• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Made in the Czech republic Zetors I think,every thing loose on them things,steering,gears,axles and the gap between piston and liner

Zetor 3011

plough_match_007.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Seeing the old tractor pictures from Rog reminds me that I usually exhibit my 1952 Grey Fergie as an attraction in our hay meadow at the biennial 'open gardens' coming up soon. It's been outside under its tailored cover for two years and I know it requires a battery and a new mechanical starter switch. It's always good to see the 'old boys' climb aboard, with some difficulty, and reminisce about the old days. Being low technology, but mechanically quite brilliantly designed by Harry Ferguson, I guarantee it will start first time. The starter is selected by a particular movement of the gearstick so it's impossible to start it in gear. I feel a project coming on! If you want to see old tractors go to Hoveringham tomorrow.

• Like 2

Spot on Mick,two year ago,some sort of rally around the town.don't know what it was in aid of but great to see a load of old tractors

One for Phil, Grey Fergie with a cab

Grey_Fergie_(1).jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Here's one for you Ian, last year at the charity tractor run in aid of the Lancaster memorial on the Notts/Lincs border

P1060977.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

The grey Fergie with the cab was one of many of the Harry Ferguson adoptions. There were innumerable tools and extras for every conceivable task. The tractor in the the picture is TEF model being a diesel. The TED model I have is a petrol/paraffin model where the engine was started on petrol and then switched over to the much cheaper paraffin for the day’s work which used a full tank. The engine had a very low compression ratio and was the same basic unit as used in the Standard Vanguard car. Not sure why the diesel was TEF and the petrol was TED but will have the info somewhere.

• Like 1

Don't know much about tractors, but I have an abiding memory of Jarve Goddard using one when he was still actively managing the two fields opposite Southglade Road. That would probably be around 1952-4. What sticks in my mind is being fascinated by what I suppose was some sort of 'sight glass' attached to the side of the engine. Right side as seen from the driving seat I think.  In my memory it seemed to be filled with a greenish coloured liquid.  Oil?

I thought agricultural diesel was red?  Maybe somebody here knows.

Den, I thought the ice cream vans ran on paraffin whilst doing business. On Mr Softee's, they were started on petrol, then after about five minutes, we'd switch over to the other fuel, which I'm certain was paraffin. Then at night, before shutting down, I'd switch back to petrol for five minutes in order to fill the system, else it wouldn't start next morning.

I might be mistaken, as it was over 50 years ago !

• Like 1

Col, I drive / walk this stretch of Hucknall Rd, very regularly, but don't recall seeing the brown signs. I'll make a point of looking out for it over the next few days. 

I also walk from the Marble Arch opening, to Tesco's and further on to Bestwood Village. Where the track bed veers to the right parallel to Moorbridge Rd, there is still some track in situ. 

Between Gala Way and Tesco's, there's some brick footings in place near the former station, and up until recently, there was the remnants of the signal box base.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Anyway, the point is that someone has erected a sign at the former railway crossing near Gala Bingo/Southglade Road. One blue sign points to Southglade Sports Centre, the other to Hucknall.  That's fair enough.  Then below are two brown signs. One says 'The Railway line was dismantled sometime between 1940 and 1960.' , which is rubbish. At least a part of the line was still connecting Rigleys Engineering works to the BR network via Moorbridge until 1966. The other says 'The line ran for 6 miles from Daybrook to Newstead.  Which is also rubbish.

you mean further down the road almost near the junction with bestwood road 

Hucknall-Road.jpg

• Like 2

Fly, an uncle of mine worked for Mr Whippy. Their yard was on Lilac grove in Beeston. I used to work for him sometimes. I'm sure they used TVO, it was possibly a Bedford van.

• Like 1

Ah yes, I passed there twice today, but couldn't see the brown ones. I'll look during the week. As Col says, the information is incorrect, and more should be done to further the importance of the railway in the surrounding area.

The streets near the little industrial park near Rigley Dr are named after important railway centres, and on Arnold Rd, near the BT depot, the newish housing estate streets are named after several Britannia steam loco's. 

• Like 2

You might be right Den. My grey matter has dramatically decreased over the years.

22 minutes ago, Enigma. said:

you mean further down the road almost near the junction with bestwood road 

Hucknall-Road.jpg

No Enigma, I mean where I said, but I don't doubt that other inaccurate signs exist..  :)

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

The streets near the little industrial park near Rigley Dr are named after important railway centres, and on Arnold Rd, near the BT depot, the newish housing estate streets are named after several Britannia steam loco's. 

I live on one of those streets (or Closes as they are)

Been here 30 years since Cavco built them and never knew the railway connection apart from Rigleys

Names are Rigley Dr, Rugby Cl, March Cl, Darnal Cl (should have 2 L's), Kingsmoor Cl.

The other houses nearer Tesco were built later by others so don't follow the railway theme.

I drive past the Said sign several times a day but have never read what was on the Brown ones.

I'll nip out in the morning and look.

I lived in Arnold when younger and used to trainspot around here, I'm sure the level crossing was still there, but not in use, in the early 60's near where the sign now is at the end of Southglade Rd.

And on a topic covered here somewhere, I lived next door to the parents of Cavan , Gordon and the other 11 Pickering children in Arnold, for 17 years up untill I got married.

The 13 had  diverse occupations from a Barber to an Airline pilot.

Jack the Father, worked at Raleigh and also owned a lot of houses in Arnold.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Stuart.C said:

I drive past the Said sign several times a day but have never read what was on the Brown ones.

I'll nip out in the morning and look.

I lived in Arnold when younger and used to trainspot around here, I'm sure the level crossing was still there, but not in use, in the early 60's near where the sign now is at the end of Southglade Rd.

Just on a technicality, it was never really a 'level crossing', in the Highway Code sense or at least not a public one.  We crossed there all the time, and rail traffic was very infrequent after the mid 60's, if any at all.
.  It was a locked gate used by Jarve Goddard from Southglade Farm, whilst the line was still in use.  If I recall correctly, it became a bit more 'casual' later, before finally closing to traffic. I should add that I lived on Southglade Road from the early 1950s until around 1970.

Went to the wedding of a farmer's daughter at the weekend, it goes without saying that 'We Plough The Fields and Scatter' was on the hymn sheet, however, the German bloke 'wot wrote the words' wouldn't have been looking out of his window at this!!!!!

Tractor.jpg

That's what you call a tractor, for sale at the moment, one careful owner, £250k if anybody's interested!!

• Like 1

I've seen these and similar, it's amazing what 'poor' farmers can afford...  :happy:

• Like 1

Most of this sort of kit is usually leased. The farmers I’ve known have all been mean, tight fisted bastards. Odd people farmers. I spent a day on a tractor once going up and down a field. The work is absolutely mind numbing. No wonder it’s a job with a high suicide rate.

• Like 2

Case 385 making dust in the field behind my back garden, contractors come in and blitz the fields with the big ploughs and seed drills,next week we'll get the Nitram spreader

Making_dust_(1).jpg

Rog