• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I wish!!

The heatwave arrived early Tuesday afternoon...

Despite my advancing years and ticker trouble, I love the warm weather. Even as late as 1:00 pm Monday was wondering if the promised heatwave would ever arrive. It did.. an hour or so later. Terrific. Spent most of the day lounging and pottering in the garden.

Sadly, the presence of 'Er Indoors' dictated that I keep at least some attire in place.. How quickly she has forgotten... :D

I ventured into the street late afternoon.. having donned suitable attire. A neighbour.. who thinks he's got major heart problems because a narrowed artery was detected and he had a stent fitted, before worse happened.. spent 20 minutes telling me that I (who had a massive heart attack before anything was detected.. and far too late for stenting ).. that WE should be behavingly sensibly in the heat.. because the Govt. says so. I pointed out that I was just standing about.. with a hat on..whereas he... was washing a car and sweating 'cobs'.. without a hat. "Yebbut .. I've not been lying about in it.." quoth he. "Yebbut.. I have SPF on.. you don't.." quoth I. " But I'm not lying in the Sun". quoth he...

I gave up. I'd sooner argue with a Brexiteer...

Went for a short drive out this Tuesday evening to get a bottle of wine.. At 11:00 p.m. the temp reading on my car was 28 degrees C., even after miles.

When I got back, assorted devices reading between 25 and 28 C .. indoors.

It's warm. I didn't drink the wine.. but a couple of late night G&Ts are going down very well.

These days are rare in the UK. We should revel in them.. celebrate them.. sink hedonistically into them... :)

P.S.  The promised thunder and lightening is just arriving. Could get pretty spectacular...

We're Doomed!  Doomed I tell ye!!

• Upvote 1

It's all kicking off here!!

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

These days are rare in the UK. We should revel in them.. celebrate them.. sink hedonistically into them.

This should help you be hedonistic DJ. Grapes grown in McLaren Vale not far from where we live. Fourteen pounds fifty in Waitrose

2017 The Hedonist Shiraz

• Like 1

£14:50 !!!!  A bit rich for an old wino like me....  :Shock:

4 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

£14:50 !!!!  A bit rich for an old wino like me....  :Shock:

... or £4.50 and a lottery ticket..  ;)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, DJ360 said:

The heatwave arrived early Tuesday 

DJ you think 28/29 is hot and you suffer. We have got 37/41 with high humidity. Its stifling. Windows open all night and still we cant sleep. I was at the hospital yesterday all morning in freezing airconditioning , when I came out it was heaven until I thawed out and began sweating even with air conditioning on in ambulance. We have to suffer this for another couple of weeks and then its suppose to drop 15 degrees.  I wonder !

I'm not complaining Nonna.  I did say I love the warm weather.  I noticed last night at about 11:)) pm when I walked out of an air conditioned supermarket. into a wall of heat.  Very unusual here especially at night.. but I'm not complaining.  I do understand though.. that it can be a real trial for some people.

I too love the heat but this is too much even for the Italians. Theres no break in it, if there was it would be a relief

OK.  I am 9 quid up...  It's better than a smack in the gob... :P

Spectacular lightening show last night. Think it was sheet lightening? I love thunderstorms, comes from my grandma who loved them and we would stand at her door and watch the lightening. She told me it was giants bowling in the Sky. The thunder was the ball rolling down the alley and the lightening was the ball striking the pins. I think that is why I have never been frightened of them.  Mother Nature at her magnificent best.

Unfortunately my two boys don’t like them so I was up with them at 2am, then fell asleep on settee and woke up again at 4am when to went back to bed.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I hate the storms here they are really violent and they frighten me. The rain is so heavy and fast that a flood can appear in next to no time.

Interesting afternoon at Nottm Uni. I was a guest at the hearing science centre. I had several enlightening and enjoyable conversations with the researchers. Hopefully I will be asked to be involved in future research and have something to contribute. I parked at Clifton tram terminal and got the tram to Nottm station and changed for the Uni - what a superb service! Just £2.50 (cons) for a days runabout. Visited my mum's remembrance place and stood for a few moments thinking about us both being there 74 years ago when dad was away with the army. Then had a pint in the Navi, where the AEU meetings used to take place.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, DJ360 said:

£14:50 !!!!  A bit rich for an old wino like me.

DJ, Think quality not quantity, also there is less of a hangover as better quality wine usually has less additives. 

Its just like a good single malt scotch vs a cheap blend.

Well, the bricklayer turned up at 7.30 this morning. Don't think he will last very long in the heat today. We are having an orangery built and just hoping for no delays because I am booked for a fishing trip to the highlands early Sept.

Just reflecting on yesterdays tram ride from Clifton and seeing the huge changes around Wilford and the Meadows.

Dads allotment by the railway embankment, Iremongers pond and Hapenny bridge that we used to jump off as kids.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

Just reflecting on yesterdays tram ride from Clifton and seeing the huge changes around Wilford and the Meadows.

Dads allotment by the railway embankment, Iremongers pond and Hapenny bridge that we used to jump off as kids.

Surprisingly, most of that is still there.

There are still allotments in the area; Iremongers pond is still there; and the Ha'penny bridge is still there - in modified form - because the trams go over it.

Went to let the boys out this morning and who was sitting in the middle of the floor in my side room? Brock the beast. So he has got into my kitchen, trekked across it, luckily not turned left but gone straight on. Got the boys outside without them trying to eat him (yuk) and then went back to where he was. He reacted by turning towards me, (aren’t they supposed to run away) and there we stood for a bit.

We had a discussion about this situation (he wasn’t very talkative just twitched occasionally) and have come to a compromise. He can catch all the flies that venture into that room but he is not allowed into the house. He is not allowed to go into the dog food bags that are in there and when I come into the room he must disappear into his hidey hole and not come out until I have left. He is not allowed to have friends over and will not be getting a key. If he sticks to this I will ignore him but if he doesn’t I will be chasing him again with my trusty broom (will be able to get him out the door now) and turfing him into next doors garden. 

He gave me a long hard stare and then (very fastly) scuttled under the tumble dryer.

I bet he was laughing as he went as he has now got loads of places to hide if I have to chase him. Don’t know which is worse knowing where he is or not knowing.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Give him the taste of your slipper, or a rolled up newspaper !

I don’t like them at all but would not kill one if I can avoid it (must admit I am like that with most things anyway, wasps being the occasional exception) they do consume flies after all so can’t be all bad. 

He hasn’t done bad out of the deal, has somewhere warm and dry to live with food as well. So hopefully we can co-exist if he obeys the rules. Didn’t know they lived for a while, perhaps I should have mentioned rent or would I have had to declare him on my council tax form as a lodger? 

• Like 4