How's your day?

I once said that to a police officer Phil, and he said " Are you telling me sir, that your speedometer is malfunctioning"?

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Regulations state that speedos must underread within specified limits. The best way to check your speedo is to download one of the many available GPS apps for your ‘phone and check your speed against it at say, 30,40,50,60 and 70 on a straight road. You will then know what actual speed you can drive at to maintain the actual speed limit. A good way to confirm is with one of the roadside speed devices. My speedo reads 33 indicated at 30 and 74 at 70. Trucks fitted with a tacho have an exact calibrated speedo which is why they overtake you when you you think you’re driving at the limit. Print the speeds out and stick them on the dash if that will help.

That's  always assuming you have a " Smartphone ". Not all of us can afford one. I'm  still using my battered old Doro. It sends text and receives  calls, which is all I  need. ( can't  figure all the other stuff any road !).

Tracfone are world wide and have very cheap smart phones, the service is cheap too, starts at a minimum charge for approx 160 minutes a month, which suited me, as I only need a phone for emergencies while on the road. Any unused minutes will be tacked on to next month. Plans allowing more minutes cost a little more, no contracts either.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Regulations state that speedos must underread within specified limits

A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph.

So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph. Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it’s possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.

GPS systems do tend to be more accurate but they will struggle on steep inclines,  they cannot usually account for vertical travel.

The phone I bought was an Alcatel TCL A1 (A501DL) it has video/still camera, gps, WiFi, and internet plus dozens of other features. Tracfone also has the same phone, reconditioned for free with a plan, mine cost $19-99, which is probably around 13 pounds UK.

I want a dashcam with gps, that logs speed time and position just in case I am pulled over by an over zealous cop saying I was doing 5mph over the speed limit, or have an accident that the other party says I caused. I've watched videos on Youtube that saved the person fines and insurance problems with having front, and sometimes rear and side cameras.

I see Tracphone aren't in the UK yet.

18 minutes ago, Brew said:

A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph.

So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph. Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it’s possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.

GPS systems do tend to be more accurate but they will struggle on steep inclines,  they cannot usually account for vertical travel.

This is why I said check it on a straight road.

Course leaders stated that the 10% +2 mph is a myth and different Police forces use different criteria.

10%+2 makes 35 in a 30 limit 'OK', yet the stopping distance increases from about 46 to 57 metres . Add the fact that most of your speed only comes off in the last few feet and you could still be travelling quick enough to kill, ten metres after you would have stopped from 30.  It's a sobering thought, especially if you've ever had the experience of colliding with a pedestrian.  That sort of thing, plus the massively increased number of hazards in 30 limits, is why they are 30 limits. IMHO, 30 is frequently far too fast in such conditions.

Calculator here:  https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/stopping-distance

If I drive a mile through the village, on the main street, I pass half a dozen pubs/clubs etc. 3 supermarkets, dozens of shops, a petrol station,  a couple of sets of pedestrian lights, two churches, a couple of meeting halls, countless private drives etc.  Because of the dearth of pedestrian crossings, people can and do cross anywhere and everywhere. People of all ages, kids, dogs, cats etc.,etc., and through most of the day even that lot doesn't make it as busy as many 'high streets'.  It's also a long hill.. and even cyclists often fly down it way over the limit.

On the other hand, if I'm doing 85 on a clear dual carriageway in good weather, dry road etc, in a well maintained car..  I'm most likely only doing a few mph faster than anyone I'm overtaking.  Also, we are travelling in the same direction.  Almost all of a hazards mentioned above are absent.  The risk is much lower and mostly to do with people not seeing you approaching them from behind.. so overtaking requires caution.. but if you do it correctly, even that is pretty low risk.

• Like 1

Like I said, although I would not condone speeding, all speedos underread and it's simple to check your actual speed on a straight  and level road with gps. No speeding crime is committed at the legal speed. However you should adjust your speed to the prevailing conditions. This is common sense.

• Like 1

Re: 'Satnavs'  I sometimes use the one associated with Google Maps' on my smartphone. (Samsung A3 2016)  It's OK ..ish.. but a bit 'flakey at times and best used for very local stuff like finding a street in a housing est. etc.

I don't possess a 'cradle' for it and tend to have it on the seat next to me.  I don't look at it.  I just listen with amusement as the female voice mispronounces everything.. but it gets me there.  From what I can tell, using the satnav on a phone is a bit of a legal minefield and you have to be very careful what you do whilst driving.

15 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

if I'm doing 85 on a clear dual carriageway

Knowing now  that speedometers under read and you were  'done' for 85, what did your speedo indicate?     :rolleyes:

I wasn't looking at it as I was concentrating on overtaking, but it was over 80 I think.

The app I use is Digihud which shows your speed in large digits. It need only be a one off exercise as your passenger can call out the speed on a straight and level road and you can note the discrepancy. Stick a label on the dash with the revelant speeds. There's no need to drive slower than the NSL if conditions allow.

What about the Morons who take their car out for a walk? We've  all seen em', the ones who brake when they see a car coming or brake when approaching a slight bend and better still, the herberts who brake going up hill with nobody in front.

I drive with common sense, it's  stood me in good stead for fifty two years. The road bible used to say, " a safe speed is one which you can safely stop, the distance you can see clear". When I'm  driving at 30mph, my satnav tells me I'm  doing 27.

Never could see the need for speed, except of course if you need to get yourself out of a tricky situation.

Yes I’ve noticed that a lot of the doddery old fools round here seem to drive on their brakes. Many of them are people of my age! :biggrin:

My wife comes in from Newark through wet and flooded roads. She said the the gear indicator on the dash showed ‘S’. “Does that mean slippery?” “No stupid, it means ‘Sport’, you must have made the wrong selection. You should have selected ‘Wet Weather mode!” She’s been driving this car for two years. Why don’t some people read the manual? She denied her mistake of course!

RTFM !!

The expression,  which used to be a test failure was, " failure to progress".

Another one was, rule of the road, " drive as near to the left as applicable except when overtaking or turning right". Does this still apply? As it seems to be take care of number one first and sod anyone else, nowadays.