How's your day?

You can always sell Mayfield Towers and buy a nice little flat somewhere on the 'green' or Forest Fields - always plenty to see down there I'm told..   ;)

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

On 2/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, benjamin1945 said:

,,noticed a couple of changes on Main street,,,Catfans charity cafe is now a Barbers,, £9 a shot didnt say owt about pensioners price so assume £9 the same,,,i will be sticking to the lovely lasses in ''Geezers'' at £5.20.

Cheated on the lovely lasses today,,,,needed a hair cut quite badly,,,,and the above new Barbers were open,,,thought i'd give it a try,,,,first customer of the day as he opened at 10am,,,must say he did great job,,using Razor to finish off (most British Barbers don't put the fine finishing touches to make it look sharp)..........Asked where he was from,, turned out he was a Kurd........very nice chap,,surprised him with my bit of knowledge about 'Kurdistan' ref' war in Syria and Iraq,,,which i knew about from one of my sons...........he did do a Pensioners price £7........so sorry 'Geezers' think i'll be going to the Kurdish man from now on,,,or perhaps a bit of both,,,......Also noticed which surprised me he had a few waiting after me,,although it being a bank holiday,,,,

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Brew said:

You can always sell Mayfield Towers and buy a nice little flat somewhere on the 'green' or Forest Fields - always plenty to see down there I'm told..   ;)

Having worked in Basford for 25 years and having been born in Carrington I would feel at home in the area. However as I sit here looking at trees and green fields perhaps I shouldn’t be too hasty!

• Like 3

Well I’ve just had a treat. Just returned from Waitrose in Newark. It’s the only chance I get to wear a suit and tie these days. Just to see the elegant people with their servants pushing their trolleys is a delight. Not a single fat backside or tattoo to be seen. Oh how the other half live!:biggrin:

I'm pleased there's a Waitrose close by,  It keeps the Riff Raff out of the Asda

Rog

• Like 2

I know where you mean mate, nice walk alongside the river near there either upstream or downstream but never venture down Tolney lane,there is a limit to my stupidity

Rog

• Like 1
22 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Den, I thought the ice cream vans ran on paraffin whilst doing business. On Mr Softee's, they were started on petrol, then after about five minutes, we'd switch over to the other fuel, which I'm certain was paraffin. Then at night, before shutting down, I'd switch back to petrol for five minutes in order to fill the system, else it wouldn't start next morning.

I might be mistaken, as it was over 50 years ago !

Fly, Mr. Softee donkey engines were low compression Ford engines which were started on petrol then switched to TVO and closed on petrol. Mr. Whippy donkey engines were single or twin cylinder American Onan engines running again on TVO. Tonibell ice cream vehicles ran on LPG.and had an electric clutch on the main engine front pulley which powered a shaft to drive the ice cream machine.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for clearing that up Dave. I knew you were the man who would know !

Better day than I've had for about seven weeks.  Even a few hours of partial relief from this b****y itch was bliss. 

Then got around to planting up some new stuff in the borders.  They got very neglected last year while I dug up half the garden for drainage work.  Earlier in the year  I lifted and divided a few elderly perennials such as Red Valerian, a Purple Scabious, a Helenium, Monarda (Bergamot) etc.  Another border had to be used as a temporary dumping ground for spoil from the drainage trench, so only the bigger tougher plants survived, mainly a red Penstemon a  few Lobelia Cardinalis and some of those Chinese Bells in both the blue and white varieties.

Anyway, I've now put in Sweet Peas, Delphiniums, perennial Border Carnations, little border Dahlias, Sidalcias and a few Nicotianas and even a few bedding Lobelias.  The later aren't my favourites as they remind me of the 70s when people used to plant out borders with red Salvia, White Alyssum and Blue Lobelia in the shape of a Union Flag...  A bit naff..   But they have their uses. ( And before anybody asks.. yes, I do respect the Union Flag along with the separate national flags of the UK countries.)

Next up, I've got a few plants in shades of oranges, golds, brownish yellow etc.  Dahlias, Gazanias, Erigerons etc., plus another Penstemon or so, to put in another spot.

And I've planted up a Thunbergia ( Black Eyed Susan) trailing thing in a big pot with a sort of steel frame for it to climb up, and base planted with some little violas and more lobelias. In a good year those Thunbergias can give a summer long display

I've a lot more to do just to make the garden remotely tidy, but I'm getting there.

• Upvote 1

Col. you did well doing all that gardening!  Wish you lived nearer to us - I'd employ you to do ours!

• Like 1

Well done Col. I've just spent a fortnight laying slabs, hedge cutting, jet blasting, fence replacement, and a multitude of other strenuous, tiring and backbreaking jobs, but having just looked out of the bedroom window, I can clearly see that my efforts have been worthwhile.

Glad to see that you mention respecting the Union flag. I was getting a bit worried till I saw that. Well done !

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Monarda (Bergamot) etc. 

Isn't this used medicinally Col? It's supposed to be good for Psoriasis and skin conditions among other things.

• Like 1

Fancied porridge for breakfast this morning. Empty a packet in the bowl. 180ml milk and cook for 1:30 mins, leave 1 min stir and cook again for 1min, Why bugger about? just nuke it for 2:30mins...

This morning I shall  mostly be cleaning the microwave...

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

I once tried microwaving old fashioned oats, instead of the saucepan method. Mount Vesuvius had nothing on the results. Cleaned up the mess and went back to the saucepan. But decided to make 4 servings at once and split into tupperwares, for a quick micro breakfast. (And only 1 dirty saucepan)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Brew said:

Isn't this used medicinally Col? It's supposed to be good for Psoriasis and skin conditions among other things.

Didn't know that Brew.  Isn't Oil of Bergamot what they use to flavour Earl Grey Tea?  Anyway if my skin doesn't clear up soon I could try rolling about in the borders for a bit....  :)

• Like 3

Just a thought DJ,   but no doubt you've investigated the possibility of something in your garden that you may allergic to. Not knowing your history of problems, just saying, is all. One hears of cases similar, ie, nettle rash etc., among others. B..

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, katyjay said:

I once tried microwaving old fashioned oats, instead of the saucepan method. Mount Vesuvius had nothing on the results. Cleaned up the mess and went back to the saucepan. But decided to make 4 servings at once and split into tupperwares, for a quick micro breakfast. (And only 1 dirty saucepan)

NOW you tell me!....