• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, AfferGorritt said:

Where's Ben? Can't see he's posted in a week or more. If you're reading, hope you're alright!

Cherchez la femme! Ben doesn't need to leave the UK to do that! ;)

• Like 1

A disturbed night, by having to get up for the toilet at 5 this morning, but it was beautiful to hear that Dawn Chorus Orchestra just warming up in the trees in the garden. Glorious blue skies today, and wallowing in caffeine on the patio. Superb. :tanning:

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lovely day yesterday down by the river at The Ferryboat at Stoke Bardolph for a family gathering . 17 of us in all . 

Nearly didn't make it on time as the A46 northbound was closed due to accident and had to exit off onto the Melton Mowbray road . 

Didn't expect to be going by Trent Bridge cricket ground on a busy Saturday morning but crossed the river over the old railway bridge and made it to Stoke B with 5 mins to spare .

Last time I went through Stoke Bardolph village must have been over 40 years ago and had forgotten how nice it was.

Been to the Ferryboat a few times in the last few years but always approached from the Burton Joyce end.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

I was stuck in that traffic,about ten cars behind the accident,sat there not moving for an hour before plod decided to let us all turn around and go back the way we came until that first bridge that leads to Allsops scrap yard, I took a left on the bridge and ended up going through Melton and Grantham to get on the A1 back towards Coddington,  three and a half hours to do a forty five minute trip, alright though somw lovely scenery around there, Please you enjoyed your day David and got to the venue on time

Rog

• Like 3

Being stuck in a queue drives me to distraction so much so I flatly refuse to drive anywhere Friday afternoon from about 2:30. I try my best to remember it may be some poor sod in a tangled wreck but it's difficult at times when it takes an hour deciding to divert traffic.

• Like 3

I was amazed at the amount of people who left their cars and walked to the front of the traffic just to have a look what was happening,morbid curiosity I suppose but on this occasion there were no injuries thankfully,

Rog

• Like 1

No idea what was involved in the accident but we had traffic reports on the car radio all the way from Northants and none of them mentioned anything about this shunt . 

It was a pickup truck towing a trailer, it was only a few vehicles in front of me,when I saw the trailer waving about from lane to lane everyone started to slow down,next thing it had gone over,as I wrote thankfully no one was hurt and everyone started to slow at the same time,credit to all drivers for seeing a problem developing

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Towing takes extra skill, I’m always very wary of people towing caravans.  I know there are one or two caravanners on here and I’m not generalising but I do think that when the summer months bring out the caravan holidaymakers the roads become more dangerous! 

• Like 3

Very true Lizzie, even a trucker I've been watching on Youtube say's towing a travel trailer with a truck or car is much more difficult than driving his semi with a 53ft 40 ton trailer!!

The hardest skill to learn is backing a trailer up, I learned if you put both hands on the bottom of the steering wheel, all you do is steer it where you want it to go, unlike steering from the top, where you have to think backwards, from the bottom makes it 100% easier.

I pull a trailer often behind my pickup, and I've towed a 28 foot travel trailer across the US. Going up the steep pass east of Salt Lake City was a pain in the butt, 2nd and third gear up the steep grades.

Electric brakes on a trailer help a lot too, as long as the driver has them adjusted correctly.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

I do think that when the summer months bring out the caravan holidaymakers the roads become more dangerous! 

True Lizzie I've towed a caravan many miles and the number of car drivers  that will break 

their neck to get round you is amazing, even if you are driving to the speed limit.  

I towed for years, and it's so easy with a stabiliser. 

With a 28 footer you have to have a "travel trailer load distribution hitch", they are just too heavy otherwise and the trucks steering would be extremely light without one. Even with one of those, you can feel drag when a large semi trailer overtakes you, it's a weird sensation until you get used to them. On travel trailers as big as ours, electric brakes are mandatory as the trailer is very heavy.

Scary going down those very steep windy grades over the Sierras , Wasatch and Rocky Mountains, I'm glad I had a five speed manual where I could let the engine hold me back. My latest truck does have "manual over ride" on the auto transmission, I can stop, set it in neutral and select manual and which gear I want it locked in, it's a six speed automatic transmission.

First time out today for a while,, met up in Wethers with couple of sons and Grandaughter,,who all made mothers day nice for the wife,,

Grandaughter was celebrating her new job as a holiday rep and flies off to Spain to start later this week, 

Also bumped into old friend whos had the same Op as me,,we will compare notes later this week, should be interesting,, just nice to be out and about again,,

• Like 16

Well done Ben. That's it, positive thinking and an optimistic outlook will win the day. Good on yer ! smile2

• Like 1