How's your day?

Our dogs chase the lizards . When they are caught the lizards drop their tails. Luckily we've caught the dogs before it all goes into their mouth's

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Gosh!  Looks like I've missed lots of excitement...  And lizzie, thanks for the 'Big Up', but in 1965 I was just starting work as an engineering apprentice at't pit.  I didn't become a world famous and much loved Fab DJ until 1969..:laugh:

I was in Nottm from Saturday until Monday morning.  Went to the famed Gala Bingo both Saturday and Sunday nights and can only say that the place is a sorry reflection of what it was when it first opened.  Was bought out by 'Buzz' a little while back.  Prizes, attendance and the whole atmosphere have gone down hill.  Only one of two bars open and two staff trying to manage a bar and serve food orders at same time.  Place is currently in a death spiral.  Constant messing with the prizes, game formats etc., and an inexorable fall in overall quality of service, entertainment value and 'ancillary' features. If somebody somewhere doesn't soon realise that they are losing customers because they aren't attracting them...  Still, I can live without Bingo.  Never go in this neck of the woods, but used to enjoy it for a change when visiting home.

I dropped into Boowull Wethies early Monday for a coffee.. chat to a few old mates then home.  By which time I was suffering 'unfortunate digestive anomalies...'  :blink:  It dawned on me that this wasn't the first time after a visit to Wethies. Put me into 'miserable on the couch mode' for the rest of the day. I'll have to stick to tea or summat in future.

I came home the 'pretty way', via the A6 to Buxton then Cat and Fiddle pass to Macclesfield etc.  I thought it looked like the Cat and Fiddle pub might be re-opened.  There's no longer any obvious sign of the 'Setter Dog' lower down on the Macclesfield side at Walker Barn.  It just seems to have been re-absorbed into a cluster of anonymous buildings.

Progress Eh?

• Upvote 1

Coffee shop in QMC now,,i know how to live it up,,,casual chat at the counter, lady about my age tells me she won £171 at bingo last night,, told her she could take me out then"" ""where you wanna go"" she says,,told her "Locarno" ""ooh you got me going now"she said," both had a laugh,,and the others in the queue,, as she left told me ""like ya sexy voice""    lol

• Like 6
18 hours ago, MargieH said:

Just got home after going to see the new Lion King film.  It was really good and I thought the animation was excellent....  it was much better than the original version.    It was quite an emotional film because the animals looked so realistic... must admit I cried when Simba's dad died and little Simba tried to get him to wake up, then snuggled down next to him because he didn't know what else to do...

I  like the songs in the film, too.   It's not just a  film for kids so I'm not moving into my second childhood, although come  to think of it, I don't think I've ever fully left my first one.    Lol

You know the saying Margie.

'Growing old is inevitable.  Growing up is optional.'

• Upvote 1

At QMC today to have my ''voice Prosthesis'' changed ,,if your'e curious look it up,,,some people change them their selves,,,,,i'm not brave enough,,,its a tiny thing that enables breathing and speaking,,,only developed about 20 years ago,,my voice/speech therapist gave me some background today,,really clever thing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bank holiday here. After two tiring days, firstly clearing up after the storm and then starting to sort out seating for the party last night and preparing not so much food but making sure we had serving dishes etc that were out of storage and washed .Today we are eating left overs and just relaxing . A well deserved rest. Just waiting now to reheat some pizzas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well I had an interesting day Thursday I drove the wife son and grandson to Newark to buy the grandson his first car. Follows the sat nav as I have not been that way for years, 2 miles from destination on the A46 at an island told to turn right outside lane road markings turn right only inside lane straight on only. Road clear drove onto island and a large Mercedes van with a tail lift drove into my lane hit my front wing and carried straight  on. Chased after it and at the next island shouted to them to stop , the woman driver knew nothing of the accident but all very pleasant and exchanged details. Tried to use app on my phone to contact insurance company no luck, stupid new tech ,I hate it ,  contact them later.

Next day estimate from Audi £3900, try to contact Insurance Company , locked out of my account , stupid new tech, online communication only, hours later they reset my account and it let me in, stupid new tech, found a telephone number and reported accident gave all details, all done, I just have to send dashcam clip.  How do I do that, how does dashcam work, stupid new tech, finally have a copy on my laptop, tried to attach it to email ,too big, stupid new tech. Grandson HELP,  2minutes and he has done it, stupid new tech, its for kids only.

Phoned Insurance today, all ok dashcam proves it was her fault, without dashcam clip I would have no chance of proving it was her fault, isn't this new tech a marvellous thing we should have more of this.

Things have changed since my last insurance claim, 49 years ago, all I had to do then is complete one claim form and draw a diagram. I hope it is 49 years before the next one.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Similar thing , came out of shopping centre car park to turn ( left hand driving here) out onto the main road. Put my indicator to turn right and noticed on the opposite side of the road 4 cars waiting to turn left into where I was going out. The turn was a bit tight so I went a bit slow to make sure I didn't hit the kerb. All of a sudden the 4 Th. car overtook the other 3 and turn into my road. It's a wonder I didn't hit him or him me. Myself and the drivers of the other cars expressions must have been priceless.

• Upvote 2

Went to the garage this morning to have new dash cam  installed. It's very discrete (tiny) and you need to view the picture on a smartphone. All good and I reversed slowly out of the bay knowing full well there was a Mazda sports car close by but it obviously didn't register. Looking at phone and pressing buttons I was just in time to record myself gently scraping down the back wing of the Mazda.

Stupid new tech!

• Like 3

After breakfast, we went to the visitor centre at Sherwood Forest, but it was pouring down, so I proceeded to Worksop. 

God, talk about Royston Vasey ! I foolishly contemplated parking for 4 hours, but settled on 2, as I had the correct change. Thank the Lord for small mercies. The market was on the Main Street, and as the rain had abated slightly we walked down one side, and back the other. 

Men shaped like Humpty Dumpty, and women with goatee's. Frightening ! 

Returned to the car, and still had over an hour left. Never again !

• Like 1

I recently 'acquired' a bigger and far better TV than my current Panasonic V6 'Smart TV'.  The bigger one is a Samsung, has a better picture, works more 'intelligently' with 'ancillaries' etc., and looks better.  So, whilst 'Er indoors' was 'outdoors', I moved the armchair from between my Hi-Fi speakers and replaced it with the new TV.  Next, I put the armchair where the TV had been.  Bit of faffing with different wires etc... and I had the 'new' TV up and running.

From my point of view this is a far better set up.  People from all chairs in the room can see the telly, and I can put the sound through my not exactly cheap hi fi amp and speakers.

It went down like a lead balloon with Mrs Col and we had a huge row about it.  She has always hated change and will come up with any excuse to avoid it.  To me it is obvious that her favoured position of the TV makes no sense when we have a serious hi-fi system to integrate it into. A couple of neighbours agree.  But.. whatever.  I enjoyed a few hours of seriously good TV picture AND sound last night.. but today I put the TV back in the 'approved' position... except that I put the new bigger one there.  If we must have a TV in a stupid position.. we might as well have a decent one.  And since my usual viewng position is a little 'off axis' and the new set has better 'off axis' performance.. I'm a bit better off.

But anyway.. on to 'stupid tech'..  Another thing which has been bugging me is CDs.  I'm overrun with them.  I like the music, but hate the stupid cases, the microscopic 'sleeve notes' etc... and I often spend so long looking for a specific disc that I've gone off the idea by the time I've found it.  If you are sufficiently 'IT Savvy', there are limitless ways of 'ripping' CDs to 'storage' and then replaying them, by using a 'library' on a phone or tablet.. but it's a minefield. . and what I want is convenience, and a relatively idiot proof solution.

So.. today I bought an 'Innuos Zen Mini MK3 Music Server'.

http://innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zenmini-mk3-1tb-hdd

This is basically a box of tricks which will 'rip' all CDs in any format, to a hard drive and allow replay via the hi fi.. But instead of rummaging for the real disc.. it can be called up from a tablet or smartphone.  The 'Zen' will do much more than that... but that's all I need from it.

So. tonight I inspected the box contents and read through the 'Quick Start Guide'..  Stupid Tech....  I understood some of it....

I'm sure I'll get there...

DJ360, don't dismiss the  the PC so easily,  Exact Audio Copy, Traders Little Helper, Cool Edit/Adobe Audition and a £2.50 wireless mouse gives me a similar setup. As for the DAC? I use a DacMagic about £199. The RME-ADI-2 is fantastic but 4 times the price!

This morning my two grandchildren took my daughter and I to the bar for breakfast. ( they had two breakfasts) . Last night we took them out for a sushi meal. Well my youngest grandson ( 14) shook  me on the amount of food he ate. He loves food and never seems to be full.  I stopped after 5 different items but he went on and on and ended up with a soup.  The other night we had a simple get together with friends and he ate plenty. He's a growing lad so hope he doesn't start growing outwards.

Think I will have to remember these few evenings as when they start back to school it'll be all homework for them. ( here the children aren't allowed to be children with all the homework they have) Lovely few days passed with them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have given up on Exact Audio Copy.  I used to use it to copy CD-RWs made from vinyl transfers on my Yamaha CD recorder.. as it meant I could use ordinary CDRs.. which cost nowt.. rather than the CD-R 'Music' ones which are the only ones which work in the CDR  (Serial copy management.. music industry levies.. etc.) But EAC has stopped working for me, despite installing the latest version etc.

Anyway.  The Innuos has a fab reputation for the solidity and ease of use of its internal software etc.  So, I've downloaded the Orange Squeeze app from Google Play, to an old cheap tablet.  That will be the controller.  I even had to google 'how to pay for an app', because I've never downloaded a 'paid' app before.  Sorted it after a bit of a faff.  It immediately started looking for a server to link to.. but it will have to wairt a bit.

Just given my hi-fi rack a clean.. evicted a few spiders etc.  So I'm about to connect everything.

All this business of music servers, streamers, control apps and so on is a mystery to me, but I'm getting there.

The Zen Mini has it's own DAC, which by repute is pretty good, but once up and running I'll compare it to my trusty Benchmark DAC1 via the Zen's co-ax, and optical digital outputs.  If the Benchmark doesn't beat the Zen's own DAC, it can probably go on eBay.  Still worth a few quid I think.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Brew said:

Exactly my thoughts....

3 hours ago, jonab said:

999€ for the Zenmini? Blimey!!!

Actually £995.. so a veritable steal.... :)

Thing is as I said above I've been dancing around this stuff for years and decided to take the plunge with a simple, reliable solution to transferring all my CDs to a server.  Can't be doing with assorted other methods.  This one, as everyone says.. 'just works'.

And after a couple of minutes installing the Zen, updating to latest software etc.. I just fed it a couple of CDs which it 'auto rips' and all the info/metadata appears as if by magic on my Tablet... which will then replay it after a single 'tap'.

Isn't 'stupid tech' wonderful?  :)

• Like 1

Just got back from a walk with the boys to Wollaton Hall. Boys both fast asleep now, bit of a sensory overload for them I think, they didn’t know where to look or sniff, made a new friend Winnie the very attractive boxer (think Wolf asked her for a date he was very interested in her). I haven't been there for years, we used to bike there regularly when we were kids. Had a walk round the lake, with watering stops for boys and so we could sit down and have a ice lolly (us not the boys). 

There are are some beautiful large stags there , they were laying under the trees in the area that is partly fenced off. They are really beautiful deer (think they will be the red deer) and some of the antlers were amazing. All in all very enjoyable.

There were 2 things that we noticed. There are big notices all over the deer enclosure telling you to keep at least 50m away from the deer (isn’t that about the length of a swimming bath), but there were people all round where the stags were lying within a few feet taking pictures etc some of them even had young toddlers. There were also young kids running around, one of the deer was obviously a bit spooked and was running around. Surely your common sense would tell you it was a bit close especially with kids, they are after all a wild animal and they are big.

Secondly there are notices telling you to keep dogs on a lead, my 2 are on flexi leads so can have a bit of freedom to do their doggy things but are still under control. But there were a lot of dogs running free. (Winnie was on a flexi lead as well which allowed mutual doggy greetings.) I know this is a bit of a bugbear with me, but it only takes a few unthoughtful dog owners to get us all tarred with the same brush.

Anyway it was a thoroughly enjoyable walk, boys enjoyed it and now I am going to join them in a nap!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Stupid people StavGirl.  So many times the public have been told to keep well away from the deer, I’ve seen it mentioned in the local papers and on the TV, I honestly think that some idiots don’t believe the warnings are directed at them.   

• Upvote 2