How's your day?

Think the Liverpool one is Kirby,, did a couple of jobs there,, you'll be surprised to know Cliff ton,,  lol

Edit sorry cliff ton you're right it is Kirkby,,its just that the scousers pronounce it Kirby. 

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I like Liverpool as a whole,,however in Kirby or Kirkby it was a little different,,

I've been threatened (par for the course as a SD) in just about every city in the country,,but in Kirkby i was threatened while just doing interviews,,

57 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

I like Liverpool as a whole,,however in Kirby or Kirkby it was a little different,,

I've been threatened (par for the course as a SD) in just about every city in the country,,but in Kirkby i was threatened while just doing interviews,,

My wife did her teacher training back in the 60's at Kirkby Fields College in Liverpool. I think the college used to be a military base as it was surrounded by a high wire fence and walls. It needed to be! Kirkby itself was a real s***t hole of a council estate back then!

A friend and former colleague of mine did her teacher training in the same place. It was rough indeed!

Did part of my teaching practice in Whitby at a time when the old fishing community was still alive and kicking. The grandmas were extremely fearsome! The lengths they went to to protect their grandsons had to be seen to be believed. The granddaughters, on the other hand, were regarded as worthless.  

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Just had my first proper venture into Kirkby,,its all changed since my days here,,definitely no signs of a Jewish population,, or any other ethnics so far as i could see,,

Found the Wetherspoons used to be a picture house,,nice big place

Bottom of Diamond Avenue, if I'm not wrong. Right next to the worst set of traffic lights in the UK. Let half a vehicle through every 30 minutes! Avoid like the plague!

The rest of Kirkby has been either pedestrianised or converted to charity shops.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

A friend and former colleague of mine did her teacher training in the same place. It was rough indeed!

Did part of my teaching practice in Whitby at a time when the old fishing community was still alive and kicking. The grandmas were extremely fearsome! The lengths they went to to protect their grandsons had to be seen to be believed. The granddaughters, on the other hand, were regarded as worthless.  

Teaching miner's children in Rainworth was a doddle after being in Liverpool!

Thats right Jill,,its called the Regent,,

That junction was always ok,,before they made it no entry on the right coming down Diamond avenue,,

SG was enjoying reading your post not a fan of spiders myself but when I came to the part where the dog wandered in .....I burst out laughing made my day. Unfortunately nobody else around so my two think I'm crazy.

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

My wife did her teacher training back in the 60's at Kirkby Fields College in Liverpool. I think the college used to be a military base as it was surrounded by a high wire fence and walls. It needed to be! Kirkby itself was a real s***t hole of a council estate back then!

I was fascinated by this.  I'd never heard of Kirkby Fields, and neither had Mrs Col.. who is a Scouser.  Even more strange as I did a lot of work towards the end of my Careers Guidance career, in Knowsley College, which had campuses in Kirkby and Huyton.  Incidentally, the 'scouse' pronunciation of Kirkby, has a silent second 'k'.

A quick Google brought up this:  https://www.kirkbyites.net/Nation-makerswithouta peer.htm

And this:  https://kirkbyites5254.blogspot.com/

Which appears to show that 'Kirkby Fields' was originally an 'emergency teacher training college', which ran courses for Malaysians just after WW2 and was located on a 'former munitions factory site'.

There was certainly such a place during WW2, and Mrs Col's Dad worked there as a Security Guard.  Apparently the Germans never had a clue as to its existence and thus never tried to bomb it. As far as I can tell, it was in the area now usually known as 'Kirkby Admin', .. a collection of old single story buildings on the southern edge of Kirkby Industrial Estate, though I'm open to correction on this.  It was some way from the site of the later 'Kirkby College', which was part of Knowsley College, but as far as I know was basically destroyed under the expert guidance of one Michael Gove....

Around here:  https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4728347,-2.85539,170m/data=!3m1!1e3

Maybe...

I haven't visited Kirkby for about 10 years.  I may do so just to see what's what.

It is also famous as the notional basis for 'Z Cars' in the 1960s.  A sprawling series of mostly pretty peaceful 'council' estates, which are no better nor worse than say, Bestwood, Bulwell, or Clifton.

The day didn’t start too well for Cyril the Squirrel.  We spotted him stuck INSIDE a ‘squirrel-proof’ bird feeder in our garden.   We’re not squirrel lovers but we couldn’t watch the poor little thing struggling.  He’d managed to get his head and upper body out of the feeder but from his waist down he was well and truly stuck.  First job was to get properly dressed for the task so we both put some thick leather work gloves on and long sleeved jackets, he was frightened and getting nasty!!  We unhooked the feeder from its stand using a thick wooden walking stick, placed it on the ground and threw a towel completely over the squirrel (who was by now nibbling at the wooden stick) and while I hung onto the other end of the stick to steady the feeder my husband used wire cutters and Cyril soon managed to get out.  The little devil shot off to the end of the garden and straight up to the top of a tree, not a thankyou either!  

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

He'll not be trying that one again I'll bet !

One of our frequent visitors had the audacity to dig out a petunia from one of the wall troughs whilst burying his peanuts. It dropped on the path, and the little bu66er didn't even put it back ! 

• Like 2