How's your day?

38 minutes ago, plantfit said:

You get those dark spots on the bricks by adding "Breeze" to the mix during the manufacturing process,"Breeze" is a type of crushed coke that burns and glazes over in the kilns leaving that distinctive pattern

Rog

The London Brick Company.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Seen those bricks in lots of areas in P/boro and Leytonstone area down in the Smoke.

Sorry I thought you meant the ones with Breeze in them BK,yes you are right they look like a London brick company/Phorpres/ small producer, could even be hand made as opposed to pressed or extruded

Rog

• Upvote 1

Played football, cricket and tennis at Phorpres Rog,,when I moved to Peterborough in mid 70s,,they had a great social club with large areas of ground for sport,,  think all built on now,,

• Like 1

Probably so Ben, most of the clay pits were used for household waste/ landfill and either built over or landscaped,good community spirit within the brick companies though everyone worked hard for their money,lot of Italians worked in them

Rog

Yes i knew a few italians there,,some good footballers among them,, my daft memory there was eating a tin of Rhuarb then playing mixed doubles. Tennis,,,only managed first set,, :@ 

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this... ( Suggestions on a post card not required..)

My Brother sent me this picture, which I assume is either at the former rail crossing by the Gala Bingo at the end of Southglade Rd. .. or at one of the other points where Hucknall Rd passes 'cuts' through the former Leen Valley line.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipODaKQ6_xkAEILLSnrWrxdgX4DUYHZ6l5rirhSk

Now I'm no expert, but even I know that the line closed in the 50s or 60s. But more importantly, this information, down to the exact day, if not the hour, will be known to any number of rail enthusiasts.  Very poor reasearch ( if any) by whoever wasted money on these signs.

There was also Tattershall Castle Ian, I think it spent a lot of it's time on the Thames

Rog

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Col, I can't open the link on your last post..... 

Neither can I. Sorry.

Nowt here either.

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

There was also Tattershall Castle Ian, I think it spent a lot of it's time on the Thames

Rog

Pretty sure that one does pleasure trips out of Chatham dockyard, Rog. Might have been another "castle". Thats where the bricks on car picture came from. It was a 1940s weekend salute. Absolutely brilliant.

• Like 1

Off to McArthur Glen at M1 junction 28 soon, to get some new jeans if possible, as I've obviously had too much cake or pork pie recently.

Then maybe pop up to junction 29 to have some cake at Glapwell Garden Centre Tea Rooms ! 

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, Beekay said:

pleasure trips out of Chatham dockyard

Just looked it up BK,The Tattershall Castle is now a floating pub on the River Thames Victoria Embankment

Rog

3 hours ago, Beekay said:

Neither can I. Sorry.

3 hours ago, MargieH said:

Col, I can't open the link on your last post..... 

Ok folks.  I'll try again.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOi_4-7G_XtaxbhMU692GVz4whfrfOaSFERQhoq

How's that?

I've spoken to my brother and the sign is at the site of the old crossing between the end of Southglade Rd. and Hucknall Rd.

Not working for me Col,just keep getting the 404 error not found thingy

Rog

Does the link go blue if you hover over it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KdkMToFry1jZuipN9

Any better?

Anyway, the point is that someone has erected a sign at the former railway crossing near Gala Bingo/Southglade Road. One blue sign points to Southglade Sports Centre, the other to Hucknall.  That's fair enough.  Then below are two brown signs. One says 'The Railway line was dismantled sometime between 1940 and 1960.' , which is rubbish. At least a part of the line was still connecting Rigleys Engineering works to the BR network via Moorbridge until 1966. The other says 'The line ran for 6 miles from Daybrook to Newstead.  Which is also rubbish.

The thing is Nottingham is home to one of the biggest sellers of books on railway history (Book Law Publications.. in Carlton I think.), who could quite possibly provide the correct info 'off the top of their heads'  Additionally, numerous enthusiasts, quite possibly including our own Fly could well recite the details to the exact day, if not the hour.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

And another thing!!  I know that the track wasn't fully removed until sometime around 1968/9, because I tripped over a rail or an old rail 'shoe' one night when rushing over the crossing to get down to the 360 Club for a DJ in session.

3 hours ago, plantfit said:

Just looked it up BK,The Tattershall Castle is now a floating pub on the River Thames Victoria Embankment

Rog

Gotta admire your perseverance Rog. B.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

someone has erected a sign at the former railway crossing near Gala Bingo/Southglade Road. One blue sign points to Southglade Sports Centre, the other to Hucknall.  That's fair enough.  Then below are two brown signs. One says 'The Railway line was dismantled sometime between 1940 and 1960.' , which is rubbish. At least a part of the line was still connecting Rigleys Engineering works to the BR network via Moorbridge until 1966. The other says 'The line ran for 6 miles from Daybrook to Newstead.  Which is also rubbish.

We're always warned about not believing everything you read in the internet, I didn't expect it to include road signs. I'll never approach a junction with confidence again.

I assume you need council permission to put up such signs. I wonder how it was approved, and if anyone at the council checked it factually. On that basis, you could apply to put a sign deliberately pointing people in the wrong direction.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Gotta admire your perseverance

Took notice of the information when I saw it BK because I worked at Tattershall quarry,so just persued the link

Rog