How's your day?

15 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I don't think you need the plural there Mary. Only one person I could see made a chauvinist comment. And it wasn't me.

ok

compusmashjust seeing if you was awake

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Well we are now in the 40's not 1940's but temperature wise, tomorrow is going to reach 41.c  Its unbearable. Even swimming doesnt give any relief, the water temperature is 32 c.I've had the windows and doors closed, blinds down and shutters closed, lights on. The poor dogs have to relieve themselves then they want to lounge in the heat but I have to bring them in otherwise its roasted chihuahuas and bbqed pinscher.I feel sorry for my daughter and husband in their kitchens having to cook . On top of that there was a burst water pipe and the whole of the village was without water. Bars couldnt serve coffees etc. fortunately restaurants were able to work as the water came back on just before lunch. My daughter saw the burst pipe last night and she got organised by filling all the pots and pans she could find and only served cool meals. ( Who wants a hot meal in this heat) Roll on autumn and winter.:wacko:

8.30 pm now just had a walk outside , its a bit cooler but not so much. Stood watching about 10-12 swifts swooping down to drink water, they miss and then circle round again for the next dip, theyre not the only ones I've just netted a cupful of wasps from the surface, only hope theyve got their nest a long way from us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes Den, a fantastic result against a reasonable team. Well done girls ! englandflag

Today I went to the NorthWest Hi Fi Show at Cranage Hall in Cheshire.   

It's a smaller and more 'intimate' show than the big one in Bristol. Very friendly and relaxed. Always bump into some old friends and acquaintances from both the 'punter' side and the industry side. Today we kept bumping into Dean, who is a science teacher from Sheffield, but also something of a legend in hi fi and music circles, due to his encyclopaedic knowledge of all things R&B, Motown, Soul, Reggae, etc. A good bloke.

I'm not looking to buy any kit, as I'm happy with my present system, but it's good to see what's happening and a general all around good day out.

Free entry as always, but this year we were greeted with free glasses of Prosecco, (Which even I declined at 10:30 a.m.) and fresh orange juice.  Nice touch.

My only purchase was Jennifer Warnes' latest album.. on vinyl.. Her first since 'The Well' in 2001, which had its good points, but in comparison to her previous two epic albums, 'Famous Blue Raincoat' in 1986, and 'The Hunter' in 1991, was a bit of a disappointment.

charles_donovan_review.jpg

"Love this record, superb musicians and studio sound. Jen's vocals are sublime, and the choice of songs is meaningful in a way most cover versions aren't. Love it from start to finish."

–Amazon reviewer

“Some vocalists turn everything they sing into pure audio gold. One such vocalist is Jennifer Warnes, who brings originality, style, and grace to everything her voice touches.”

–Sound & Vision

Jennifer Warnes is one of those special artists who quietly produce landmark works, which enter the canon of great music almost unnoticed.

Putting shelves up

Plumbing in washing machine connecting televisions,

Mending wardrobes

And much more,,thank the lord for my sons,especially son in law,,all the above or even any,,i could not have managed,, 

So slowly settling in our new home,,felt drained just watching em,,but made myself useful getting to know our new neighbours,, Kate one side and Margie the other,,seem lovely ladies,about my age,,:-) 

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

but made myself useful getting to know our new neighbours,, Kate one side and Margie the other,,seem lovely ladies, about my age,,:-) 

You can take the bloke out of Bulwell, but you can't take Bulwell out of the bloke.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Your Triangle paintbrush Col., I've got just the use for it... You could paint Toblerones .  :yahoo:

• Like 1

Just been to collect a 'Rug Doctor' carpet cleaning machine from Tesco in Haydock.  Ten mins from here.

Not a promising start.  Had to enter the keycode for the locker about 30 times to get the door to open.

Lifted the machine out and tilted it slightly to figure out how to extend the foldaway handle...  Result.. half a gallon of water on the floor.  Had to inform staff so they could get it cleaned up.  Slip hazard. Then took the machine out to my car and laid it on its side to drain another couple of gallons of water out before placing it UPRIGHT in car, which meant chucking parcel shelf onto back seat and lowering the handle of the machine again.

Notoiced that the 'dirty water' container looks like the previous user hasn't even bothered to give it a swill out with clean water after emptying.

Why would you be concerned enough to clean your own carpets, but not concerned enough to consider the next user of the machine?  Typical of this country these days.

Anyway, then remembered I'd not collected the hand held attachment or instruction leaflets from the locker so had to go back and spend another 20 minutes getting the thing to open.

Whether the 'Rug Doctor' turns out to be Dr Kildare, or Dr Shipman.. remains to be seen....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

They are good Col, tip: take your time! Don't try using it the same as a vacuum cleaner, go S L O W and give it time to work. Be prepared to be amazed at the amount of muck it gets out.

All done Brew.

I found a video which recommended NOT putting the detergent in the machine, as it is impossible to get it all out and carpets get dirty again quickly.  So, as recommended, I diluted the detergent at the same ratio as in machine, but just sprayed it onto the carpet and let it stand for 15 minutes.  I used about four litres and put a bit more on wear areas and less on bits covered by the bed and so on.  Then just used the machine as normal but with warm clean water rather than detergent mix.  It worked a treat.

Next up, made sure the tank was empty and did another pass 'dry', to remove as much water as possible.

Not a massive difference because visually the carpet was clean anyway except for slightly flattened 'traffic' areas.

As you say though.  Plenty of muck came out.

I'm now going to have a go at my armchair and if that works I'll do the others.

Any time left and I'll do the interior of my car.  :)

• Upvote 1

Can remember my parents hiring a carpet cleaner. Glad we've got tiles, you can see when they're dirty. More hygienic and cooler to wak on, even in winter.

Not so many blokes Jill,,the ladies tend to outlive us,,

Oh yes just realised I'm dangerously close to Selston,, can i pop round for a cup of sugar,?   If we run out,,lol,

9 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Not so many blokes Jill,,the ladies tend to outlive us,,

Oh yes just realised I'm dangerously close to Selston,, can i pop round for a cup of sugar,?   If we run out,,lol,

Nip back to Marsdens, that's if they still sell sugar !

• Like 1

Worked in the Marsdens and Savemore that was the same company,,here where we've just moved to,,mind you it was back in the 60s,,wonder if June,,Valda,,and Shiela still live here,? Lol 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The 'Saga of the Rug Doctor' continues...

By the time I'd got the thing home and cleaned it up before use, time was getting on. I successfully cleaned the bedroom carpet and then set about the upholstery. Firstly, the upholstery attachment was filthy. Thick layer of sludge type stuff inside the cleaning head.  Cleaned it up and attached it to the machine to find that the small water feed hose gets 'kinked' by the weight of the vacuum hose.  Oh well.. Switched on and found that the 'trigger' on the cleaner head had no effect.  Water was squirting out continually..  After a pretty quick job on one armchair.. I gave up as water/detergent mix was spraying everywhere.  It was too late to call Rug Doc Customer Services.

Just called them.  Received an apology and an offer to pick up another machine free of charge when I return the present one. Be interesting to see what state the next one is in...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Can remember my parents hiring a carpet cleaner. Glad we've got tiles, you can see when they're dirty. More hygienic and cooler to wak on, even in winter.

Thing is Nonna, as you know 'fitted' carpets became the norm here from probably the 60s onward.  It's true there's been a big move to rugs and laminates, or varnished floorboards and so on.  My experience of laminate floors etc., is that they are always dusty, simply from being in the same room as people, soft furnishings etc. and need to be mopped at least daily, sometimes more.  Probably more hygienic but a right royal PITA.

I suppose ideally we should all have sofas etc., that have clearance underneath for cleaning, but we don't, and moving furniture everytime you hoover isn't easy, especially with  recliners, which weigh a ton.  Our next lounge suite will definitely not be another recliner.  It's only comfortable for me when reclined, but then I get leg cramps after a while. The upright sitting position of awful.  The thing is also very bulky for the sitting space it actually delivers.  I'd get rid tomorrow but for 'er indoors.

• Like 1

Yes DJ even the tiles get dusty but a slightly damp mop does miracles. We have a lot of dust here , the weather although humid brings a lot of sand down, then we have tractors cutting, drying, tossing the dry grass and then bailing it , it does create a lot of "bits".

On top of that we have 3 dogs at home and a borrowed one from my daughter. One of the chuahuas is a long haired and the amount of fur collected is to be seen to be believed. The floors sometimes get " dusted" twice a day, but whilst the weathers been exceptionally hot they aren't too bad as they are flopped out most of the day.

When I first came here and my inlaws knew we had carpets everywhere they thought it was terrible to think of all the dirt that was hidden. I had to tell them the carpets were hoovered daily and there were various means of cleaning them. Now I don't think I could go back to carpets. I love walking barefoot and in doing so can tell how dusty the floor is, but it is lovely to walk barefoot on a carpet . My husband worked in restaurants with carpets and said it was difficult to walk on the carpets having been to tiles all his life.

So, my rental of a filthy and only partially functioning Rug Doctor officially ended at 11:00 a.m.  However, after my call to Customer Services listing the catalogue of issues, they offered me a further 24 hours use of a machine from 12:00 noon today.  I only needed to take the old machine back at 12:00 and collect another from a different locker...

I arrived at 12:00 on the dot and put my rented and now much cleaner machine back in the locker, along with its faulty, (but now clean..) Upholstery Attachment.

Moved to No1 locker and entered the code to get my replacement machine.  The locker was empty....

Spitting feathers, I called Customer Services again....

They explained that the machine should have been returned to No.1 locker at 10:00 a.m.

I explained that it clearly hadn't been..  I pointed out that there did appear to be a machine in No.2 locker.

"Ahh.. yes.. but that's faulty and been withdrawn from use until repaired."

"Right", quoth I.. "Out of three machines.. two are faulty and one is missing...  Not looking great is it?"

Customer Services agreed and apologised profusely, then offered me a machine from another store.  They asked me where might be convenient.  I suggested Tesco St Helens.. just a five mile drive in the opposite direction.

"They're showing as closed". 

" Biggest Tesco for miles around.. closed at noon on a Tuesday?"

"That's what it says here....  How about Asda St Helens? "

I agreed.

"You can have the machine until 6:00 p.m. tomorrow....."

"Thank you".

Miracle of Miracles!! Not only was the machine there.  It was brand new and unused....

I'm wondering whether to give the bedroom carpet a second go...

• Like 3

This is the problem with hiring stuff. I borrowed a two stroke post hole borer recently and spent half the morning getting it to work by stripping the carb and retuning it. I once hired a mini digger and a dumper truck. The truck, being diesel, was difficult to turn over and wouldn't start. Just then the vicar turned up and asked if he could help. "Get on your knees and pray whilst I turn the handle" I said. He did just that; I swung the handle and it started! We were both surprised and he almost had a convert! :biggrin:

• Like 4