How's your day?

Also love Llandudno cliff ton,, half way up the Great Orme bumped into a lad from Bestwood estate,, ey up said he,and ey up Barry said i,, as if it was quite normal,,

Did you go in the Cafe at the top cliff ton,? Withall the memorabilia of Randy Turpin,,?

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

We used to go to Llandudno for our holidays with my parents many years ago in the late fifties/early sixties. Isn’t there some sort of a tram that goes up the Great Orme? I can remember trekking up it quite a bit, I am fairly sure my dad met Randolph Turpin at the top once. Also went to Conway and Caernarvon (spelling?) as my dad had a thing about castles.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Hire a narrow boat Gem, 

That is a definite no no, I think two ladies with a combined age of 199 years are best kept on dry land but I must admit for myself I like the idea.

Ben, Workington would never have popped into mind but maybe Whitehaven could be a nice place, will have a look at their tourist information site. As long as they don't ask to cross the desert on a camel I will consider most things.

Yes SG,,it was on the tram where i bumped into the Bestwood lad,,,in the fifties holidayed at Rhyl just down the coast,,and recall Dad telling me ""that was Randy Turpin he just said how do to"" on the Beach,,

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Also love Llandudno cliff ton,, Did you go in the Cafe at the top cliff ton,? 

22 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

Isn’t there some sort of a tram that goes up the Great Orme? 

From the front of the tram/train, sitting at the top of Great Orme. Llandudno is the built-up area in the distance.

U7GtdaA.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just sitting here with me coffee and noticed a daddy long legs in the room. I opened a window, gently caught him in my hands and put him outside. I bet you are thinking, so what? My dad would be so proud of me, as a kid, sitting on the outside loo, I would scream bloody murder if there was any insect flying around me, and he'd come and remove it for me. I'm all growed up now!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Went to the practice round on Tuesday at The Open. Although showers were forecast it turned out a lovely day. Yesterday it rained every bit of the day. Today we have tickets for the first round, rain was forecast again for the whole day. Up this morning at 5 and it was raining, but now it's bright at 7.30, so hope it stays that way. I just hate the Drowned Rat look!

• Upvote 1

Gotta fix the flapper valve in one of the bogs.  About all I'm good for these days since the doctors got a hold on me.

Hard to believe I started life with a bog dahn the yard with newspaper hanging on a nail.  As far as I know it didn't have a flapper valve.  Just a chain and some spiders.  :Shock:

• Like 1

Worra day! Back online after a week of no internet and have to report thunder and lightning. Hope it doesn't bugg*r the line up again.  Went walkabout last Sunday on the long-abandoned isle of Stroma. Spent most of today going through photos trying to find a couple of  half-decentt ones to post.  Watch the ""Out and about" topic over the weekend for some pictures.

• Like 1

Went to see a production of 'The Lion King' at the village Junior School this afternoon.  There were about 150 - 200 children aged 7 - 11 taking part in the show and the singing, acting, make up and costumes were amazing!   A couple of the solo singers really stood out, also the three main hyenas who were an extremely  funny trio...  

All  the children were very disciplined in that they knew where to be at every given stage, yet they obviously were enjoying it all.   They have some very dedicated teachers, I think, to produce such a polished performance.  

Never did anything like that when we were  at Junior School, eh Phil...... we only sang boring songs in the class 'choir'.   

• Like 2

I'm afraid creativity was not encouraged. We still lived in the residue of the Victorian age where it was all about discipline. I'm just reading some old Mellish school magazines from 1947 to 1958 and it was really another world back then. These were rescued by an old school friend from an eBay seller and he's put them online https://hmgs.home.blog

I'm sure your brother would be interested in these if he clicks on the link I've supplied.

• Like 1

I was interested in that link too,  Phil.  Thanks for posting it.   I bookmarked it for later.  Noticed my FIL on that big photo on the first page.

Edited to add.  Our post crossed.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Just had a quick skim through the oldest magazine.

What struck me immediately was the overall quality of the writing even on simple topics.  Put our local rag of a newspaper to shame.  It is written at a grade two level.

I look forward to reading more for the simple  pleasure of reading good stuff.

Thanks for the link, Phil.  I've sent it to my bro, but he's not too well at the moment so may not follow it up

Good day today,,breakfast in Morrisons Kirkby with Donna,,then one of my sons got us back on the Internet,, 

Visit to Docs in Bulwell,, need some blood tests as per normal,,moving to Docs in kirkby,,so thanked all the ladies that work reception for the way they have treated me over the years,,obviously lots of tears,but they'll get over me eventually,, 

Spent the afternoon playing great romantic music from the 60s and 70s,,even had a good dance with my little woman,,best of all we laughed at each other,,with crazy memories,,gonna have a drink now,, cheers y'all,,

• Like 5

I've just read a few pages of the He Ray Mellish magazines and found my brother's name in the new arrivals (Christmas 1947) also when he was involved with rowing.   He was apparently the Secretary in 1953 and he wrote a short account in the magazine.   

I also noted there was a cox by the name of P J Mayfield in later years..... wonder who that could be!

• Upvote 1
On 7/17/2019 at 7:34 PM, FLY2 said:

Llangollen is ok, so is Machynlleth. Good B & B's too.

I have been looking at Llangollen but can't find out if it is 'hilly' it seems a lovely place but we need to be on the flat as much as possible. I have booked a break in Whitehaven (thank you Ben) lots of nice places near to it. Thank you all for advice and ideas, as soon as the sun comes out they are on the move I tell them I'm getting old but they don't listen.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1