How's your day?

6 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'm a supporter of smart phones,

So am I, or was. I thought 'what a great idea' and bought a Samsung S6 (a refurb because I'm a tight sod). Sadly I can think of no other use for it than calls and text with an odd photo. Tried accessing the 'Net when I first got it but it's such a palaver I gave up.

My old Nokia C20 does all that in a much smaller package. Anything else can wait

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Things like...........Who won the FA Cup in 1935....Who was Prime Minister in 1952....what year was Delilah the No1 single....Who were the presenters of How?...

I can honestly say I have never discussed any of those questions with anybody in or out of a pub!   

Sheffield Wednesday

Winston Churchill

It never was?

Fred Dinenage, Bunty Jones,  Jon Miller,  Jack Hargreaves

Only knew one of the answers without  googling!

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Only knew one of the answers

Me too... didn't bother looking for the other answers...

How!  Watched it religiously as a child. Was it Jon Miller who sustained several injuries as a result of explosions in his shed at home whilst experimenting with various chemicals. Never be allowed now. He'd be seen as a bad role model for children Elf & Safety- wise. Jack Hargreaves smoked his pipe throughout the programme! Tut, tut. Couldn't do that now, either!

Talking "hands free" is no more distracting than talking to a passenger in the car.

On that subject, how come in movies, the driver looks at the driver while talking and never hits another car?? I take my eye's off the road for a couple of seconds and I'm on the hard shoulder or cross the double yellow lines!!!!  LOL

I'd hazard a guess the next most distracting thing while driving, after texting, is women with their brood in the back seat. The only accident I've been involved in was via a woman driver with a van load of kids. She rear ended me, I was waiting to turn right, loads of traffic, not only did she run into the back of me, but another idiot ran into the back of her. I had to laugh at him though, he'd just had the front of his car rebuilt and now it was an insurance write off. He was in tears.

Neither of them were happy with the police report, they were both cited for negligent driving and given a court date.

A variation on the subject of phones in a car.

People who stop their car when their phone rings - and just stop immediately at the side of the road, causing hold-ups and tailbacks. They'd argue that at least they aren't driving and phoning - which is true - but they still can't ignore the thing completely. They just stop instantly wherever they are and force everyone to manoeuvre around them.

Truckers over here use the head sets, the rules forbid them to have a phone in their hand while the vehicle is in motion. If they get caught breaking that rule, their CDL is pulled for life.  (CDL=Commercial Drivers License).

Most big rigs don't have bluetooth or Wifi, but I'd estimate it won't be long before that's a standard in newer tractors. Lots do have satellite connections to the company's dispatchers, all hands free.

As for SatNav, again once set up, you don't have to look at the screen, just listen to the dialogue. I have no choice on that one, I can't find a place to stick mine, on the dash would interfere with my view of the right side of the road, as would mounting it below my rear view mirror, there's no flat surface on the dash fascia, so it sits in the storage shelf over the transmission.

48 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

I'd hazard a guess the next most distracting thing while driving, after texting, is women with their brood in the back seat.

I don't know, but my work mate and I were on our way to training course when we came to a stop due to the traffic. The next instant, our vectra was turned into a corsa by some stupid female that hadn't noticed that we had stopped. Dave and myself had a severe whiplash injury, she had what we thought was lots of blood on her face, it was infact, lipstick!!!

I've seen many young women doing their eyelashes at traffic lights, what I see is a young woman with one eye should she get rear ended.

It comes down to what 'they' consider an acceptable risk. Banning hands free phones is mooted because having a conversation whilst driving means you cannot give 100% concentration to the road. Taking this argument to it's logical conclusion, talking to passengers, listening to the radio, smoking are all distractions and should be banned. 

That's where it all gets a bit silly. If the driver talking to a passenger is banned will they ban passengers talking to the driver? Will the charge be 'Driving whilst moving ones  lips'? Listening to the radio and tapping the wheel in time to music.. If it means making more money from the motorist they will find a way I'm sure

I'm no longer amazed to see people who seem incapable of talking to their passenger without looking at them.

My last car had bluetooth which sort of worked.

My present car is older but better.  It doesn't have bluetooth.  But, I have a device which clips to the sunvisor.  If I get in the car for a long journey I can switch on Bluetooth on my phone. and it will 'pair' with the device.  then, any incoming call can be answered by pressing a button on the device and I then chat hands free.

If I use Satnav on my phone, I set it up for the journey before starting, and I then use the sat nav as 'audio only'.  It sits on the passenger seat and tells me what to do.  Having been married for 47 years.. it's a system I'm familiar with... :)

I have wi-fi on most of the time on my phone, so that my 'net based' comms are a via by broadband and router and means I don't need a big data allowance.

Access to Google, to this site and others are straightforward from my smartphone, but I much prefer to use a PC as I like to type more than a 'Tweet'  Some may have noticed... :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I much prefer to use a PC as I like to type more than a 'Tweet'  Some may have noticed... :rolleyes:

Really?? wow the things you learn on Nottstalgia is amazing...:P

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Waddo said:

And what about the police themselves talking on the radios? Or are they above the law?

They're excluded from that particular law.

BUT should their use of the phone/ radio have been found to be a contributing factor to an incident involving them then they could be prosecuted just the same as anyone else.

Just the same as running through Red traffic lights.

Interesting day yesterday.  

First.. a parcel ordered through Amazon failed to land so I contacted the supplier who immediately refunded me, but did not offer to re-send the item.  This makes me wonder...... Since there was no real tracking.. maybe they use cheap postage and see this as cheap enough to cover their losses?

Maybe they never posted it in the first place and just hope many forget they've ordered and payed for stuff?  All a bit odd. I ended up re-ordering it from a better known company.  Same price.

Second.. After an exchange of numerous emails.. I finally seem to have resolved my issues with Flickr and may soon be able to post pics again. ...

However... as I got on the PC to complete my transaction with Flickr.. the monitor.. which had been functioning perfectly..while Mrs Col played Mahjonng for hours suddenly went crazy. It's a HP 24 inch monitor slightly over  2 years old. I'll try again tomorrow but I suspect it's finished...  Such stuff is rarely economically repairable.

I had to install an old.. 19" Samsung monitor which works.. but is naff and seems tiny.  Amazing what you get used to...

Anyway.. Bahh...

I'll leave the Humbug till later....

I have recently repaired an 'dead' 24" monitor for a friend. A new replacement  monitor £110, parts to repair £27 The downside, the part (cfl driver board), had to come from China, the strange bit is the label on it - Made in Korea...

• Like 1

Too bl**dy hot.  Today was 42.7 and a forecast of 44-45 on Friday with a catastrophic fire risk.

Luckily we have not had any serious fires near us but the fires impacting NSW now cover an area the size of Wales!!

Looking forward the forecast for Christmas day is a sunny 30 deg. just right!

Want to swap for a bit of thick fog, frost, ice, damp, miserable dark UK weather, Oz?

This time of year really gets to me. My thyroid has gone haywire...always does around this time. Today, I could cheerfully commit murder, for no reason.  Thank heaven for Aussie wine!! :mellow:

• Like 1

Been Doctors this morning,,needed to speak about different ,,medications,,Young chap not seen before,,felt it was a waste of time...Could tell he wasn't listening to me,,,so to prove it to myself he wasn't i went into a silly speel about my non-existant boxing career,,,he was typing away on his lap-top whilst i was trying to tell him why i was there,,,my speel went something like this.........'''i'm thinking of packing the ''Boxing' in'' without looking at me he said ''yes''  i continued ''after 3 rounds i feel really tired''' ''yes,he said again'''  '''it means giving my over 70s title up,,but ive made my mind up'''  another 'yes'he uttered,,,

Suffice to say,,,i won't be seeing him again................:angry:

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2