How's your day?

But weren't they ALL private nursing homes in 1943, Phil.  There was no NHS when we were born!  

I was born at home - Hereford Road, Woodthorpe - but a doctor had to be called out ... I suppose my parents paid for him.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I heard that posh meant Port Out Starboard Home, for those going on a cruise.

Just to be pedantic, from the Oxford:

Origin

Early 20th century: perhaps from slang posh, denoting a dandy. There is no evidence to support the folk etymology that posh is formed from the initials of port out starboard home (referring to the more comfortable accommodation, out of the heat of the sun, on ships between England and India).

• Like 2

I hope I was a easy birth, probably delivered by local ladies at my Grandmas Carlton house, I am sorry Mam that I couldn't wait just a little bit longer before making my entrance to the world. Another 39days and I would have been one of the new NHS babies. Bad timing there Dad. :biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I was born in a crossfire hurricane
And I howled at my ma in the driving rain

But it's all right now, in fact it's a gas
But it's all right
I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a gas, gas, gas

It wort th'urricane up Bilbra in 1949... Yer must remember it...  :laugh:

• Like 1

1949 DJ, jeeze I'd bin at school 2 year ! When I were born I was led to believe they chucked baby away and kept the placenta !  :Shock:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, HSR said:

DJ360..I was born in hospital in '62 & recall having gas as I child at the dentist! smile2

I remember the smell of the face mask when they gave me gas and took my tonsils out. i also remember being sick when I came round, the blood was black... but the ice cream was nice..

• Like 1

Yes..the smell of that mask! was prewarned..thus I fought it..when woozy I went under..didn't lose my tonsils which explains no memory of any ice cream.

I was born at home on 30 November 1957. The midwife and my mother disagreed about the due date. Mum said 30 November and Nurse Heaton, who lived further up the road, said later. Nurse Heaton was away over the weekend of 30 November/01 December and my mother told her I would be here by the time the nurse returned. Nurse said that was rubbish! Nurse was wrong!

Late on the evening of Friday 29th, mum went into labour. Outside lurked the thick fog that always occurred on my birthday.  Dad rang for assistance and was told the duty midwife was in West BRIDGFORD and he'd have to go and fetch her!

Off went dad in the car, leaving my maternal grandad in charge of mum and my older sister. Duty midwife was a young, cheery girl whose approach was totally different from nurse Heaton. I arrived at 5am on the Saturday morning with not a wrinkle on me and a shock of dark hair. 

Mum needed stitches, so it was back on the phone for a doctor. Mum's wasn't available so the on call Dr Kelly turned up, kitted out in evening dress...he'd been to a party the night before!

After kneeling on the floor at the bedside to deal with mum's stitches, the good doctor's back had locked and he couldn't get up again! Kelly suffered with lumbago for many years but mum liked him so much that she transferred to his practice.  What a farce it must have been!

By 8am, I was tucked up cosy and warm in my moses basket and mum lay in bed, a roaring fire in the bedroom fireplace, scoffing choccies from a huge box dad bought for her!

Nurse Heaton pitched up on the Monday morning very annoyed at being proved wrong. She was a familiar figure, in her uniform, during my childhood and never failed to tell me I was born too soon!

• Like 2

I was born in a nursing home in 1942. Everyone attending thought my mum was unmarried as my dad had had an accident and he too was in hospital.Think everything went ok as I'm still here.

10 hours ago, MargieH said:

But weren't they ALL private nursing homes in 1943, Phil.  There was no NHS when we were born!  

I was born at home - Hereford Road, Woodthorpe - but a doctor had to be called out ... I suppose my parents paid for him.

Totally forgot about the NHS not being around in 1943 Margie!

8 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Totally forgot about the NHS not being around in 1943 Margie!

NHS in 1942. Don't know how my parents went on if they had to pay confinement costs. They were only young mum 20 , dad23 and they weren't well off by any means. 

6 hours ago, HSR said:

DJ360..I was born in hospital in '62 & recall having gas as I child at the dentist! smile2

Poor HSR,  being born in '62 and straight off to the dentist ! I were enjoying life on the buses then, not that that's got owt to do with things. B.

Last week we were " sunbathing" in 26 c temperature. This morning took my daughter to the wine festival where shes working and believe it or not there was ice and snow on my windscreen. Its very windy and more rain is forcast. The weather does this practically every year, beautiful weather the week before the festival and come the few days that we need to have beautiful weather it rains or its cold. Today we have both. I'm going up later if I can park locally, if not down into the square , park there and wait for the trenino or bus shuttle. Its only a 25 minute walk from us but its all uphill and I can't manage it I'm afraid.

• Upvote 2

Well, about 1/2 hour after I posted the sun was shining over the tops of the mountains and I thought "please stay like that". It did and turned out to be a lovely day. The wind dropped and the temperature rose a bit so it was pleasant to walk round. Went to my sons to have lunch and met up with my brother and sister in law. There weren't too many people around as it was just after lunch time but it was nice being able to walk round without pushing and shoving past everyone. Took a few photos and will post later. Where my daughter was is a part that I've not seen and I must say its a beautiful part, full of courtyards that overlook the valley. When you live in a place you don't take much notice of where you are or don't appreciate it. When there's something happening here at least I look at the village as a tourist would. There are many hidden nooks that are unbelievable. I heard all sorts of languages, English, Canadian, German , French, Australian etc. I met up with a few cousins that I've not seen for years from Sicily, Switzerland and Milan it was lovely to meet up with them again.

My SIL and I had our photo taken on the giant bench and asked those that were sitting there how long they'd been here. One asked me where I was from and when I said "here" she said no originally. My reply was no surprise to her she said my accent wasn't far from where she lived. The Wirral. Think there were also people from Nottingham, I know there have been in past years. Anyway it was a lovely day and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Great day today at the Cheese festival Melton Mowbray, cheese from all over the UK and Ireland,loads of free samples to try,very friendly atmosphere,everyone enjoying the day, bought some nice cheeses,Lincoln Plum bread,Melton Mowbray pork pies and some artisan breads, there was Morris dancing and a lovely Ukulele band playing.

And for the health concious,keep fit brigade and slimmers

P1070456.jpg

Look at what you're missing !!

Rog

• Like 1

Nice plantfit but today preferred what I had. See first photo

2 photos of sons restaurant,2 local churches one is consecrated  last 2 of the courtyard where my daughter was and one of her not wanting her photo taken (she Hates it)

https://postimg.cc/gallery/ermpxii0/

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

That’s a seafood salad to die for! Can’t see me getting anything like that from the farm shop - ever.

Only a starter and yes it was big and I enjoyed it but did order a main course of chicken and bacon hot salad but couldn't manage it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

226c017c-0cdb-4e3e-b06f-e1c11ffb154d.jpg IMG-3272.jpg 

Another beautiful view and me and my Sister in law

• Like 4

Well we had paid for ten days here at Lythum St Annes and my hacking corf had settled enough for us to risk coming, so here we are. We have bought the cycles but I am still very breathless, even just walking, so they stay covered and chained to the railings! We will take it a day at a time?

There has been a wonderful Brass Band playing in the park for the last two hours, they are playing lots from the musicals. We stood and watched for a while (all the benches were taken) and then moved on the sea front for a delicious icecream cornet. Strolling very slowly taking the view in and wondering where the sea had disappeared too, it must have been at least a mile out! 

Into Marks and Spencers to treat ourselves to a ready supper. ChillieCon Carni (ouch), followed by Apple Lattice Pie and Cream and Cadburys Fruit and Nut. Just got back to the Apartment and had a good strong cuppa, now for an hour working on the JigSaw.

I'm sat sittin' here and my cheeks and nose are all tingly. Chris has already nodded off in a rosy glow,  I tell you what.....That Wind Is Enough to Freeze your Frock Off! :huh:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, carni said:

(all the benches were taken)

Thats where a recumbent trike comes in handy Carni, always somewhere to sit  thumbsup

Rog

• Like 1