How's your day?

Not really much choice about going in the car Margie. It was a minor emergency with my implant and appt made just before I left in the car. I could have gone by train and bus but no time to plan. Even by train and bus it would have needed a car or taxi to the station. Some Nottingham people don't realise how lucky they are to have such an excellent public transport system.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, katyjay said:

It's Turkey Day! Or should I say Thanksgiving Day. Only us 2 and another couple, kids are doing other things, so didn't get the usual whopping great bird this time.  Turkeys are still the cheapest meat around, I paid 68c lb, frozen. 33 yrs ago, buying our first turkey over here,  we paid 25c lb, so hasn't really gone up that much over time.

Had plenty of Turkey days in my time. Wish I  could get things right just once.

1 hour ago, katyjay said:

It's Turkey Day! Or should I say Thanksgiving Day. Only us 2 and another couple, kids are doing other things, so didn't get the usual whopping great bird this time.  Turkeys are still the cheapest meat around, I paid 68c lb, frozen. 33 yrs ago, buying our first turkey over here,  we paid 25c lb, so hasn't really gone up that much over time.

I really hope you enjoy the day Katy.

Personally.. I've never been a fan of Turkey.  If it's poultry I much prefer chicken, but I'd put beef with roasties and sprouts way above.  Yum  :)

I often wonder why we don’t eat roast beef for Christmas dinner. Fortunately we’ve not bought a whole turkey in years, just a breast and just enough for one meal. A whole turkey can go on for a week before it’s disappeared and eaten in many guises from cold to curried. For me Christmas is a pain in the backside but then I’m a miserable old git!:biggrin:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Margie, if you didn't  have a car just think of all those meet ups you would miss? No galloping around Fenland either.

You might be right BK, but lots of people still use their car to go into Ely  even when there's a good bus service every hour from here.   I think it's because parking is free.  I know when you go to the supermarket to do a big shop, then a car is essential but not just to have a coffee and wander round buying a few items!

I don't know full details of the transport situation in Nottingham but there seem to be plenty of buses.  

'Gallopimg round fenland'. ... that would be brilliant as long as I could afford someone to saddle up a horse for me and give me a leg up!   I often think that old cities like Ely and Cambridge which were built in the horse and trap era suffer greatly because of modern day traffic.   

33 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

For me Christmas is a pain in the backside but then I’m a miserable old git!:biggrin:

Same here. I make a point of having spaghetti on toast, topped with cheese. I don't eat meat, haven't done so for 40 years.

All I'm interested in is seeing the snowdrops and daffodils springing up along with the return of the daylight. The winter solstice is my celebration day. It gets lighter from then onwards.

• Like 2

We don't  bother with Christmas either Jill. That's  why we come up at the begining of Dec., to meet up with 'er iindoors family and exchange gifts. Then we keep a low profile on the day. Losing our youngest boy at Christmas sort of took the edge off. We feel it then, having no grand kids,  but I've  mentioned this afore.

Margie, when we come up to Wroxham, we never use the car but catch the bus to Norwich, it's  easier. Still got my rubber brick, but promise not to lob it through your window.;)

• Upvote 1

I had spaghetti on toast for my lunch (only with a fried egg). My toaster had a lot of attitude today, it shot the toast out at high speed, one slice I managed to catch the other ended up bouncing off the worktop onto the floor. It has never done it before, gave it a glare and a severe talking to. Hopefully it will have calmed down tomorrow.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Brew said:

HSR never having been in a bookies I have no idea what that's all about !

I like a little gamble, never bet more than £10. However I’ve not been inside a ‘turf accountants’ for years, I place my little bets online in the comfort of an armchair, in front of the racing channel.  A bit of fun, some I win and some I lose.  My grandmother liked to bet on the horses, she was always getting someone to nip out to the bookies to put a tanner on a horse!  

7 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Why could the parking company not put a FULL sign outside? 

I had to go to pick up my husband from Nottingham Midland Station the other afternoon and there was a barrier across the entrance stating the Car Park was full.  There were a couple of other cars sitting around the turning circle area outside the entrance but I couldn’t just do that as I had to get down onto the platform to meet him with his ‘old geezers pass’ to show the ticket collector, as he’d forgotten to carry it with him and the ‘jobsworth’ insisted on seeing it or pay £60.  The fellow on the train going to London in the morning never asked to see it though.  Anyhow, I couldn’t think of anywhere else to park so I zig-zagged around the barrier, got a ticket and found a space within seconds.  Others followed suit ......  I felt really pleased with myself.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Brew said:

... never having been in a bookies I have no idea what that's all about !

Me neither. And never been remotely interested in wanting to.

I have also never bought a lottery ticket so wouldn't know what to do there either.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Brew said:

I bet you don't treat the million plus prize as a donation to charity...   ;)

Our decorator has just been treated to 10 days in Florida by a Euromillions winner.  The local mega-multi-millionaire paid for 26 adults and kids (all family members), flights, rental cars, massive 10 bed villa, meals, VIP passes to all the Orlando attractions. They didn’t pay for a single item.  Nice eh?!!   

• Like 1

I just saw where someone in Az who won 14.6 million dollars on June 5, still hasn't claimed their prize. It runs put Dec 2.  Makes you wonder if they either never checked, or lost it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Beekay said:

Margie, when we come up to Wroxham, we never use the car but catch the bus to Norwich, it's  easier. Still got my rubber brick, but promise not to lob it through your window.;)

Don't bother with the brick... I've written the date in my diary so we may find our way to Wroxham to visit you!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Personally.. I've never been a fan of Turkey.  If it's poultry I much prefer chicken, but I'd put beef with roasties and sprouts way above.  Yum  :)

DJ you and I are rarely in agreement but in the case of roast beef.... I make an exception.

• Like 1

Gem.. we all have more to unite us than divide us.  :)

• Like 2

Had another issue with my posh watch today...

I don't recall if I posted this before so:

On 31st Oct I took my Rado Ceramica into Goldsmiths in Liverpool to get a new battery fitted. They don't do them in house but send them away and they are supposedly fitted with a new battery, checked over.. new seals, pressure test and an ultrasonic clean of the case and strap.

So.. personable young chap handled the deal.. told me my Rado was a 'beautiful ' watch etc. We had a pleasant chat. I mentioned the very finest of marks visible on the strap, where it can contact surfaces like table tops etc... definitely only visible in a certain light and there were NO scratches or other damage whatever to the watch. Otherwise, the watch is immaculate and only ever worn for 'best'.

Anyway.. the lad was taking his time and I mentioned I was meeting friends.. so signed the receipt for the watch and left, with in fact a total of three receipts.

Was only a couple of days later when I looked closely and found that the lad had completed the receipt small print to read:

'Scratches on Glass? 'YES'
'Condition of watch? 'WORN'
'Scratches on Bracelet? 'YES'
'Scratches on Bezel? 'YES'

I went ballistic and called the shop immediately. Spoke to the manager and pointed out to him that it was completely out of order for this lad to make such judgements and such comments without any negotiation with me and without even pointing out to me that he had done so. Manager agreed. I told him that if there was any additional damage whatever to my prized watch on return, I would be demanding recompense.

I think I made myself understood.

And yes.. OK.. I should have fully read the receipt before signing it... but there's still an issue of trust here.

I should also state that after handing over my watch, I was told it would take 3-4 weeks for the battery to be replaced.  I was not happy with this.. but decided to 'live with it'.

I will report the outcome.

So.. fast forward to today.  It being 4 weeks since I left my watch with Goldsmiths in Liverpool.

I called today and was told they quote 4-6 weeks. I assured them that I had been told 3-4 weeks and was not happy. Chap agreed to chase it up and call me back. After a while he called back and told me that the repair centre was awaiting new seals 'on back order' and expecting them by early next week. He did admit that he wasn't happy that the repair centre hadn't communicated this fact. I agreed that neither was I and told him I now regret even entrusting my watch to Goldsmiths. He agreed to call me as soon as the watch is returned.

We shall see what transpires.. but so far this whole business has been a farce.

I will not be using Goldsmith's again.  So far, I've only reported this here and on one other site.  If Goldsmiths don't sort this out pretty soon,, it will be all over Facebook. 

I am seriously p****d off.