How's your day?

Bergamot does flavourĀ Earl Grey tea. Didnt know it was good for psoriasis .

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Oats so simple are just that simple and no mess.. I had a load sent from British Corner Shop, opened one up one morning and it looked strange. Checked bb date and they were well outdated. Got refund. Ive brought them back from UK before but never had them exploding in microwave. I just left them 2:30 mins. Stirred and ate it.

Went down the farm for an hour this morning to check on the pigeon situation slywink, got home and strimmered that piece of land the other side of my back garden fence,got lunch ready for Mrs P, Ploughmans with some mature Chedder,took off to Hombase in Newark for a tin of white silk emulsion paint, the kitchen ceiling is now finished and I am about to start painting the walls after I have had my coffee,for dinner I will do Mrs P a jacket spud with cheese and salad,beetroot andĀ  italian dressing,I will have a Ginsters Cornish pasty with some oven chips and bisto gravy, tomorrow is another day

Ā 

Rog

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Just a thought DJ,Ā  Ā but no doubt you've investigated the possibility of something in your garden that you may allergic to. Not knowing your history of problems, just saying, is all. One hears of cases similar, ie, nettle rash etc., among others. B..

Ā 

It's always possible BK, but I only developed the problem after returning from Mexico.Ā  I was the only one out of four who swam in the pools, in the sea and also in an underground cenote.Ā  I also 'hammered' the Sun bathing more than them, but was already well tanned before I went'

Allergy tests show no particular reactions to pollen or anything else much.Ā  Just an indication of a massive allergic response to something.

Ā 

Interestingly, I've just discovered that many people in North America are allergic to Juniper pollen.Ā  I'm not sure there's much Juniper growing in the Yucatan, but there's juniper berry in Gin.Ā  I don't usually drink Gin as it's been known to give me a headache out of all proportion to the quantity, even if I've just had a double to finish an evening in the pub.Ā  However, when we were in Mexico we got into the habit of having a couple of G and Ts before dinner.

I enjoyed that so much that I bought myself a litre of Gin when I got back.Ā  It didn't last long...

Makes you wonder...

Not sure Phil,bit of a grey area,five of them "hibernated" when I was looking at themĀ  slywink

Ā 

Rog

56 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Allergyļ»æ tests show no particular reactionsļ»æ to pollen or anything eļ»ælse muchļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ.Ā  Jļ»æust an indication of a maļ»æssive allergic response to something.ļ»æļ»æļ»æ

Ā 

You ain't been near any poor people have you? Ā 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've just come in out of the freezing cold after working on the Fergie. The battery took a full charge overnight, I've fixed the dodgy starter switch and the engine just turns over fine. I would have put some petrol in to fire it up but it's time for a cup of Earl Grey and a bun and far too cold to go ousideĀ again. Might try tomorrow if its warmer.

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Well done Col. I've just spent a fortnight laying slabs, hedge cutting, jet blasting, fence replacement, and a multitude of other strenuous, tiring and backbreaking jobs, but having just looked out of the bedroom window, I can clearly see that my efforts have been worthwhile.

Glad to see that you mention respecting the Union flag. I was getting a bit worried till I saw that. Well done !

Ā 

I know how to hang the flag the right way up too.. which is more than can be said for many..Ā  :)

Ā 

My garden is a bit awkward in one sense.Ā  It's South facing, which is what I want, because I love being out in the sun.Ā  But the corollary (big word for this time of day..) is that the 'back' fence is North facing and it has two dark corners with the side fences. The garden is basically a square, about 30ft. I have a 'patio' of sorts, then a lawn and borders around 3-4 feet wide all around.Ā  Not very imaginative, but relatively easy maintenance.Ā  It's just difficult to get anything very exciting to grow right in the two corners I mentioned.Ā  The biggest thing on the back fence is a large Buddleia Globosa which is mainly there now to screen us from the Glum Family at the back who I've given up trying to get on with. I recently added a Prunus Kanzan in the left corner as viewed, but well into the garden to allow for its expected spread. It replaced a Lilac I brought here with me which was descended from the one my Grandad had in Boowul Hall. I planted a Bird Cherry close to the right hand corner, but it's also overhung by my neighnour's Laburnum, which buries my plants in fallen yellow blossom as well as taking the low afternoon sun in spring and autumn.

There's an ongoing debate between me and Mrs Col.Ā  I believe in keeping individual plants, especially shrubs, in check, to stop them from taking over whole borders.Ā  I can get away with it with something like my Weigela, because that needs all flowered shoots taking right back each year so it will flower on new shoots the following year, and after demonstrating this to her for about 20 years, it has now sunk in with Mrs Col. With the Buddleia though, it grows fast and every so many years really needs to be cut almost down to the ground.Ā  Every time I do this I get accused of 'killing' it, and every time it bounces back to above fence height within a season.Ā  Same with the Fuschia Riccartonii, which has also come back from the dead numerous times..Ā  :)

Other things though.. just need to be kept in check and if I so much as snip off a twig to prevent it from taking someones eye out, I get days of moaning.

Ā 

My 'patio' is an uneven mix of assorted slabs and needs completely re-laying, but I'm not sure I'm up for that.Ā  I'd also like to reduce the area of grass I have to maintain.Ā  I think I'd do that by adding some paths and raised borders which would be easier to manage as I enter my dotage.

Ā 

Nothing done today though as it's wet and windy.Ā  The good thing about retirement is that you can largely do stuff when it suits you and the few plants I still need to put in can wait till the expected better weather at the weekend.

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I drink Earl Grey, so does the Queen!

Ā 

I bet you both go to the loo too...so what's your point?Ā  :laugh:

8 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Ā 

You ain't been near any poor people have you? Ā :Friends:

Ā 

Never bin near owt else Red!

Col, there's a type of yellow flowered climbing plant, a bit like ivy, but with furry leaves. I think it's called Californian something or other.Ā 

We had one for years, till Mrs Fly pruned it, and came out in a rash for several days.

There's also something in Pine / Fir trees that's an irritant too. A work colleague was almost hospitalised once after pruning his. I don't know what species they were though.

Freemontodendron or Californian GloryĀ , that's it.Ā 

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I drink Earl Grey, so does the Queen!

You always wereĀ in good company Phil ..............Ā Ā I think, Ā smile2Ā 

39 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Freemontodendron or Californian GloryĀ , that's it.Ā 

Ā 

Don't think there's any of that hereabouts.Ā  Also, though I do much of my gardening very close to a 'state of Nature'.. I have taken to wearing gloves when handling most plants.Ā  :)

Ā 

2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Went down the farm for an hour this morning to check on the pigeon situation slywink, got home and strimmered that piece of land the other side of my back garden fence,got lunch ready for Mrs P, Ploughmans with some mature Chedder,took off to Hombase in Newark for a tin of white silk emulsion paint, the kitchen ceiling is now finished and I am about to start painting the walls after I have had my coffee,for dinner I will do Mrs P a jacket spud with cheese and salad,beetroot andĀ  italian dressing,I will have a Ginsters Cornish pasty with some oven chips and bisto gravy, tomorrow is another day

Ā 

Rog

Ploughman's lunch with silk emulsion Rog?? We have salad cream or chutney with ours.Ā Ā :laughing:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It became illegal on 25th. April, Rog

Ā 

Dint exactly shoot em Phil, I read them a few posts from "ailments,aches and pains" and "Keep one drop one" and they just gave up and diedĀ  thumbsup

Ā 

Rog

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Beekay said:

We have salad cream or chutney with ours.

Ā 

You've never lived BK, salad cream indeed

Ā 

Rog

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

At least ā€˜gas gunsā€™ are silent!Ā :biggrin:

Ā 

I think I've got one of those.....

Can be a bit whiffy though.....