• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

The road I took to work was just two lanes, come summer it was almost impossible to pass anyone driving slow due to tourist buses heading west, almost 50 miles.

Sunday evenings, about every three weeks I'd do a preshift at the pit I worked, didn't matter if I left half hour earlier, or delayed my start, there was this car with an eldely couple in it that dawdled along at 50Kph, every curve in the road they braked, by the time I got to work, I had a migraine headache.

I'm sure they had a bug in my house and listened for when I was making my snap up to go to work, then get out for their weekly Sunday evening drive.

I gave up doing preshift, got fed up with the headaches.

One night into work, I had this idiot about 1 Km behind me with his headlights on full, three mirrors blinding me, I got so peed off, I puled over onto the hard shoulder and waited for him to catch up and pass me.

THEN, I gave him full headlights plus a couple of 110W quartz halogen driving lights. They were so bright I lit up the road for a Km. I sat behind him, slowed when he slowed , eventually I thought he got the picture, dipped my lights and passed him, boy did he dip his lights quickly.

That was in Oz.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Another one was, rule of the road, " drive as near to the left as applicable except when overtaking or turning right". Does this still apply? As it seems to be take care of number one first and sod anyone else, nowadays.

When I did my part 3 practical driving instructors test (where a chief examiner pretends to be a learner) I actually said before we moved off "drive as near to the left as applicable except when overtaking or turning right, & if someone is sat in a parked car be aware the door could suddenly open so give extra room!" I remembered reading it in the driving instructors handbook. He passed me so it must have been right...

Passed my car test first time at Aspley when I was seventeen... so I thought I should take my motorbike test. Big headed sod that I was I didn't mug up on what to do and at the end of the test the examiner asked me if I had ever read the highway code. Put me in my place. It was 14 years later I tried again and passed.

2 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

The road I took to work was just two lanes, come summer it was almost impossible to pass anyone driving slow due to tourist buses heading west, almost 50 miles.

Sunday evenings, about every three weeks I'd do a preshift at the pit I worked, didn't matter if I left half hour earlier, or delayed my start, there was this car with an eldely couple in it that dawdled along at 50Kph, every curve in the road they braked, by the time I got to work, I had a migraine headache.

I'm sure they had a bug in my house and listened for when I was making my snap up to go to work, then get out for their weekly Sunday evening drive.

I gave up doing preshift, got fed up with the headaches.

One night into work, I had this idiot about 1 Km behind me with his headlights on full, three mirrors blinding me, I got so peed off, I puled over onto the hard shoulder and waited for him to catch up and pass me.

THEN, I gave him full headlights plus a couple of 110W quartz halogen driving lights. They were so bright I lit up the road for a Km. I sat behind him, slowed when he slowed , eventually I thought he got the picture, dipped my lights and passed him, boy did he dip his lights quickly.

That was in Oz.

Were that couple like 'American Gothic ' couple and driving a Model T Ford? 

Back in about 71/2,  I  went on an advanced driving course at Garrets Green, Birmingham. There was a lad taking his HGV test and when the test was over both climbed out the cab. The examiner told the lad he'd  just about passed. The lad replied " Of course, you don't  expect me to drive like this when I  get back, no chance"! The examiner did no more than take the pass certificate off the lad and promptly tore it up, then walked back to his office. The lad was gobsmacked! 

No, two bloody ancient Aussies out for a spin.

1 hour ago, Ayupmeducks said:

No, two bloody ancient Aussies out for a spin.

Sorry to say that most Australians, even now, do not understand the concept of "Keep Left Unless Overtaking" and it pi$$es me off that the police make little or no effort to enforce it. In Australia it is legal to "undertake" a car on a multi-lane road if the speed limit is less than 80kph. Above 80 it is keep left unless overtaking

The main road from the south into Adelaide is a 100kph limit and at time is 4 or 5 lines wide yet you still see cars tootling along at 80 in the far right lane oblivious to what is happening around them and cars travelling in every lane as you can see from this picture.

Image result for southern expressway adelaide

A year or so back, I took the opportunity to get my driving assessed for free under a local scheme aimed at 'Old Gits'.  There wasn't a 'pass' or 'fail' as such.. but the lady driving instructor said I drove very safely etc.  The only thing she picked me up on was not leaving the 'tyres and tarmac', between myself and the driver in front at lights, junctions etc....  It as a new one on me and very different to what I was originally taught.. but I comply now.. and am therefore a perfect driver. ;)

RoSPA and the IAM will do a free assessment for anyone and not just 'old gits'. Using your car they will sit with you whilst you drive on a mix of road types and conditions, rural, urban, dual carriage way etc.

It takes 45 mins to an hour after which they will sit with you,  have a coffee or tea and go over their assessment. As Col says there is no pass or fail and well worth doing.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DJ360 said:

The only thing she picked me up on was not leaving the 'tyres and tarmac', between myself and the driver in front at lights, junctions etc...

As part of my work we had to drive a lot on suburban and country roads and the company sent us on an advanced driving course. That is where I learned that when you pull up behind a car that is stationary in traffic you stopped where you could still see the tyres of the car ahead (the same as DJ's tyre and tarmac) when I asked why I was told that if you did this and were hit from behind in a normal rear end shunt you would be unlikely to be pushed into the car in front and your car would most likely still be driveable.

We had great fun doing swerve and recover on the skid pan and dust bowl as many roads in the less populated areas are not sealed.

One other thing we were taught was the "Dutch?" method of opening your drivers' side door. That is operating the door release with your left hand which almost forces you to look over your right shoulder before opening the door and reduces the risk of an accident with a passing cyclist or other car. I agree with DJ and Brew, you are never too old to learn.

8 hours ago, Brew said:

RoSPA and the IAM will do a free assessment for anyone and not just 'old gits'. Using your car they will sit with you whilst you drive on a mix of road types and conditions, rural, urban, dual carriage way etc.

It takes 45 mins to an hour after which they will sit with you,  have a coffee or tea and go over their assessment. As Col says there is no pass or fail and well worth doing.

Good to know Brew. I'd not heard of that.  The one I did was locally funded and the offer came as a leaflet in the envelope when I received my renewed Old Gits Bus Pass. Obviously specifically aimed at getting older drivers to consider their driving skills and abilities as they age.  I was quite re-assured by the whole process.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

a normal rear end shunt you would be unlikely to be pushed into the car in front

And much more likely is pulling up too close to an inexperienced driver and  they select the wrong gear and jump back, or stall. It gives you time to stop and if necessary room to manoeuvre round them without having to reverse towards the car behind you.

9 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’m tempted to have an assessment but I’m sure it would end in a disagreement! :biggrin:
I have studied ‘Roadcraft’ the police drivers’ manual.

Quite a few do disagree but it's entirely voluntary and  as we have said no pass or fail.   Go on you I dare you, you know you want to...

I studied the New Testament at school  - doesn't make me a believer.

I did have a day’s session at Millbrook, the motor industry proving ground, a few years ago. It was part of the package with the new car I’d bought. They have all sorts of tracks and conditions there and you can push a car to its limits and have a session on a skid pan. The most amazing part was driving round their banked, circular test track at 130 mph. It was more of a demonstration of driving skills rather than road craft though.

Passed my car test on Chalfont Drive when I was 18, passed my PCV driving semi automatic double deckers, again manual PCV driving coaches, passed HGV with the Army. That doesn't make me a good driver though, had a few minor bumps.

I do think that it's 'Roadcraft' v 'Driver Skills' which is at the root of many accidents, especially with young drivers.  I don't know how to do a handbrake turn, and have very little desire to find out.. but ISTM there's a class of young driver for whom that is much more important than looking and anticipating further than the tail lights of the car ahead.

• Like 1
Just now, philmayfield said:

I’m not bragging but I’ve never had any points on my licence since passing my test. I have had two speeding cautions but I used my charm and apologised profusely!

Well done.. though It's difficult to charm a camera.... :)

8 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I do think that it's 'Roadcraft' v 'Driver Skills' which is at the root of many accidents, especially with young drivers. 

There's definitely a class of younger driver who think it's ok to crawl along at low speed in slow-moving traffic whilst fiddling with their phone. They're the ones who don't start moving when the lights go green.

• Like 1

If you've ever driven in Italy  you'll notice the difference when driving on a single lane road. They itch to overtake and ride so close to your exhaust, then pull out sharply and away they go. If this happens to me , I slow down first to see if that stops them. When it doesnt I lightly tap the foot brake, that usualy does the trick. I know its dangerous but driving so close is even more dangerous. Having to travel to Turin frequently in the last few weeks, I took more notice of the way people were driving. Some carefully and others risking their lives. From here to Turin it takes 40 minutes if the roads are clear, if not, approaching Turin the traffic starts to build up and up and it can take ages to get into the centre. Ive had to leave home at least 2 hours before appointments. People who do this every day must be so frustrated by the end of the week. 

I quite like driving here but if I go somewhere I'm not familiar with, I start to get a bit edgy.

I've got to train my truck to make and receive phone calls, my wife told me her Brother has his trained, totally hands free phone calls, press the phone icon on the steering wheel and instruct the vehicle who to call, but in saying that, you need Wifi and Bluetooth on both phone and cars stereo system.