How's your day?

On 10/30/2019 at 3:23 PM, LizzieM said:

Crikey, what a day it’s been so far and we’re only half way through it.  

For 15 years we’ve had an awkward, cantankerous, but well-educated, bachelor living opposite us.  We’ve helped him out when necessary but have tended to keep him at arm’s length as we didn’t want him relying on us too much.  In recent years he’s trusted me with his debit card to get cash from the ATM and do bits of shopping, with the rest of his food being delivered by The Cheese Shop in Flying Horse Arcade.  This arrangement has suited me fine as I spent several years caring for my Dad and didn’t want or need to take on another old man.  

Last week I had to dress a wound where he’d fallen and the next day arrange a locksmith because he’d been out in a taxi and lost his key ...... nobody else has been trusted with a key and it’s like Fort Knox. 

In the past 2 or 3 days we’ve noticed that his lights weren’t on so yesterday tried his door. No answer and we could see his key was in the lock, inside.  This morning my husband got step ladders out and managed to get into his back garden and saw him lying dead on his kitchen floor, naked!  There was no way I needed to see that.

I rang the Police who arrived quickly, with a Paramedic. They forced the front door open and since then Lymns have been and taken the body away.  While all this was happening I rang his nephew down south (I’ve spoken to him several times before to inform him of admission to hospital etc but have never met him)

He thanked me for letting him know and said he would come up later today “because he’ll need to find his uncle’s Will and other paperwork”   

I make no further comment!!

That's what happens after a death , so sad. Lizzie I know you've done a lot for your neighbour and I was sorry to hear of his death. Especially when no one else was interested in his health only the outcome of his death.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Ciao Nonna, hope you are feeling better after your little adventure. Nice to see you back on line. Please accept my sincere regards and best wishes, Barrie.

• Like 1

Had a lovely day yesterday. Since coming home from hospital Sunday, I have to try to get my walking normal again so at first I walked up and down the driveway many times. In the afternoon my youngest grandson walked with me along the road. I had my arm tucked into his and he walked all the way holding my hand and caressing it. He was so tender. Then he started reminiscing of all the things we'd done together and the little things he'd learned like stitching a button on, embroidery and his favorites making cakes and biscuits.smile2

As we approached home again he said that when I felt better could all 3 of them come again to do the same things. Tomorrow the schools are closed so I have my choice of walking companion. Oh it's great having grandchildren so caring but this one is exceptional, I can see him going into some sort of care work.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Ciao Nonna, hope you are feeling better after your little adventure. Nice to see you back on line. Please accept my sincere regards and best wishes, Barrie.

Thankyou BK , it's been hard. Consultant said 4-5 days but it turned into 13 because a lung deflated and was put onto a rispiration unit which they only took off last midweek.  I've just got to practice walking now. My spine has been straightened quite a bit and now I don't stoop or lean to one side. Put like that seems like I was well past it.

Thanks once again

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Nonna, so pleased to read your positive  posts.  You must be relieved that the operation is over and you can now just concentrate on your recovery.  I think your caring grandson sounds a real treasure!

We've had a busy day today with 2 funerals!   The first was at midday in a neighbouring village and it was standing room only for some people, who had to stand in a side room - the church was full to bursting!   The deceased was a gentle man who had touched many lives by his caring attitude and his wisdom.... loved him!  

We couldn't stay for the wake as we had to rush back to our village for the funeral of a lovely lady who was part of our church fellowship.   This time there were only about 100 people there so no-one had to stand!   Bit crowded in the back room, though, when everyone came in for the wake afterwards.....

Sobering  thought.... both of the deceased were only 10 years older than us :wacko: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I know what you mean Margie.  I’ve spoken to various folk about our neighbour who we discovered deceased yesterday, everybody has said ‘oh well he had a good innings’, (he was 92) well a few years ago I would have agreed with that statement but now I’m in my 70s (only just I hasten to add) it’s not many years more than me!   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thankyou all for your kind words of encouragement. I have put on my fitness tracker again so I can see exactly how I'm progressing. I got fed up of counting the number of times I went up and down the driveway, I kept losing count with all the thoughts going through my mind. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

When I was sitting in the dentist's waiting room this morning there were 10 other people.

3 of them were reading traditional waiting room material (housing and travel magazines) and the other 7 spent all the time looking at their phones. The 3 magazine readers were obviously the oldest, and the 7 phone readers were all noticeably younger.

In a few years time, there will be no need to have magazines in waiting rooms; no-one would know what to do with them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good On Yer Nonna!!

Yesterday I met Picko and Daz from Nottm in Liverpool.  We didn't go into the Cavern because Tony wasn't playing and they've slapped a £2:50 door charge on during the day.. which I think is a real mistake.  Had a modest few scoops, in a couple of different pubs, and a nice (and very rare for me ) bit of Cod in the 'Famous Docklands Chippy'.. plus a general wander about.

Today we are off to a wedding shortly.  Will be a long day....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

When I was sitting in the dentist's waiting room this morning there were 10 other people.

3 of them were reading traditional waiting room material (housing and travel magazines) and the other 7 spent all the time looking at their phones. The 3 magazine readers were obviously the oldest, and the 7 phone readers were all noticeably younger.

In a few years time, there will be no need to have magazines in waiting rooms; no-one would know what to do with them.

Maybe CT., in that few years there will be smart phones on chains dotted around the waiting room.

• Like 1

That's what I'm having. DIY unfortunately, restaurants very very busy and as usual at these times short staffed. Alex stays with me as long as possible then has to dash leaving them all to finish off. So I've just put some Findus breadcrumbed cod in oven. I don't usually like this sort of thing ready frozen but I've had these before and they are quite nice so of course I'm getting a little more exercise which can't be bad.:victory:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No doubt you’ve lost a few pounds while being in hospital for nearly 2 weeks Nonna, as well as muscle loss through not being to get out of bed.  Take things steady and eat whatever you fancy whenever you feel like it.  Your strength will return but you’ve been through a serious procedure, the only way is up now :bighug:

• Like 4

Well only 48 hours after our old neighbour’s  body was removed by Lymns his nephew has been up from Herts with a big van and taken what furniture he wanted from the house!    I think the only items still in the house will belong to Red Cross ....... ‘hospital type’ bed, chairs, Zimmer frames etc.  Sad innit? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Sad yes, but life goes on Lizzie. 

Always best to get rid of the valuables before the valuers come in to assess for inheritance tax. This is usual in families. You can only be assessed on what’s there. The only problem is if there are other potential beneficiaries. That’s when the family fireworks start!

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Always best to get rid of the valuables before the valuers come in to assess for inheritance tax. This is usual in families. You can only be assessed on what’s there. The only problem is if there are other potential beneficiaries. That’s when the family fireworks start!

He came up the day we made the grim discovery.  He found the Will and told me everything is split 4 ways between him and his 3 other relations.  The solicitor is the executor so I’m sure he will drag everything out, time is money!   As for anything valuable, there was very little in the house and I think the nephew has got it now, but it only amounts to Danish retro furniture really. The house will sell for a good price so yes Phil Inheritance Tax will definitely come into play.  

14 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

One way to solve the problem.

We could start to follow the old Egyptian practice of being buried with all our goods and possessions to help us in the afterlife.

LOL, I put my Dad’s watch and favourite knife and fork in his coffin! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They keep telling me I can't take it with me. That was of course before travellers cheques and credit cards!  ;)

• Like 2