• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

It is way too hot here 45 deg and the wind is blowing a "gutsa" with trees down everywhere.

4 days with temps over 40 and a minimum of 30 overnight last night. Relief is in sight as we are expecting a cool change this evening

Major and dangerous fires to the north east of the city.

In NSW Sydney is ringed by fire and their worst fire weather day is yet to come with soaring temperatures and wind due on Saturday.

Unfortunately two volunteer firefighters were killed last night whilst fighting fires to the south west of Sydney. Our thoughts go out to their family, the rest of the truck crew that were injured and all volunteer firefighters across our wide brown land who put their lives at risk to keep us safe.

• Like 1

It's looking grim from here Oz and I hope things improve soon.  I do wonder whether  bit of 'controlled' burning, or felling, might make sense in populated areas.  I was listening to your PM talking last night.  He seems to think it's all pretty normal and nothing to do with climate change.  :Fool:

8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I was listening to your PM talking last night.  He seems to think it's all pretty normal and nothing to do with climate change. 

Fires are a normal part of the Australian landscape. Many were started last night by dry lightning as the change came through. However there is no doubt that weather events are becoming more abnormal with regard to drought and heat.

Politicians the world over have a habit of denying anything which does not fit with their political mantra. He has been vilified in the media for going on holiday to Hawaii during the current bushfire emergency that grips much of Australia at the moment.

Today, we took the 2 youngest grandchildren along with 5 of their little cousins  to a place called Church Farm, Stow Bardolph.   It was really good as the 'Nativity Barn'  had donkeys, goats, rabbits and 11 tiny piglets with their mother, a huge sow.  The centrepiece was a simple manger complete with a 'baby Jesus' in it.   The kids loved it as the animals (apart from the pig family) could all be stroked.  Leading off from this, but still undercover, was a bark pathway which wound its way through greenery and fairy lights to .....Father Christmas!   He was SO good with the children  and spoke to them individually even though we went in as a family group.   When asked what they hoped to get for Christmas, our 10 year old said "A surprise" and the 8 year old said "Pokemon cards".   Father Christmas said he liked surprises and Pokemon cards as well, and said he hoped they would  all be good, kind children in the days leading up to Christmas.   

He had a lovely gravelly voice and said "goodbye princess" to me as we left.   I felt like I was a kid again and almost believed he was real!

• Like 6

My Grandkids had a difficult day today.  Both left their Primary School in Manchester for the last time, as they are moving to one closer to their new home in Worsley.  They are Year 1 and Year 4.  The school was lovely and didn't want either to leave as they are such good kids, but there was no way around it as it's mostly my Daughter, their Mum, who takes them to and from.. and since she can't drive due to being officially blind, it's just too difficult.  Here's hoping they settle in OK in their new school.

I'm blessed to have two brilliant daughters who have both just moved into new homes and are eager to 'host' Christmas.. so it'll be Christmas Day with No.1 Daughter, and Boxing Day with No.2 Daughter. 

• Like 5
On 12/18/2019 at 6:50 PM, loppylugs said:

Beats politics.  :biggrin:

Edit....Referring to the tech thread idea, not which end the camera goes.  :Shock:

Loppy..  I could make so much Politics out of that post..... :laugh:.. but even I have my limits...

For what it's worth... only a couple of weeks ago I had a 'virtual' Colonoscopy.  That means I didn't have to 'accommodate' a camera.. but still had to suffer the indignity of having my bowel 'inflated'.  The possibilities for humour are limitless...

Ohh.. last evening was fun..  Both Mrs Col and I decided that we couldn't be bothered with cooking anything much for our evening meal.  She told me she'd be happy with canned soup, and would wait till I was 'sorted'.

I went for Beans on Toast.. so while she messed with Christmas Decorations etc..and wanting to see a particular TV prog.. I sprang into action.  Doing a passable imitation of Jamie Oliver.. I 'slammed' a couple of slices of Tesco 'Oat and Barley' into the toaster.. then emptied a can of Heinz Beanz into a 'microwaveable container'

But.. as I lifted the beans out of the Eye Level Neff Microwave oven... they leaped out of my hand and hurled themselves into every corner of the kitchen..... 'Dash it all!!!..' I exclaimed...

I spent ten minutes cleaning up the spilt beans.. by which time my toast was cold and dried out.

I started again... with more beans.. more toast.. and less haste.

It felt almost like there was a moral in there somewhere....

• Like 2
6 hours ago, trogg said:

Are you sure they are the words you used.

I may have also said 'Oh.. Flip!!' :blush:

• Like 1

Just watched this fly overhead on its way from Hamburg to Chester, carrying wings for Airbus. It's seen over here regularly.

29735_1572463965.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

That's torn it! Went out this morning and shook hands on a deal to buy a red K6 telephone kiosk! They weigh 750Kg so I now have to organise someone to deliver it.

2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Who ya gonna call?   :biggrin:

Good point, LL. I rarely call anyone and no-one calls me. 

• Like 1

re that plane.... our 19Year old grandson is doing an engineering degree at Uni and has a placement, starting in September  at the Airbus plant?/factory? near Chester...

• Upvote 1

Yep.  That's where it flies to Margie. It's called Chester Hawarden Airport.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1770194,-2.9678442,4646m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Like 1