• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Merry christmas to one and all and in the words of the late Dave Allen: "May your God go with you."

• Like 3

It occured to me that Nottstaligans may not be aware who the people on my greeting are, so:

John - me

Thierry - my carer/valet

Madame (Rosie) - concierge/housekeeper

Philippe - caretaker/gardener/handyman married to Madame

Growler - my dog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Jolly decent of you to give them the time off! ;)

Don't you know about the European directive about statuary holidays,Jill?:rolleyes:smile2

Better check your garage Phil, they've probably took one of your cars, sold it over there and retired on the proceeds !!

48 minutes ago, Waddo said:

the European directive about statuary holidays,Jill?:rolleyes:

You mean, under EU law, statues are entitled to holidays, too? Ludicrous! How did we ever get involved with such people?

Just checked my garden gnome....he's still there! :blink:

• Like 1

The social structure here is very different to that on your side of the channel - even more so here in Provence and the Mediterranean areas.

It is not at all unusual to have domestic staff but things are changing and I fear that soon there will be a number of unemployed people unwilling to take on domestic duties.

When I first moved into this property, twenty or so years ago, there were people (figuratively) almost clamouring at the door to be given a job. Nowadays notices requesting domestic staff go unanswered for weeks on end.

Philippe and Rosie are both in their sixties consider their current situation as completely permanent. I am concerned that I won't be able to get any replacements when the inevitable happens. There is, of course, a reasonable chance that they will outlive me!

Considering EU Statutes, the French have a big tendency to ignore them.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jonab said:

It occured to me that Nottstaligans may not be aware who the people on my greeting are, so:

John - me

Thierry - my carer/valet

Madame (Rosie) - concierge/housekeeper

Philippe - caretaker/gardener/handyman married to Madame

Growler - my dog

Happy Christmas, your Highness.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go that far, Beekay.

I am now physically disabled and do need a full time carer. Also, I live in a large, rather rambling, old Provence villa which takes quite a bit of looking after.

Any money I might have was earned by me. No inheritances, lottery wins or dubious practices - unlike some of the inhabitants of the area:)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lunch over at my daughters. Everything perfect. We sat down 1pm and left at 5. 30pm. The restaurant was full mostly large groups. Compliments flying so we were very proud of her. She'd worked very hard this week so now she deserves a rest. Took pics of almost every course so will post tomorrow. 

Hope everyone is happy and are now having a snooze.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jonab said:

I wouldn't go that far, Beekay.

I am now physically disabled and do need a full time carer. Also, I live in a large, rather rambling, old Provence villa which takes quite a bit of looking after.

Any money I might have was earned by me. No inheritances, lottery wins or dubious practices - unlike some of the inhabitants of the area:)

If ever you're short of an old retainer or chauffeur,  I'm  your man.

As I've  gorra minute, Happy New Year !

It was a lovely day.  Really good to spend it with my delightful Grandkids, No.1 Daughter, Son in Law and his Mum.  Daughter put on a really nice spread and even the Turkey was probably the best I've ever tasted.  Just a 'Turkey Joint'.. but  'this was not just a Turkey Joint..... it was an M&S Turkey Joint'..  :)   No faff. just roast and carve.

Off to No.2 daughter's shortly for a much more low key afternoon.  Just prezzies, company, nibbles and a few drinks.

• Like 1

Lovely day for us, too.  Been round to one of our son's for the afternoon and evening.  All of daughter in law's extended family were there, all of whom are our friends, too anyway..... There were 13 adults,  3 older teenagers, 5 children and 2 babies.  We'd each taken different kinds of food and there was what I can only describe as a rolling buffet for a late lunch, tea and snacking inbetween!,  

All the children were good and amazingly there were no squabbles....   We talked, ate and played games, and I feel very tired and much too full!   Off to bed now, I reckon, before I fall asleep in the chair!