• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Lovely sunny morning after the storm yesterday. Full of aches and pains, just about to make some ginger tea, it may help relieve the pains.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, denshaw said:

It's a bit black over Bills mothers.

Aha.. the first shot............

• Like 1

Nice to see normal people having a reasonable discussion about such a touchy subject. Pity it doesnt extend to our mps in the London bubble.

Windy today again can hear it whistling round the chimney. Could be a pj/watch c**p on tv day I think. At least I don’t have to brave the weather to get the dreaded ciggies (I wish). Treated myself to an acer plant yesterday, liked the red foliage, might bring in it today as it is getting battered by the wind a bit. I can kill plants off quick enough without help from the weather.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, radfordred said:

If we had the vote today without doubt it would be now far bigger than 51.9% we all knew what we voted for that was out, we wasn't asking for any deals. 

Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong - I don't know. The most vociferous 'no rerun' are logically enough the leavers but if ,as you say, there is no doubt about the result, then why not just let it happen and enjoy the ' I told you' moment when you're proven right?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, letsavagoo said:

I've just looked at the forum rules. I was of the opinion that political discussion was outlawed here yet didn't see anything in the rules to confirm this. Not having a go at anyone. Just asking. People have strongly held views and conflict will without doubt ensue.

The referendum was ill thought out and the campaigns on both sides very poor. Clearly the result they got was not the one they expected or wanted and had no plans for a Brexit.

There lies the problem. Like it or not the public were told that out means out. No customs union etc. I can't recall being told of leaving with 'a deal'.  The recent viral video showing many of the leading remainers promising to honour the referendum result just shows the two faced hipocrassy of these shallow self serving elected individuals.

I don't believe a second referendum (why call it a people's vote) would solve anything and on the contrary would be disastrous. I doubt that a decisive result would ensue and we'd be back to square one and furthermore if we overturn the result of the 2016 vote where does that leave democracy. 

The whole event has been a shameful sham with the worst government in living memory, possibly ever. It's divided the country and made us a laughing stock abroad. 

There was a vote. In or out. Get over it and get on with it. 

A lot of people making good points here and no animosity or acrimony.  In other words, a 'grown up' discussion.  I've always thought we could do it. and we've proved it a couple of times elsewhere on here recently.

Part of the problem with 'Politics' is that there is no real definition in 'da rules' of the scope of what constitutes 'politics'.  Most people seem to think in terms of 'Party Politics', and I guess it's true that getting into 'Yaa Boo' left v right slanging matches with the left accusing everyone on the right of 'fascism', and the right describing everyone on the left as 'Commies', or 'Marxists',  is inaccurate and unhelpful.  That's what I objected to on the Nottingham Question Time. And if you want an example of the press stirring it..  the same day one of the papers.. Mail or Telegraph I think, described Corbyn's decision not to attend a banquet with Trump and Her Madge, as a 'Snub to the Queen'.  It was actually a snub to Trump = whereas in my view the worst insult to the Queen is inviting Trump on a state visit at all, when a simple 'non state' visit is more than he deserves, or is worth.

However, when it comes to defining 'politics'... Dictionary definitions often come up with something trite like 'The art, or science of government', but that only really describes the formalised institutions of politics.  In reality, politics is ever present, whether it's deciding who's going to be captain of the pub darts team, or choosing a government.  And it comes down in the end to any process of human interaction which determines 'who gets what'.

The whole Brexit debate is an odd one because it is as much about Constitutional change as it is about party politics. I personally feel we should be capable of discussing such things without coming to blows.

For what it's worth, I don't believe that the voting public were anything like informed enough before the Referendum. The Leave Campaign focussed on Immigration and 'Taking Back Control'. Already, because EU residents are getting wary of coming here to work, we are having to recruit people into areas such as NHS and Social Care, from Africa and the Far East, resulting in an increase  in the numbers of 'obvious' immigrants (the Black and Brown varieties). A real own goal for the likes of Farage and we haven't even left yet.  Most people were blissfully unaware that 'Just Leave', would mean walking away from the whole Tariff Free trade set up, would have next to no impact on our Laws because despite what the gutter press say we actually control our own laws and always have.

If we walk away without a deal, we will be left scratching around, very much from a 'back foot' position, trying to get deals with the likes of Trump and whichever gangster is currently runing China and Russia.  And we won't have the clout the EU gives us. We will be, to use the constitutional terminology.. screwed.

Still, we could always start building Spitfires again, or send in a Gunboat.

Finally, a second referendum is not 'anti democratic'.  Democracy is not a 'once and for all' thing.  The 'impasse' over Brexit, is in many ways similar to a 'Hung' Parliament.  With a Hung Parliament the solution is usually an election.  Bit of campaigning, bit of musical chairs and usually something is sorted out.  A second refrendum, especially one with more intelligent questions (IE not just 'Leave/Remain'), but questions which actually address the REAL issues which have to be solved, would clear the air.

• Like 4

Stavertongirl, My Acer plant/tree,now six years old and over seven feet tall it was about two feet tall when I put it in my garden, lovely tree.nice foliage

P1060659.jpg

Rog

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, denshaw said:

It's a bit black over Bills mothers.

So much so.. I can see it from here...  :laugh:

• Like 1

Plantfit/StavertonGirl.  Lots of Acers to choose from.   Mrs Col has a very nice one with pink, white and green variegated leaves.  Something like this.  Not a very strong grower though.

Specimen_1722_Acer_palmatum_Aizuma_nishi

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kind of.  It starts off mostly green and the other colours develop over time. But at about 20 years old it's only about 4 feet tall.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I find it strange that among my friends the reasons for a leave vote seems to be changing. It was mostly immigration and EU Laws. Now it seems to be a vague mish mash of reasons and it's all going to be alright in the end innit. Immigration is still mentioned but with far less conviction.

Hopefully, because people have finally understood that migration ( not Immigration) of EU citizens, to work here, is a reciprocal deal and there are large No.s of Brits doing the same all over the EU. Maybe some have also realised that there are no ethnically Black or Asian countries in the EU, so all those 'obvious' immigrants ( Or were they born here?) are nothing to do with the EU.

It is plainly obvious that many voted 'Leave' because they were conned into believing that all of their ills, from homelessness, to NHS issues, to unemployment etc.etc., were a result of EU membership.  Those people couldn't see the massive elephant in the room. Ten years of austerity, cuts, benefit changes etc., etc, etc., and a World Economic Collapse caused, not by Labour or the EU, or even the Tory party to be fair.. but by unregulated International Bankers, who haven't learned anything since the South Sea Bubble and the Wall Street Crash. And those Bankers didn't pay for their mistakes.  We did.

• Like 4

That is a beautiful tree Rog, I just love the ruby colour of the leaves. Afraid mine will have to stay about the size it is now about two & a half feet don’t have a big enough garden for anything bigger. They also had the one you have DJ, but the leaves were just green so I presumed they didn’t change, will have another look at them when I go back to supermarket. I have never bought plants for outside before, my last house had a paved back garden and my husband thought it was a waste of money buying them, the front was open plan which the Council owned and looked after (not that well) so this is a whole new experience for me. An exciting world of sheds and plants lies before me, my cup runner over. 

(Just a footnote I voted no in the referendum for us to join the common market as it was then called. We were told it would never become the “United States of Europe” but was just a free trading block, perhaps if we had known then what we know now we might not have joined in the first place?)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's naughty Red.  Those were not my words.  I just quoted them...  :P

And I haven't quoted any photos. I just link to them.  Uses no bandwidth whatever.

Gosh.. I'm such a  fine upstanding example...:rolleyes:

SG and DJ they are both beautiful trees my daughter has just sent for one online as she didn't like the ones in the garden centres and they were too big. She wanted one so she could watch it grow. Don't know if it was a Japanese Acer because thats what she kept showing me photos of.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Gosh.. I'm such a  fine upstanding example.

Of what Col?

Rog

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

A lot of people making good points here and no animosity or acrimony.  In other words, a 'grown up' discussion.  I've always thought we could do it. and we've proved it a couple of times elsewhere on here recently.

Part of the problem with 'Politics' is that there is no real definition in 'da rules' of the scope of what constitutes 'politics'.  Most people seem to think in terms of 'Party Politics', and I guess it's true that getting into 'Yaa Boo' left v right slanging matches with the left accusing everyone on the right of 'fascism', and the right describing everyone on the left as 'Commies', or 'Marxists',  is inaccurate and unhelpful.  That's what I objected to on the Nottingham Question Time. And if you want an example of the press stirring it..  the same day one of the papers.. Mail or Telegraph I think, described Corbyn's decision not to attend a banquet with Trump and Her Madge, as a 'Snub to the Queen'.  It was actual........................

Finally, a second referendum is not 'anti democratic'.  Democracy is not a 'once and for all' thing.  The 'impasse' over Brexit, is in many ways similar to a 'Hung' Parliament.  With a Hung Parliament the solution is usually an election.  Bit of campaigning, bit of musical chairs and usually something is sorted out.  A second refrendum, especially one with more intelligent questions (IE not just 'Leave/Remain'), but questions which actually address the REAL issues which have to be solved, would clear the air.

I agree with much of what you say here or at least understand and respect your opinion with exception to the final paragraph in that the referendum was a vote that could and should have been honoured. That is what was promised and failing to deliver on that promise is a scandal. It's a complete utter disgrace. I really don't know how they've got away with it so far.  It is a breach of our democracy. I will close on this and make no further comment. 

I'm in town and it's cold, windy and pouring down. 

• Like 1

I also have a Silver Birch near the back door,you can just see it on the left of this picture and also a Swedish Hornbeam growing in the back garden

P1060666.jpg

Swedish_Hornbeam_(2).jpg

The Hornbeam is the same age as the Birch but is much slower growing

Rog

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Of what Col?

Rog

That's for you to decide Rog..  :)

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

I agree with much of what you say here or at least understand and respect your opinion with exception to the final paragraph in that the referendum was a vote that could and should have been honoured. That is what was promised and failing to deliver on that promise is a scandal. It's a complete utter disgrace. I really don't know how they've got away with it so far.  It is a breach of our democracy. I will close on this and make no further comment. 

I'm in town and it's cold, windy and pouring down. 

We'll have to agree to differ Letsav.  But in my book, the far bigger betrayal of Democracy is a useless and vindictive minority Govt., clinging to power  by bribing a bunch of Irish bigots, then proceeding to repeatedly ignore calls from all sides to consider possible solutions to the mess they and their predecessors created.

We are only in this mess because Cameron was scared of the ERG and UKIP.  And UKIP only exists because of continual publicity from the BBC.  If Cameron had just told the far right of his party to 'Do one'. we wouldn't be in this mess.