth really. The PIV unit I had put in has cured the problem in the rest of the house but it still persists here. He is going to install insulated plasterboard on the offending bit of the outside wall and also on the adjoining wall which, hopefully, should get rid of the problem. The price is very reasonable, he really is a godsend having sorted out the many problems I had when I first moved in. Next project, save up money from stopping smoking and put it towards a new kitchen, might take a while but better than it going up in smoke! I must admit when I went into town I did treat myself to some bling with some of the money I had saved, I do like sparkly things!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

The problem is the fitted wardrobe is not allowing enough air to circulate.

Insulated board may solve it but there is no guarantee, treat it with a good quality anti-mould paint

With all my other 'Ailments these last few months i'd forgot about my,,Essential Tremor''...........only thought about it again this morning,,whilst talking (in a fashion) to an old Lady friend,,she has the head shake,,and whilst talking i realised my hand was shaking my 'Espresso',,which she pointed out whilst shaking her head'' ........we both started laughing........humour can be excellent medicine.......lol

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Hold your hand on the top of her head, and hopefully, both of you will be still.

• Like 2

@radfordred  I never thought of plants committing suicide .....  I think if you you don't transplant them properly then they will go in 'shock' and take some time to recover (or even die off) , but committing suicide implies a consciousness and ability to make decisions which I don't reckon plants have.   I think they are more like a simple animal like a stick insect,  just responding to outside influences.

Who knows?   This is getting a bit deep for 'How's your day' isn't it!

I've had a busy morning with our Toddler Group, so I could do with a bit of care and attention, too... or perhaps I'll just have a nap!

Rog, I've just read a few reviews/overview of the book and it's not really the kind of stuff I'm interested in, but thank you for thinking of it for me

• Like 1

Getting used to looking after myself - Mrs PP in Tenerife sunning herself :tanning: 

Diligently feeding the cats - they are all over me, smarmy little boggers. Cooking OK with micro and ceramic hob. can't be trusted with naked flames. My pal showed me how to start the dish washer to wash what was left in it. Wash up as I use now, but only one of each, plate, mug, knife, fork, teaspoon, table spoon, dish, saucepan and three glasses in use. Makes me wonder why we need cupboards and drawers full of cutlery, utensils and crockery?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Very windy night, roof rattling non stop but it was still there this morning, went to Newark this morning needed a new fridge, being delivered next thursday,£20.00 to take the old one away, Newark market not very good today only about five stalls, was a bit windy there though,had a nice walk round

and called in for a coffee,then a steady walk back by the river to the retail park,stood outside Next for half an hour while Mrs P was having a nose round, came out with nothing, oh well such is life, back home now settling down for a bit and catch up with emails,

hope you all have a great day

Rog

I went to do a bit of shopping at Tesco in Ely this morning.   I had to go in on the bus as Paul was at a meeting and needed the car, which is fine as our buses run every hour.   As soon as I got into the supermarket, the lights went out for about half a minute, then came on again, so I continued walking round.  They went off again about half an hour later and then came on again (people seemed to think the high wind was somehow causing it).  The checkouts were still working at this point but the cafe was closed as all the machines had stopped working, so I couldn't have a hot chocolate.  I just sat down in the cafe for ten minutes as it was a bit early for my bus home then, as I left, some of the doors were closed and security staff  were stopping people coming in.  There were a lot of disgruntled people waiting outside!  

I'm  so pleased I got in before the power failure or I'd have had a wasted journey and a long wait outside for the bus home.  It's very cold and windy even now.

I expect lots of people would have driven over  to Sainsbury's, Aldi or Waitrose instead of waiting outside Tesco... but people who had arrived by bus would have had a longish walk with their walking sticks and shopping trolleys as it's well over half a mile to another supermarket.  They'd then probably miss  their bus home!

On 3/12/2019 at 2:44 PM, MargieH said:

Rog, I've just read a few reviews/overview of the book and it's not really the kind of stuff I'm interested in,

Margie,In one chapter of the book two plants were experimented with,they were in seperate pots, one plant was treated cruelly and the other plant responded, strange stuff going on in the plant world that we haven't got a clue about

Rog

• Upvote 1

This is where I don’t understand the self righteous attitudes of some vegans and vegetarians. Plants too are living organisms and they are ‘killed’ to be eaten. We are omnivores by evolution and I see no problem in eating meat. If people choose a wholly vegetarian diet I’m fine with that. My wife bought a Greggs vegan sausage roll for me and to be honest it was quite tasty; it just needed something to harden up the texture. Most veggie products that ‘pretend’ to be a meat equivalent I find unpalatable. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Phil, I think that it's only animals that are  considered 'sentient' (their words) that vegetarians object to eating, although fish are often included as well, aren't they... Is a fish sentient - capable of feeling or perception?    I wonder if a vegetarian would eat insects (which is what I heard we will all be eating soon to boost our protein intake!)

I presume that plants aren't considered sentient by vegetarians.... as I expect they mow their lawns, pick flowers, pull up weeds (screaming?) and prune their roses?   But as you say, each person has a right to their own opinion on these matters.  I suppose it's a sliding scale..

• Like 1

Each to their own I suppose. Our daughter is a veggie. She used to eat meat but stopped when we kept a few sheep. I love vegetables, especially salads. It's veggie foods that pretend to be meat that I don't like - apart from Quorn sausage rolls!

• Upvote 1