How's your day?

Sorry to hear of the runaround with your watch, Col.

Sadly I think your are another victim of the times.  Play fast and loose with the truth.  Make promises you know you can't meet, re delivery times etc.  Make excuses and if all else fails pass the buck.  After all that probably try to charge more than the original estimate.

Don't lerrem gerraway weit.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

If turkey was that good we’d eat it a lot more often.

As kids we never had turkey for Christmas lunch/dinner it was always a large chicken or cockerel that was bought "fresh" from the butchers. It had to be plucked, the giblets taken out and dressed, whatever that was and of course stuffed with the obligatory Paxo sage and onion stuffing.

Only really started to eat turkey when we came to OZ. 

7 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Ours just throws it high enough for a Beagle to catch on the way down. 

When we had our German Shepherd and had a BBQ he used to come outside and sit next to me in the hope that a sausage would fall off the hotplate. When one did it would never reach the floor and he would then go around all day licking his chops because the hot sausage had burnt his mouth. Never stopped him though, the next BBQ he'd be right alongside you hoping for another suicidal sausage.

• Like 3

I think I've recounted before how we had chicken back in the 50s..

I think it was my Dad who got a 'boiling fowl' from somewhere.  Still not exactly sure what a 'boiling fowl' is....

Mum cleaned out the 'copper' ( clothes washing boiler) in the kitchen, and the unfortunate corpse was boiled in it.

It came out tender and somehow Mum contrived to make a decent gravy to go with it and her roasties.. sprouts etc...

All I can recall of that particular Christmas...

Perhaps as well...

That's just raised a bizarre memory from my childhood.  I recall some TV show on which a female 'strong person', wearing the sort of costume typical for magician's assistants, high wire artistes etc., tore a telephone directory in half.

I recall snippets of the conversation which ensued and I think it was my Dad who claimed that the books were prepared in advance by baking them so they became very dry and brittle.. or something.  Funny what sticks in your head.  Well mine anyway...  :blink:

@DJ360  a boiling fowl is an older bird - not tender enough to be roasted.  Funnily enough, for dinner today, we are going to have chicken casserole, which I suppose is the equivalent of the meal you mentioned.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

tore a telephone directory in half.

I won a pound from my dad by tearing a phone book in half. He tried, he huffed and puffed before throwing it down and declaring it impossible.

Smart arse here took the book opened it halfway and tore it down the spine, voila two halves!   :jumping:

• Upvote 1

We used to keep chickens in a pen in the back garden in the 40’s and 50’s. At Christmas we had to kill one for dinner which consisted of selecting the plumpest one and breaking its neck over a broom handle. It ran around the yard for a bit until it expired followed by the fascinating job of dressing and plucking it. The last time I ever plucked anything was a mallard which a friend had shot. I did the job on the greenhouse bench and seemed to end up with more feathers than when I started. Oven read is the way to go!

45 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

That's right Margie, they make excellent broth . I learnt that from my mother in law.

I always use what's left of a chicken casserole.  I add a bit more water and have it as soup the next day!

• Like 1

A good way to remvoe the feathers from a bird is to dip it in boiling water for two or three minutes, then dip in cold water. The feathers will come off easily - with the bonus that, being wet, they don't scatter all over the place.

Iv'e mentioned before ,i have no hobbies and i'm not the least bit interested in any DIY work,,,consequently i do suffer from boredom,,,wife has had her new car delivered today and i'm mildly interested,,no  doubt i'll drive it it does look nice,,,but she started showing me all the gadgets it has,,,like a bleddy spaceship,,,so not that keen,,last New car i had was a company car years ago,,, so ive been spoilt  ,,without spending loads of money

..............So things like,Cooking,, Cars,,along with Decorating,,Joinery,,etc in fact mending owt have never interested me,,,did'nt realise until the other day i don't even have a screw driver or even an Hammer since moving a few months ago,,

Anyway today iv'e been moving furniture,,,one thing i do enjoy is interior designing,,,must be a carry-over from Window dressing in my Marsdens days or wearing a Liberty Bodice in my school days,,,;)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ben do yourself a favour and don't even try and understand modern cars, I was ok with them but not now. I have just changed my car again 2nd time this year, the last one was bad enough but this , it seems a regular job now to ask my son to come and put right my dash panel. Too many switches stalks and menus . All I want to do is drive it and not have a light show inside and a robotic voice rebuke me for not doing things right, I get enough of that at home.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Brew said:

I won a pound from my dad by tearing a phone book in half. He tried, he huffed and puffed before throwing it down and declaring it impossible.

Smart arse here took the book opened it halfway and tore it down the spine, voila two halves!   :jumping:

Sneaky underhand trick and totally beneath you!!  ;)

I'm shocked...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Iv'e mentioned before ,i have no hobbies and i'm not the least bit interested in any DIY work,,,consequently i do suffer from boredom,,,wife has had her new car delivered today and i'm mildly interested,,no  doubt i'll drive it it does look nice,,,but she started showing me all the gadgets it has,,,like a bleddy spaceship,,,so not that keen,,last New car i had was a company car years ago,,, so ive been spoilt  ,,without spending loads of money

..............So things like,Cooking,, Cars,,along with Decorating,,Joinery,,etc in fact mending owt have never interested me,,,did'nt realise until the other day i don't even have a screw driver or even an Hammer since moving a few months ago,,

Anyway today iv'e been moving furniture,,,one thing i do enjoy is interior designing,,,must be a carry-over from Window dressing in my Marsdens days or wearing a Liberty Bodice in my school days,,,;)

But Ben.. if you haven't got a screwdriver.. you at least need a hammer... or otherwise what are you going to use to hammer screws in?  :wacko:

• Like 1

P.S.  The thing with modern cars is that electronics are cheap. It's easy for manufacturers to put what amounts to a 'tablet' in your dash, and throw in a bit of bluetooth connectivity, link it to your phone, chuck a bit of radio in , give you SatNav etc.  You'd probably be better off with a more reliable engine and more durable bodywork... But they cost more..

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Sneaky underhand trick and totally beneath you!!

Dad thought the same... he never paid up!

• Like 1
On 11/29/2019 at 8:29 AM, philmayfield said:

There's a care home not far away down by the river. It's full of old farts though. Not sure I'd fit in.:biggrin:

We sometimes used to go there when it was a pub. I think it was the Star and Garter at one point and some other name that eludes me.  I had a friend with a little speedboat who used to waterski from there. 

8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

P.S.  The thing with modern cars is that electronics are cheap. It's easy for manufacturers to put what amounts to a 'tablet' in your dash, and throw in a bit of bluetooth connectivity, link it to your phone, chuck a bit of radio in , give you SatNav etc.  You'd probably be better off with a more reliable engine and more durable bodywork... But they cost more..

I don’t think it’s all bad. I remember years ago cars would rot, and I do mean rot, sometimes within a few years grow holes. Certain manufacturers  had a poor reputation for this. Also you rarely never see a modern (I mean the last 20+ years here) with a sign in the back window, running in please pass. It was a weekend hobby to patch up rusty wings or repair some part falling apart. Cars now have wing liners and better anti rust measures and are generally quite reliable. My last 3 cars, all VW’s have all done over a 100k without missing a beat. Just serviced every 10k.  I think the only issue was a electric window motor failed in one but other no mechanical problems at all. Engineering cnc machining means better tolerances and oils have improved. Fuel injection and engine management has improved economy. My current car, a low mileage 2016 petrol small VW does between 60-75 mpg depending on type of roads and weight of my boots. 

• Like 2

Yes I think that's all true. Even FIATS, and Vauxhalls which had a very bad rep for rust are pretty good these days.  And all the electronics used in engine management are mostly a blessing.. until they go wrong.....

I suppose what I was trying to say is that it's too easy for manufacturers to put in things which are really not much more than gimmicks.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, letsavagoo said:

We sometimes used to go there when it was a pub. I think it was the Star and Garter at one point and some other name that eludes me.  I had a friend with a little speedboat who used to waterski from there. 

It was indeed. The name never changed in all my 57 years in the area. Many a happy hour spent down there. Terry Wanless was the landlord. I think his wife is still alive and living in an old folks bungalow in Thurgarton.

• Upvote 1