How's your day?

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Ah, the Full Moon. It’s run by the local Price family who use to own George William Price, the lace people.

I live within a few yards of the Full Moon. It is owned by the Price family but not actively 'run' by them Phil. It's had various licencees in recent times and has been hit and miss for the quality of the food. With the current tenants the food is much improved and the early bird deals are quite reasonable. Despite its proximity to me I rarely visit as I prefer a pub for a drink not restaurant that sells drinks.

Sorry for your friend, Steve maybe, but I've not yet found a Blue Monkey beer I like.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Yes, I know the Prices don't run the pub. They do own a large portfolio of various properties. When we first came to the area the pub was run by Harry Grange and his wife. It was a very traditional country pub with one of the houses in the row being a shop. Both were subsequently incorporated into the pub. I think the next landlord was Mick Sisson and wife Connie. They were the ones that ran the lock ins! The pub really flourished in those days. Previously they had run The Navigation by the canal on London Rd. Mick's wife died but he carried on running it with his much younger girlfriend Linda, who used to be a PT instructress in the army. I think she wore him out! He moved back to a Nottingham pub and it was taken over by Irvin White, a plastics manufacturer from Kirkby who lived in the village, ran it as a hobby and virtually drank the place dry all by himself. He drove a Rolls Corniche convertible which was previously owned by Dick Emery. He had to be sent to a place to 'dry out' but he managed to escape over the wall! I believe he was followed by Clive Wisdom who runs a pub in Woodborough but he must be in his 70's now. I rarely go in these days as it's lost its charm. The Waggon at Bleasby is my nearest but I only go in there once a week to meet a couple of old friends. Pubs don't attract me much now. 

I didn't think that I would preserve any fruit or veg this year. I love doing it but it's hard and tiring work that gives a great satisfaction during the winter months. But my SIL gave me so much fruit and veg, too much even to keep for a couple of days so it was all chopped and put into freezer for minestrone etc and puddings during the winter. Today I've made 43 Arancini  now in freezer. Very satisfying two days.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Yes, I know the Prices don't run the pub.

It was Clive Wisdom running it when I moved here in 2000 so I don't recall any of the previous people you name. I run the photo archive for the Local History Society and have a number of photos of the Full Moon from when it was a shop and row of cottages pre pub through the years to present. Clive borrowed a good chunk of the car park and built his house on it prior to selling the place. He still lives there. A couple from the Waggon at Hallam, Rebecca and Will White bought it from Clive but they split up and sold out to the Prices. Will now has the Hearty Goodfellow at Southwell and Rebecca runs the cafe at the Horological Society Upton and did have a pancake place in Newark. I saw Clive last week which is unusual even though we're neighbours. As you say he's in his 70's although wearing well and doesn't look it and seems to work 24 hours every day.

Setting off for Nottm in an hour or so.  Just the usual flying visit to see family.  Will no doubt end up in the Gala tonight playing Bingo, but I've not won 'owt for years...  :(

Just been checking the weather forecast.  At least 14 solid days of showers and a high of about 18 degrees... at least here in the Grand Duchy..  The weather folks are going on about this being 'unusual' for August, but in my experience August is often a wet miserable month.

It's being so cheerful as keeps me going...

• Upvote 1

Eyes down for a Full House then Col !thumbsup

• Like 1

Finally after battling with her all morning Alexa has finally found the podcast episode I want. She has tried to play me all sorts of strange things (even a religious thing at one point) and I have found myself arguing with her:Shock: I’m sure she gets impatient with me as sometimes she just switches herself off and I’m sure she sulks when I keep asking her for the same thing with the words swopped round to see if she can find it, plus she keeps advising me stitcher has some disturbing content (yes I know crime podcasts which are what I listen to). 

Got to the stage where I am not sure if it is me (possibly my accent?) or her. I have got another echo to set up in kitchen but don’t know if I have the energy to argue with two to be honest:Fool:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

Got to the stage where I am not sure if it is me (possibly my accent?) or her. I have got another echo to set up in kitchen but don’t know if I have the energy to argue with two to be honest

Put 'em together and they can argue it out between themselves

• Upvote 1

She seems to be behaving herself at the moment finding the next episodes. Probably lulling me into a false sense of security. Glad I got it when it was on offer in case I throw it out the window!

• Like 2

Is it not ironic the recalcitrant Alexa is considered female? She may be behaving herself now but wait awhile and you'll probably be listening to the Archers..

• Like 1

My sister phoned me yesterday and told me that she'd been to see her doctor to get some test results. The hospital tests had shown that she had lung cancer as they'd found a small piece in the lower corner of her lung. I was devastated as I help my wife with her own cancer. My sister then told me that they are going to do keyhole surgery to remove it within a few weeks. The test results also stated that there was no other cancer anywhere so she's very lucky that they caught it in time. It just shows the importance of seeing your doctor when you have a problem and not just thinking it will go away. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Michael, it's really good that keyhole surgery can be done to remove the cancer in your sister's lung and also that there has been no spread.  You are so right about seeing the doctor early when you feel there may be a problem with your health.  I hope you and your wife are also  managing to stay strong. xx

• Like 1

Had a good bike ride this morning,,,lovely fresh feeling after,,,must admit i cycle a lot on footpaths but its always early and very few people about.

When i do encounter walkers (mostly with dogs) i dismount and bid them ''Good morning'' as happened this morning,,,little elderly lady with a Lurcher,,,told me i was a Gentleman,,had short conversation,,turned out she was originally from Bulwell and moved to Kirkby when she got Wed in the 60s,,made her laugh when i told her ''We must have dated back in the day'''..........must see her again...........lol

Edit,, Got her name (June) but not tel.number  tut,,

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Michael Booth said:

My sister phoned me yesterday and told me that she'd been to see her doctor to get some test results. The hospital tests had shown that she had lung cancer as they'd found a small piece in the lower corner of her lung. I was devastated as I help my wife with her own cancer. My sister then told me that they are going to do keyhole surgery to remove it within a few weeks. The test results also stated that there was no other cancer anywhere so she's very lucky that they caught it in time. It just shows the importance of seeing your doctor when you have a problem and not just thinking it will go away. 

I'm sorry to hear of your sister Michael but as you say she's very lucky to have found it in time and surgery can be done quickly. I agree that seeing your Dr can save a lot of misunderstandings and worry. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

,had short conversation,,turned out she was originally from Bulwell and moved to Kirkby when she got Wed in the 60s,,made her laugh when i told her ''We must have dated back in the day'''..........must see her again...........lol    Edit,, Got her name (June) but not tel.number  tut,,

I reckon you moved to Kirkby simply because you ran out of ladies to chat up in Bulwell.  Fresh fields and all that.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Having been quite successful with Alexa yesterday asked her to play small town murder latest episode whilst I am grooming my boys. She is answering my question “Why are butterfly wings coloured”. 

I wonder if I am thinking one thing in my head and asking another (though why I would ask about butterfly wings I don’t know). Could it old age creeping up on me, could I have a technically savvy ghost, are my boys using it whilst I am in bed, has it been hacked, is Brock the spider creeping in and asking questions. Or could it be she just being a b***h and enjoys p*****g me off? 

She is not going to win (she is at the moment) so I am going to set the other one up in the kitchen this afternoon, reverting to my trusty iPad this morning at least that does what I want (most of the time) to see if that is more compliant and if it is she will be consigned to the kitchen. If not I can argue with her in stereo!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

A depressing wet Sunday, so whilst madam is upstairs ironing, I'm giving Frankie Millers Double Take CD a blasting.

Frankie had a few hits in the 70's, such as Darling, and continued touring throughout the 80's, while also concentrating on his songwriting for such luminaries as Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Sir Rod, Kim Carnes, Cher,  The Bellamy Brothers, Waylon Jennings, Bob Segar, Lulu, Bonnie Tyler, Roy Orbison, Etta James, Joe Cocker, Clint Black, Willie Nelson, Joe Walsh, and the Eagles. However, in 1994, Frankie suffered a massive brain tumour. He was in a coma for five weeks, and hospitalised for fifteen months. For the next 23 years, he couldn't speak or move a muscle.

However, a few years ago, Sir Rod, contacted David McKay, Frankies producer, and enquired if there was anything that could be done, as Frankie was a great inspiration to Rod. David contacted Frankies wife asking if there were any demos and  tapes that had never been previously issued. She turned up with two bin bags full ! 

Dave then set about contacting various singers and musicians, and together they agreed to put out an album. Dave recorded the singers doing Frankies songs, recorded backing, and overdubbed it so that it appears that Frankie is singing duets with them all.

Stars who offered their services include Rod, Elton John, Joe Walsh, Huey Lewis, Bonnie Tyler, Francis Rossi, Kiki Dee, Kid Rock, Delbert McClinton, Kim Carnes, Willie Nelson and  Paul Carrack. The result is an absolutely amazing album of some of the finest singers in the world doing Frankies superb songs. 

Frankie, is now slowly learning to talk again, and is currently undergoing physiotherapy and taking his first steps in 25 years !

Frankie, you are a true inspiration, and totally unique. 

• Like 6

Too hot to do anything. Next few days are critical. How can we survive this heat.? It's already 32 c

Do absolutely NOTHING nonna. What doesn't get done today will keep for a cooler one !  :tanning:

• Like 3

Know what you mean, nonnaB. I was down on the coast earlier (Antibes and Juan les Pins). Even with the sea breeze it was 32 deg.

Back home now where it's quite a bit cooler (le BSL is about 300m above sea level which evens the temperatures out).

Marvellous ! I've just spent an hour clearing up leaves, twigs and the odd branch. Plus the usual front drive detritus. Now it's started raining again, despite glorious sunshine !