How's your day?

Erics was owned by a relative, as far as I know they never did repairs just a shoe shop. I can remember him going to Northampton every Wednesday to buy stock.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I am not sleeping very well at the moment (must be Brexit) LOL. I am watching Boon also have some episodes recorded,  The Chase is also on my list why through the night is everything so boring. We could start a group of non sleepers and bore each other to sleep......the time is 2.42 not that I am clock watching.

9 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Racking my brains about Clays. We called them Clays the cobblers and I vaguely recall having shoes repaired there.

Were they on Alfreton Rd? Either just below Skills or opposite the Spread Eagle? One or the other was probably Erics. This is back in the late 40's early 50's. They may have stopped cobbling by young Jill's time.

They may have repaired shoes, PP. They certainly sold stick on soles in kits and metal segs to make the soles last longer.

I have an idea that Clay's may have been sited round the back of Eric's which stood on the corner of Alfreton and Hartley Roads, opposite the church. Eventually, both the block of shops and the church were demolished. The shops were replaced by the ugliest collection of concrete maisonettes which, as far as I know, are still there.

7 hours ago, Gem said:

We could start a group of non sleepers and bore each other to sleep......the time is 2.42 not that I am clock watching.

Nearly joined you Gem,,,but had to get back to sleep,,,i was selling ''Mary Baker'' cake mixes to shops in Dorset,,,,talk about crazy dreams,,,

• Like 1

As an additive Jill, I  reckon I'd  got it wrong (as usual !). The shop I  was thinking of couldn't  have been Clays.

If you can cast your mind back, I'm  thinking of a fairly large shop opposite Sir Garnet. Across Denman st., there was Norton st., which had a post office on the corner and on the other, i think it mqy have been a funeral parlour, then there was a barber shop. I particularly  remember that because my butcher boss asked me when I  made a delivery on Norton st., if I  would nip in the barbers and get him " a packet of three". Much to the amusement of two lady customers. Had no idea what he was on about but did as I  was told. Told the barber the packet was for Tom, the butcher on Ilkeston rd. It shook em rigid when I  dropped the envelope on the counter! Also didnt there used to be a little island with a lamppost  on it in the middle of Norton st/Denman st?

8 hours ago, Gem said:

I am not sleeping very well at the moment (must be Brexit) LOL. I am watching Boon also have some episodes recorded,  The Chase is also on my list why through the night is everything so boring. We could start a group of non sleepers and bore each other to sleep......the time is 2.42 not that I am clock watching.

Have you thought of a hobby Gem ? That might keep you busy. (Glad we're  miles apart!).

• Like 1

I remember the little island with the lamp post. There was also a branch of Ford's quite close to the Sir GW. It had the usual Ford's mosaic tiles on the frontage but there was also a freestanding pillar which was covered in mirror mosaic tiles and glittered in the sun.  Just opposite Garden Street there was a crockery shop, a vegetable shop and a newsagents where I remember buying some Christmas decorations one year. Furniture store on the corner of Garden Street, Dann's?

Thanks little sis, you've mentioned shops I'd completely forgotten about. Do you remember just up from Garden St., up towards Bloomsgrove St., the chip shop with a fresh fish next door. Both were open fronted with a connecting door. I'm sure both were Skills. The chips were only 4d a bag, where as the chippie on the corner of Ronald St. were 6d. Don't know if there was any relation to Skill coaches on Alfreton road.

12 hours ago, Gem said:

I am not sleeping very well at the moment  We could start a group of non sleepers and bore each other to sleep......the time is 2.42 not that I am clock watching.

Don't forget that quite a few people who post on Nottstalgia aren't in the UK - they're on the other side of the world, so it's the middle of their day and you won't be keeping them awake. ;)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

I'm sure both were Skills. The chips were only 4d a bag, where as the chippie on the corner of Ronald St. were 6d. Don't know if there was any relation to Skill coaches on Alfreton road.

Indeed, big brother, I remember. Bertha Skill was her name and, yes, she was related to Skills the coach company. My auntie Emily knew her well. Always bought her Friday fish there.

The thing that fascinated me at the time was, they kept their prepared potatoes in a new dustbin ! In went the scoop and another dollop of chips went in the fat....Bliss.

That's exactly how things were in dads chippie ! I've spent hours of my childhood helping by putting spuds in the cement mixer looking thing that removed the skins. Speck them manually, by removing the 'eyes', then tipping them into the automatic chipper ! Happy days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just remembered, the cement mixer thingy was called a rumbler. It was rough inside, and just rubbed the surface of the skin off.

• Like 1

Had a Rumbler in the school kitchen. It was lined inside with what felt like diamond chips, a bit like very rough glass paper. Also had fresh water running through it to wash away the peelings.

I might also add, while in Aukland, we were looking for a post office to mail some letters, lo and behold a postman emptying a post box, excuse me, could you direct me to a post office...Jeeze a bloke with a Brummy accent!! He'd been in NZ many years and hadn't lost his accent.

We had a domestic rumbler once. It stood on the draining board and you connected a hose to the tap, bung the spuds and turn the tap on full. Quite why I thought  you could walk away while it did its thing I don't know...

I never peel my spuds - most of the vitamin C is just under the skin.   Mind you, this is only the case when I'm going to boil them, not for chipping... I never make chips, anyway.    I do roast potatoes without peeling them, though. (Any warty bits or eyes are removed first, though)

Good grief Margie. I hate unpeeled spuds in restaurants and studiously skin them before eating them.  I always assumed they did it due to being cheapskates and then tried to con us the skins are good for you. 

One of life's greatest pleasures are home made chips, true there are some good chippies about nothing really compares to home made.