How's your day?

Not ,so good day/ night. Healthwise ok but midnight last night there was a very loud click and the electricity went off. It had been going on and off all day. I'm usually ready with some sort of light but I had nothing near me to light the way. Here we don't have any street lights and at night its pitch black. Managed to feel my way to the kitchen where we had torches etc and tried to reset the thingy( don't know whats its called) It wouldn't stay on and every time I switched it on there was a loud bang. Having woke my husband up we tried for 1/2 hr

. At the end we sent an sms to our electrician. Between photos of the controls and sms it couldn't be solved so now we are waiting for him to arrive.

This morning My son looked at it and pulled and pushed a few levers and buttons and all the lights came on. Before I go any further the electrician advised us to pull all the plug  out, which we did. Our oven, fridge and dish washer power points are all behind units so it was impossible to pull plugs out so we just switched off the main switch for them so everything and I mean everything was disconnected. My husband switched on the main appliance switch and there was a huge bang with rumbling noises. Just like an earthquake. We think its the oven that caused it, although nothing that time of night was switched on .

Electrician said that because the electricity kept going off yesterday and with trying so many times to get it back on the cable had heated up so when switched on thats what happened. Still waiting for electrician to come . To test oven in case its caput and also check to see if theres anything else that may go pop. Theres never any lack of excitement in this house. Hope the ovens ok as its only about 2 years old, I think must look out when we bought it but not surprisingly the guarantee will have expired. 

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Thankfully for all those on the land it is raining again with showers tomorrow and heavy rain forecast for Thursday.

Sitting on the patio with a coffee gazing at the ocean I was amazed to hear the frogs croaking. Where do they hide during the long hot summer that we have had? How do they survive 6 months without rain and days where the temperature reached 47 degrees C.

It was lovely to hear their little voices.

• Like 4

Oz, my understanding though I may be wrong, but they go underground in a state of hibernation, to be reactivated when the water reaches them. There is another species further North that hibernate and freeze solid !! Then come alive again when it warms up a bit, (saw that clip on TV. once). Beekay.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We do miss that area but doubt we’d move back there again, house prices are more than double! 

Our house we had in Surrey, 3 storey town house, cost us £17,500 in 1977. We thought that expensive at the time. That same house now is valued at £460,384. I guess we won'tbe going back!

Do you mean to say Katy that your not tempted with a paltry half million quid. We had chance of buying our first council house off Valley road, Sherwood. It was a whopping fifteen and a half grand. It's ridiculous to think now, that we could'nt possibly afford it. Where we live now in sheltered accommodation, in this area we couldnt afford a dog kennel. B.

• Upvote 1

Pouring with rain here! In my garage doing stuff towards the restoration of an early Sunbeam.

On the shelf I have a very early Watford speedometer (1910) that has some brass gears missing. I would very much like to use this Speedo and am looking for somebody like a clockmaker who might be able to cut some gears for me anyone on this forum know of a retired person or enthusiast who could do this kind of work. I  have tried local clockmakers and indeed one or two nationally but I think that the work is not sufficiently interesting to them.

Good luck with that one Siddha. Hope you can get your motor fixed. Don't forget to put a picture of it on here. B.

16 minutes ago, siddha said:

Pouring with rain here! In my garage doing stuff towards the restoration of an early Sunbeam.

On the shelf I have a very early Watford speedometer (1910) that has some brass gears missing. I would very much like to use this Speedo and am looking for somebody like a clockmaker who might be able to cut some gears for me anyone on this forum know of a retired person or enthusiast who could do this kind of work. I  have tried local clockmakers and indeed one or two nationally but I think that the work is not sufficiently interesting to them.

The British Horological Association at Upton, Notts might be able to put you in touch with someone.

Expensive day - our 2 cats have just been to the vet for their annual vaccinations and check ups.  Also bought some more Frontline and a worming tablet each.    £172.00 !!!

.....and they (the cats) aren't even grateful.  One scratched me as I was trying to get him from behind the sofa to put him in the carrier, and both wailed all the way there and back.  When we got home they both glared at us and then shot out into he rain (which they usually hate). I think they must just see it as cat abuse!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

They're grateful to you though when it's a sleeting winters night, and they're snug and warm, and curled on on a nice thick rug ! 

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I would very much like to use this Speedo and am looking for somebody like a clockmaker who might be able to cut some gears for me anyone on this forum know of a retired person or enthusiast who could do this kind of work.

Have you tried looking for model makers?

Thanks for tips yes philmayfield have been on to BHA and Brew I have been on to model makers.

Got a possibility in Derby!

Will post a couple of pics once I have mastered the uploading to a site

Beekay as requested period  pic of two toffs in a Sunbeam 16-20 round about 1914.

Not quite sure if I will attempt this kind of body work as I don't enjoy doing that as much as I like the mechanical fettling.

2v9agzp.jpg

And this as far as I have got with rebuilding one of these;2v9afqc.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Do you mean to tell me that's not you in seat?? On the second picture, all you need is a couple of pedals and hey presto ! your away

Another point , if you took away one of the rear wheels I'm sure Plantfit could use it as a trike.   :bravo:

Good luck with your project mate ! Beekay.

Had a most enjoyable evening at the Royal Concert Hall watching a fabulous show called the Strictly the Professionals.

Ten professionals from the series, doing various themed sets, routines, and also some of their own personal favourites.

A fantastic night of talent, glitz, glamour, superb dancing, great music and singing too.

A most uplifting experience by some of the best dancers in the world, hailing from Russia, Siberia, Australia, South Africa, Italy, Venezuela, Spain and of course the UK. 

A night of sophistication topped off by chips and curry sauce in a tray !  :hungr:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A good night topped with chips and curry sauce, now that is real sophistication ! You really know how to live life in the fast lane Fly.

I stand in awe and admiration bruv. ;)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, siddha said:

And this as far as I have got with rebuilding one of these;

Looking good so far but wow still a long way to go. Why the wood blocks on the spring U bolts?

I realise it's nowt to do with owt on here but Siddha's restoration reminded me to ask, Does anybody have any experience of Beamish museum? Want to check out if it's worth the 680 mile round trip. Always wanted to go, but should've done it when we lived in Nottingham, (but couldnt afford a car then). All sensible replies will be greatly appreciated. Beekay...

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Want to check out if it's worth the 680 mile round trip

Combine it wi' a NS meet up!  .... simples!

• Upvote 2

Spent a couple of interesting hours today with friends at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool looking at the exhibition covering Charles Rennie Mackintosh and those who were his influences and contemporaries.

gifa_poster.jpg

Fab stuff.

• Upvote 1

Beekay,   Beamish is a great day out, a 680 mile round trip I don't know about . If you travel that far there is so many Castles , fantastic country side , beautiful beaches , historic Cities and towns but most of all great people. Well worth a week or two visit , can you tell its one of my favourite areas.

• Like 1

You're going to need more than one day to see it all BK, I went a few years ago on a coach trip from Nottingham,was there best part of a day and only saw about a quarter of it,suggest you have a holiday in the area and take in the museum when you're there,as Trogg says so many things to see and do in the area

Rog

• Like 1

BK as Plantfit says it needs more than a day to take it in, the last time I went you purchased the ticket but it allowed you to revisit free that year, so if you are staying in the area you could return , whilst you are still there to continue your visit.

• Like 1