How's your day?

It seems my sparrow godson has flown the nest (well the garden really). He was practising flying this morning up and down the garden in between feeds before I went out. Came back and let boys out who hunted all round garden for him to no avail. I have been and had a look in his favourite hiding place and done a general look round of garden and can’t see him. Very relieved mission accomplished:jumping:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Brew so do I, and flies , mosquitoes and wasps. We do have mosquito screens but we have to open doors occasionally. I have a bead curtain up to the kitchen door because its near the front door, it does help as its in continuous movement.

16 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Brew so do I, and flies , mosquitoes and wasps. We do have mosquito screens but we have to open doors occasionally. I have a bead curtain up to the kitchen door because its near the front door, it does help as its in continuous movement.

Reminder to self, book holiday in Italy.   Skeggy ...

• Like 1

After first night in the new bed I awoke far too early but refreshed. 

I want to fit a new power socket in the bedroom so that there's one each side of the bed for bedside lamps etc., rather than the current arrangement of an extension lead.  Due to the lie of the underfloor joists etc., I reckon the best bet is to go from under landing floorboards, using either original 15A wiring, or by breaking into one of the hefty new 'feeds' installed when the kitchen was renewed.  I'm not entirely sure how to tackle this...  Where's Benjamin when you need him?  I almost got around to lifting landing carpet and floorboards , but  decided I was too tired and achey after recent exertions.  Even Mrs Col said 'if you don't feel like doing it.. leave it 'til you do...'

So, I reluctantly spent the afternoon in a prone position on a conveniently placed sun lounger which just sort of happened to be there.

A couple of times I got seriously excited and spent as much as two minutes 'dead heading' Geums, Dahlias, Nicotianas and Dianthus.

Early evening, I went to my car and fitted the new 'genuine and original' floor mats on which I have splurged £16.  Adequate they are.  Genuine and original, they are not.

Life is riveting at present.  :)

• Upvote 2

Power points are never in the right place in the right situation. When we moved into this house we had new wiring and thought ' this is where we need this , that and the other so put them there'. Furniture and kitchen arrived and the power points were where we said but the kitchen furniture hid a lot of them. Called the electrician back to place them where needed. In the bedroom we had points either side of the bed then we changed the bedroon around and we only had a point on one side, so extentions were needed, not very satisfactory as an extention was needed on the cables of the bedside lamp. We need to put everything in its place then have the wiring done or not?

• Upvote 1

One can never have too many power points. Get an expert in. It's less stressful, and safer.

Oh dear. After all the beautiful dry and sunny weather we've had lately, it's raining this morning. Which means I've got to undertake a job I don't relish, but desperately needs doing. Washing all the bird pooh, leaf sap, moss, green algae, muck and any other general detritus from the greenhouse.

At least the rain will have loosened some of it. Buckets of suds, long handled plastic brush thingy, then the jet wash. Simple eh ?

I just hope it clears up in time for those who've arranged outdoor fêtes, galas, tea parties and other assorted get togethers. 

If it’s from just one side of the bed to the other it’s hardly worth the hassle of putting in an extra point. Surely an extension cable will be largely hidden. Alternatively, for tidiness you could use mini, self adhesive trunking and clip the cable into that. Life’s too short for perfectionism!:biggrin:

10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

original 15A wiring, or by breaking into one of the hefty new 'feeds'

Col unless that is a typo I'd suggest you get someone in to do it for you. There have not been 15A circuits for many years and breaking into  a 'feed' needs careful consideration. 

Questions:

'Feed' cable size

Is the feed a ring circuit

Do you need a fused spur unit

What size cables are you installing

Fuses or breakers - what size

There are other things to consideration as well

Electrical faults are a major cause of fires - please be careful.

Fly its ok having loads of power points but theres always the temptation to use a few together and our electricity won't take it. Think I said before we only have 3 kw in Italy, some have more but in this area thats all we have. At the moment I have 2 dehumidifiers on a couple of fans ,( due to the humidity to dry the floor after its been washed.) the washer, fridge , freezer, lights as everywhere is shuttered up and its dark to keep everywhere cool. If I was to put an electric kettle or the oven on the meter would trip. Believe me its a niusance and it took me ages to get used to it after living in UK but you do get used to it and I've learnt to boil a pan of water for a cuppa on the gas. smile2

• Upvote 1

Phil we did do that but the extentions we had weren't long enough. Our beds are a lot wider than beds in UK. We have a night light and one bedside lamp.Here when its dark its dark, we have the night light or else we walk round feeling our way. They put up a street light last year but its a bit far away to light us up.

Nonna, you need someone in the back garden on a pushbike with a dynamo and make em pedal like there's no tomorrow. !  :dancingN:

On new installations this side of the pond it's a minimum requirement of outlets per room, so if one had a very large bedroom, say 14ft by 16 or larger, you'd have at least two outlets per wall, maybe more, 7 per circuit, no more under code. Ring mains are unheard of, highly dangerous too.

When I was in mining, ring mains on the main high voltage circuits were pretty common, one electrician at Cotgrave died due to it and he made a very silly mistake. When I was at Clifton, our engineer wouldn't hear of a ring main, way too dangerous he stated and had it isolated at the most inye side of it, leaving two independent circuits. Outlawed in Australia too for the same reasons, too dangerous.

I've asked around this side of the pond and fellow electricians have never heard of a ring main, I cannot find anything in the NEC code book either on the application of them, so presume banned here.

Brew, 15A was just force of habit from way back.  I of course meant 13A.

I'll be installing 2.5mm flat twin and earth, as used in all original power socket  installations here. It's unlikely I'll need to use the new 'kitchen feeds'.

All upstairs power sockets are fed from above, in the loft.  Sadly all of that wiring is no longer easily accessible as it is buried under insulation and loft boarding. Even if it were accessible in loft, I'd be into dropping a wire through a stud wall and thus having to break into it at several points to get wires past 'head' and 'sole' plate and who knows how many noggins.

So, I think my best bet is to identify wiring under first floor that is 2.5mm, running to an existing socket and use a junction box to take a spur from it. As I understand it this is legal.

Years ago I fitted a dedicated ring main into a spare section on the distribution board, which is conveniently positioned on the other side of the wall from where my hi-fi sits. I wired that with 30A cable, as was the 'audiophile' thinking at the time, though it is fused at 13A. It only fed a high quality Crabtree double unswitched socket.  I soon needed more for the hi-fi so fitted another 'ring', also on 30A cable but feeding 5 double unswitched Crabtree sockets.  It went into the same section of the old fused distribution board. When I had the board replaced a year or so back, I asked the electrician for his opinion and he said my work was fine. There was space for each 'ring' to have its own section of the board.

Perhaps Ayeup you could ask these experts just what it is about a ring main that is so 'highly dangerous', I'd be very interested to know.

13 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Brew, 15A was just force of habit from way back.  I of course meant 13A.

Col that sounds OK. Remember though if you have to run the circuit back to the board it becomes liable to a part P notification and test.

Anyway.  This morning I made Hummus and had two slices of wholemeal 'Oat and Barley' bread, toasted and liberally spread with hummus, for lunch.  Magic.

I use:

1 can drained chick peas.

30 ml (approx) or juice of one lemon.

30 ml Tahini.

30 ml Olive Oil

1 small clove garlic (minced)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.

15-30 mls water, or liquor from the chickpeas, to adjust consistency.

I'm getting quicker at this and can now assemble everything, make the hummus and have all kit cleaned and put away in about an hour.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

This morning I made Hummus

Sorry I don't speak culinary, I have no idea what all that means...    :wacko:

1 minute ago, Brew said:

Col that sounds OK. Remember though if you have to run the circuit back to the board it becomes liable to a part P notification and test.

It won't come to that.  Only thing that occurs is that I need to check whether I still have sections labelled 'upstairs' and 'downstairs' sockets, as this would effectively be an upstairs socket wired with the 'downstairs' lot.

I need to check this out with lights too. I used to have two sections labelled upstairs lights and downstairs lights.  With new distribution board, I now just have two sections labelled 'lights'. It's not clear exactly what each breaker controls..something I still need to check out.

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

You don't know what hummus is?

I've never made it myself - buy mine in little pots from Tesco...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have heard of it but honestly would not recognise it and there is not a chance I would ever try to make such stuff..

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

You don't know what hummus is?

19 minutes ago, Brew said:

I always thought hummus was the collective noun for a group of these.

2muPohI.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Naahhh.. They're Hummers.  The collective noun for them is a 'Stench'.