How's your day?

I took a much needed walk up 'the' hill yesterday.  It was a bit like Oxford Street in the Sales.. hundreds of people, individuals, small family groups etc... all heading for the top... with mostly at least one dog towing them up, or being dragged reluctantly along. All of the paths are churned up and muddy.  I exchanged nods, grunts and 'eyups', with quite a few folk.. but not all seemed to grasp the 'etiquette' of a friendly nod to passing strangers.

I had a bit of a chat with a bloke at the top.. but was soon heading down.  Far too busy up there at this time of year.  I don't blame people at all for getting out and blowing a few cobwebs off after too many mince pies etc.. but I much prefer the hill when it reverts to being mostly a refuge for the few locals who have the time, inclination and ability to climb it... especially midweek.  Sometimes I can get from the bottom to the top without encountering a soul.

I guess the 'Grumpy Old Git' socks my daughter bought me a few years back.. are finally correct.. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Do you remember the tap dancing Roly Polys?    I was talking with a relatively new lady after church this morning and she told us that her mum was the very chubby small lady who often came on to dance at the end of their performance!  The conversation started when we were discussing who could do 'the splits'.   We do talk about lots of different subjects.... slywink

• Like 2

@LizzieM  she is not small in height but she is quite sturdy/'well covered' as they say.  She says she never had dancing lessons herself as she had fibromyalgia from a young age (and still has)

I did the splits once.. as I stepped onto a wet kitchen floor from outside..  Fortunately my nether regions broke my fall.... or just broke....:blink:

Always believed IVY  at Marsdens Bulwell 1962 ish became a Roly Poly,,,but just looked em up and no mention of an IVY,,,,,For some reason i was sure she became one,,,,she was short,,chubby and always singing whilst man handling the Tub butter........plus always turned me down for a date,,,i'd have woo'''''d her down the Bogs....................

I would have even took her in the ''Penguin'' with a pocket full of ''Threppeny bits'' for the ''Juke box''':rolleyes:

• Like 1

You are just a young Whippersnapper trogg.............in 62 ish............you could get some great music on 'Penguin's' juke box,for only 3d,,,The young ones   our Cliff,,,Loca-motion  little Eva''....'''Cant help falling in love'' Elvis,,,Lets Dance...Chris Montez....''Teenage idol''  Ricky Nelson,,,

and often  your last 3d..was spent on........Fanlight Fanny.......by Clinton Ford...........lol

• Like 3

Maybe, but like i said, you could understand the lyrics, and in the "olden days" most of the songs had a story behind them !!. What you get now is, thumpety thump screech and yell with a bit of nonsense thrown in.

• Like 2

I've heard youngsters saying the same thing about what they call "music" these days.

When you see concerts like the 50 year anniversary of the Beach Boys concert, Fleetwood Mack and the BeeGees "One Night Only" concert, look at the age of the audiences!! Most weren't born when those groups were at their peak!

• Like 1

@Waddo What about Max Bygraves singing 'There's a tiny house, by a tiny stream?......  that has got an unintelligible chorus but maybe that wasn't in your childhood memory - it was in the 1950s!

Also Don Lang singing 'I told the witchdoctor I was in love with you'  That had a bit of gobbledegook in it as well....

Sadly  I still know most of the words to these 2 songs!   

• Like 1

Was this the first "Rap record" ??? 

• Like 3

So do I Margie, so do I :biggrin:

The house was in Gilli Gillii  ossenphefer catsenallanbogan by the sea.

and the witchdoctor  said,   "Ohh Eeee  ooowooo argh argh,  bing bang walla wallah bing bang"   repeat

Conclusion....  Oooh wang walla walla bing bang!

Spelling and pronunciation mostly optional.

Nah whats gobbledegook abaht that? 

Makes more sense than a lot of politicians these days.   :biggrin:

• Like 4
On 12/29/2019 at 5:58 PM, MargieH said:

Do you remember the tap dancing Roly Polys?    I was talking with a relatively new lady after church this morning and she told us that her mum was the very chubby small lady who often came on to dance at the end of their performance!  The conversation started when we were discussing who could do 'the splits'.   We do talk about lots of different subjects.... slywink

Many years ago we went to St.eulalia, Ibiza, our holiday rep was a tallish slim blonde who told us the same about her mother. During our stay we later saw her in a rep's show or maybe it was a karaoke where she performed a brilliant rendition of 'Perfect' I wonder if it is the same lady?

• Upvote 1

Margie, i didn't say that all the songs had a story,but you could understand the lyrics, maybe not 'Fleetwood Mac 's "Albatross" . Thanks for the compliment, but I did remember the Max Bygrave song (i entered planet earth in 54).

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, davep5491 said:

Many years ago we went to St.eulalia, Ibiza, our holiday rep was a tallish slim blonde who told us the same about her mother. During our stay we later saw her in a rep's show or maybe it was a karaoke where she performed a brilliant rendition of 'Perfect' I wonder if it is the same lady?

I'll ask her.  She does have a very good singing voice and she is blonde.   She isn't slim but there again,  age often thickens the waistline!   I heard her telling someone that she had worked in other countries - not sure what she did, though.  Interesting.......

22 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

You are just a young Whippersnapper trogg.............in 62 ish............you could get some great music on 'Penguin's' juke box,for only 3d,,,The young ones   our Cliff,,,Loca-motion  little Eva''....'''Cant help falling in love'' Elvis,,,Lets Dance...Chris Montez....''Teenage idol''  Ricky Nelson,,,

and often  your last 3d..was spent on........Fanlight Fanny.......by Clinton Ford...........lol

I remember mostly from  a bit later..  Black is Black (Los Bravos), Papa's Got a Brand New Bag (James Brown)  Summer in the City ( Lovin' Spoonful) etc.. but I probably frequented the place on and off from around 1963 to about 1969.. which was the period when my life largely revolved around Boowul.. 360 Club obviously.. but also Horse Shoe, King Billy, 'old' Lord Nelson in Hempshill Lane and so on..  And of course the lukewarm 'coffee' in the glass cup and saucer that was dished up in the Penguin... dreadful stuff in retrospect..  I'm trying to recall how many 'pin table' machines there were.. Either 1, 2 or 3... i think.. that narrows it down a bit...:laugh: