How's your day?

Nasty little yard rats.  Jake hates 'em.  He caught one once.  I think it fell off the fence when he was chasing it.  By the time I got to him he'd already dispatched it.  I think he shook it 'til he broke it's neck.  I thought he was going to dispatch me when I tried to take it from him.  He didn't like that.

Never did tell Mrs. L.  I don't think she'd have let him back in the house if she'd known he killed summat!  He was just doing what Beagles do.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Always loved boxing,,so watching some on channel 5,, its from Saudi Arabia,,Amir Khan and Hughie Fury,,don't really care if they win or lose,, just looking at the audience,,glad I'm not there,,all dancing up and down with their mobile phones,,and Rap singers giving it what for,,

Different world from my days travelling the country to either watch or do the security,,

Yes i know I'm old,,but it only seems like yesterday,,when the audience sat and applauded good honest fighters,,wearing a collar and tie,,the  audience that is not the fighters,,lol,,

Some great boxing nights in Nottingham,, ice stadium,,Victoria baths,,Commodore,,Meadow lane,,lots of hotels,,and several leisure centres,, 

Sorry had a bit of a sentimental wax,, carry on,,good night all,,

• Like 2

Agree with you entirely Ben, just finished watching Khan thrash Billy Dib. His corner through the towel in to save him getting a pasting. What I saw of the Fury fight was a shambles. Peter should have disqualified earlier, he even gave the ref a bloody nose ! First scrap, useless, Patel didn't do anything. As for the audience, what an unruly shambles !! Switched off and going to bed. I've got a brilliant ' penny dreadful, western to read. Night all...

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Beekay said:

I allus thought that the scouse pronounciation of Kirkby was   "er Keerby'.

You're right there Beek..

Liverpool has several variations on the Scouse accent, depending on where you go.. but a lot of the Kirkbyites really lay it on thick with a very exaggerated veeeeerrsion.. De all talk like theeve gor a dose of adenoiditis.. knoworrameenlike..la?

3 hours ago, LizzieM said:

First job was to get properly dressed for the task so we both put some thick leather work gloves on and long sleeved jackets, he was frightened and getting nasty!! 

Glad to hear it Lizzy. My daughter just laughs and takes the mick when I warn her not to let her kids get close to the squirrels which run along the back wall of her house.  But I once met a chap whose son had died of septicaemia after being bitten by a Grey.. and a good friend of mine was off work for months and almost lost a finger after being bitten.

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

You're right there Beek..

Liverpool has several variations on the Scouse accent, depending on where you go.. but a lot of the Kirkbyites really lay it on thick with a very exaggerated veeeeerrsion.. De all talk like theeve gor a dose of adenoiditis.. knoworrameenlike..la?

Day due doan day wack.

I always thought they'd just brought up a mouthfull of vomit, rather than a adenoids problem.

Either way, it's a thoroughly disgusting accent.

Ohh I dunno?  I find it varies from a gutteral and aggressive 'spit fest', to an almost lyrical lilt.. with a touch of comedy thrown in. 

I don't think I'd characterise any accent as 'disgusting'. but I will admit that my least favourite one is broad Brummie. 

I just find that some people seem to revel in making their accent extreme, some people clearly like to send themselves up a bit and some people are seemingly totally lacking in self awareness or the ability to modify their speech when needed.

Some locals around here, especially 'SentElliners' can sound remarkably gormless.  'Err across the back fence for instance..  'Paul' becomes 'Paaahhhhlll'.  Really grates.....

Also, if I'm honest I sometimes cringe when I hear more spectacular versions of the Nottm accent.  I suppose I'm more sensitive to it as I don't hear it often..  A young woman dragging a small child into Boowul Wethies some time back.   'gerrineeryerlicklebogger.. we gewin ter  ev sum dinnohh'.  Nice ... :biggrin:

• Like 1

Ha, the bottom paragraph Col..... The mother must have come from several of the uncouth surrounding estates !

I won't wait around for the backlash.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

A young woman dragging a small child into Boowul Wethies some time back.   'gerrineeryerlicklebogger.. we gewin ter  ev sum dinnohh'.  Nice ... :biggrin:

At least she was talking to the child. Those kind of women usually have their eyes fixed on their phone so they wouldn't notice if the kid was still there.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I knew Liverpool well back in the swinging 60's. My girlfriend had given up nursing and had embarked on a teacher training course at Kirkby Fields college in Liverpool. She occupied flats in various areas including Penny Lane, Anfield, Catherine St., and Huyton.  I regularly went to the famous Philharmonic pub which was noted for the most magnificent gents' toilets in the land! The Liverpool people had a strong sense of humour and I presume it's still the same today. One of my memorable experiences was visiting the Anglican Cathedral which was still undergoing construction back then. It was an awe inspiring piece of architecture. In contrast, the new Catholic Cathedral, which had just been completed, had an air of glitter and tackiness about it. We've only been back to the area once since the 60's. Perhaps we ought to revisit and view the changes. It's always been an ambition of mine to take the boat cruise along the Mersey and Manchester Ship Canal from Birkenhead to Salford docks.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Ha, the bottom paragraph Col..... The mother must have come from several of the uncouth surrounding estates !

I won't wait around for the backlash.

Said it before, but a couple I know moved down here must be at least 35 years ago and both still talk broad Bulwell slang. I won't say dialect as it's worse than that ! That is, until she answers the telephone, then it's all Hyacinth Bucket, without the aitches in the right place. When angered, out comes all the effin and blindin you can imagine. Just saying.

He was only 'Just Saying ' Ben !

• Like 1

Phil M. Been tootling around one of your favourite areas this morning. East of the A614 / A6097. (The posh side) Back lanes around Farnsfield, Edingley, Halam, etc. Beautiful scenery and some cracking properties. Beats Basford hands down !

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

'gerrineeryerlicklebogger.. we gewin ter  ev sum dinnohh'.  Nice ... :biggrin:

Suh was wrong wi it..  sahns reight enuf ter me..   yer got cloth ears or wot?        :yahoo:

• Like 2

Just seen a great tennis match, watching Simona Halep annihilate Serena Williams. Poor Serena never got a look in. Still its great to see a fresh face holding that lemon barley tray. A pretty girl with a lovely smile. Bet she can't believe it yet. ( Wonder what happened to that little lad who advertised Robinson's drinks ?)

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Phil M. Been tootling around one of your favourite areas this morning. East of the A614 / A6097. (The posh side) Back lanes around Farnsfield, Edingley, Halam, etc. Beautiful scenery and some cracking properties. Beats Basford hands down !

What? You didn’t come to Bleasby! I worked in Basford for 25 years. Loved every minute of it!

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I knew Liverpool well back in the swinging 60's. My girlfriend had given up nursing and had embarked on a teacher training course at Kirkby Fields college in Liverpool. She occupied flats in various areas including Penny Lane, Anfield, Catherine St., and Huyton.  I regularly went to the famous Philharmonic pub which was noted for the most magnificent gents' toilets in the land! The Liverpool people had a strong sense of humour and I presume it's still the same today. One of my memorable experiences was visiting the Anglican Cathedral which was still undergoing construction back then. It was an awe inspiring piece of architecture. In contrast, the new Catholic Cathedral, which had just been completed, had an air of glitter and tackiness about it. We've only been back to the area once since the 60's. Perhaps we ought to revisit and view the changes. It's always been an ambition of mine to take the boat cruise along the Mersey and Manchester Ship Canal from Birkenhead to Salford docks.  

I went to the very top of the Anglican Cathedral a couple of years back.  It is very high and quite a scary climb up the inside of the tower.

If you've not been back since the 1960s I think you'd be amazed at the changes.  The Albert Dock complex for a start.  Museum of Liverpool Life, the new Central Library, newly polished up Pier Head area, Mathew Street bouncing 24/7, Baltic Triangle, Liverpool One.. etc.,etc.  A weekend won't do it.  I'd go for a week avoiding the weekend.

Last time I was in the 'Phil' was last year about this time. They now have a sign up apologising for the slight 'whiffiness' of the Gents, but pointing out that too much bleach was damaging the exotic stonework.  :wacko:

Yesterday, I jet washed Mrs Col's car, which was..as they say in these parts 'Ayvin' up'.  There was moss growing around the number plates.  She has never taken it to a car wash. I cleaned it inside last week and outside yesterday. She knows where the car wash is, and she knows where the vacuum cleaner is..... so she knows who will be sorting it next.. :glare:

I also jet washed the drive and decided to finally tackle the problem with it...

I laid it.. 56 3x2 concrete flags, the year after my MI.  Took my time and it was fine until water started coming up from a retaining wall which keeps next door's drive about 3 ft above mine.  Result, four flags have moved and created a hole.

So.. today I went and got bags of gravel, sand and cement.

When I've dug out the disaster area, I shall fill it with a dry mix of concrete and re-lay the flags. A few days should see it solid, and a good enough repair until I get the whole lot re-done properly by someone with more energy, better equipment and more idea than me!

I'll also try to find exactly where the water is coming through and 'dam' it with concrete.

It will have.. as they say.. 'two chances'.    :)

I've dragged the bags of stuff out of the car and am just "eying a bit o' snap", before I start the job proper.  Time's gerrin on though and I'll have to get the flagging done before I start to flag..  :laugh:

• Like 1

Just watched the men's singles tennis match. Brilliant !! with a capital B. What a marathon. First time I've seen a 12 all tie breaker in a final set.

Even if you don't like tennis, you have to take your hat off to these two gladiators. Congratulations Novak, hard luck Roger. :bravo:

• Like 1