How's your day?

We set off earlier to do a 4 or 5 mile walk with Jack near East Bridgford/Kneeton.  Sun was shining and it was about 18C.  Perfect walking weather we thought.  As soon as we started off across the fields the sky looked quite threatening and within minutes we were wet through.   As we hadn’t got showerproof jackets with us we gave up and trekked back to the car and home to dry out.   Disappointing day but at least I’ve had a bit of exercise.  Does anyone know when summer is returning to these shores?  I do miss S of F Jonab !!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Lovely and warm here... slight breeze but no rain yet.  Weather app says there will be light showers after 5pm, but that's OK

I’ve got a weather app on my phone Phil but it gave us 2 or 3 hours of dryness when we set out.   Still, if I hadn’t got home I wouldn’t be listening to Radio Nottm Nostalgia and Nonsense to hear that our DJ360 was making the news years ago, keep missing the year that Paul Robey keeps quoting though, could be 1965 ...... ?  Maybe Col will tell us more when he gets back oop north.  

• Upvote 1

I’ve just decided that it’s a different Col, don’t think he was a trainee at the new double-screen Odeon in 1965.  Interesting though, the two films showing when it opened were Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, with Sound of Music running for FOUR years! 

Didn’t know what to do today, don’t want to take boys out for their 5 mile walk and get them wet through so they stayed in and we just went to local cafe for pots of tea. Decided to go and have a look at Martins Pond, can remember it from my childhood ( many moons ago) when we used to catch sticklebacks and newts there. Frogs and tadpoles as well as far as I can remember. Getting shushed at by fisherman when we got too noisy. I knew they had built a new estate there so just wanted to see what was left of it.

It is still there, a nature reserve now I was pleased to see but is very overgrown. I have never seen bulrushes that tall, they towered over both of us. You can only get near the main pond at the end of the walk where we were mobbed by ducks and 2 moorhens wanting to be fed. To be honest it looks a bit neglected, but I suppose it is better that way for the wildlife. It was not at all how I remembered it, but perhaps it is the same with most childhood memories they become better with time. 

Glad and we went, next time we will take something for the ducks and moorhens, brought back memories of old friends and happy carefree times.

• Like 7

I remember reading about the woman who went to see the Sound of Music every afternoon for all the years it was on at the Odeon. She was given a free perpetual ticket eventually. She said she wanted to die whilst watching it.

There was another persistent (old) fan I heard about who kept going hoping to see a different ending but was always disappointed.

I've never seen it either but I remember my mother liked it - but not enough to see it more than once.

I was taken to see The Sound of Music by my sister at the Odeon. I saw it once. Heaven knows how many times she went! Eventually, we bought the score and I had to put up with her singing I am 16 going on 17 virtually every day. She was precisely that age at the time. Otherwise it was Climb Every Mountain or Eidelweiss.  Made a change from I Could Have Danced All Night which she usually sang standing on a packing case in the spare bedroom, followed by her best friend, Su Pollard's rendition of something or other. I was the captive audience. They never let me sing! :blink:

• Like 1

Not the sound of music,but about same time, took a girl from Dolcis shoe shop long row to see Doris Day in i think ""don't eat the daisy's "" we walked along Vic embankment holding hands afterwards while she sang very loud the words,,

Its an abiding memory,,plus the way she was dressed,, flaired skirt and them very flat shoes,,

Must have been a Thursday half day closing,, about 1961,,   ahhh such times,,

• Like 5

Sorry you have had rain today but it looks like we have it tomorrow. I've just come in from being outside most of today. I feel I'm glowing from the sun. I'm already quite tanned so I won't burn.A shower and going to do a bit of shopping then maybe a take a way. Don't feel like cooking again today.

We are high in the village 271 m above sea level, we are also not far from the mountains that sometimes shield us from bad weather and produce a little extra cooler air but it doesn't make much difference it's still scorching with a humidity of 66%. The clouds are starting to come over so let's see what they bring.

Brenda, I had the impression that you were much closer to sea level than you say. I don't know why I thought that.

My location is in the mountains so there are plenty of cooling air currents.

• Like 1

Re Su Pollard, jonab. She is far more talented as a serious actress and as a singer than she has ever been permitted to demonstrate on tv. Type casting has done her no favours. I've seen her performances at The Arts Theatre before she obtained her Equity card. You won't see that on tv. Such a shame.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Only 9 ish,,already been on me bike,,had chat with June,,now at city hospital having Espresso in the RVS Cafe,,served by the delightful Lynn,,who would like two cherries in her Babycham when i take her out,,

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

TWO cherries !  Watch her Ben, she sounds like a gold digger to me !

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

On the patio with my feet on the little table, with a cuppa and a hot cross bun. Just watching Mrs Fly on her hands and knees on the lawn weeding, and trimming the edges. Does life get any better ?

• Like 2

It was this morning Loppy but rain was forcast so I decided to do some housework ( neglected the last few days because of the weather)

It got very hot and humid but got everything done. This morning I caught the 5 th lizard, I think they're taking up residence here. They are appearing everywhere. However this afternoon it went very dark and I thought here comes the rain and stood watching the clouds coming over. All of a sudden the leaves were floating around and then came a whirlwind that lifted a couple of bins and blew plants over etc and then went on its merry way only to return a few minutes later even more violent.  It did eventually rain very heavily so it was quite a storm to watch. Hope tomorrow is better the rain when it comes frightens me as it rains so strong and fast that we have flash floods.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

No I don't mind them either Loppy, this lot were quite accomodating. They all fell into an ice box which I'd put away into the store room where we have the freezer. The first three were just under the skylight window resting on the wall. I knocked them down ( individually) and they fell directly into the ice box. The other two were a bit different. I had a cloth and duster on a table next to the freezer and wanted to use the top of it  for something so I picked up the cloths , shook them and put them on top of the freezer. A little while later I looked twice at the dusters and saw a lizards head poking out from underneath, got the ice box and flicked the lizard into it. Took it outside to free it walked back to put ice box away when I saw the bigger lizard walking on top of the freezer. They must both have been under the cloths ( wonder what they were doing) so that was flicked into the box and freed. 

We haven't seen any snakes recently but then they are only grass snakes and we haven't any grass now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just got home after going to see the new Lion King film.  It was really good and I thought the animation was excellent....  it was much better than the original version.    It was quite an emotional film because the animals looked so realistic... must admit I cried when Simba's dad died and little Simba tried to get him to wake up, then snuggled down next to him because he didn't know what else to do...

I  like the songs in the film, too.   It's not just a  film for kids so I'm not moving into my second childhood, although come  to think of it, I don't think I've ever fully left my first one.    Lol

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

My cousin who lived South Africa told me they bought Geckos to put in cupboards to keep the insect population in check. I was never sure if he was pulling my leg..

• Like 2