How's your day?

Nice funeral,,if there is such a thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,got a mention about nearly drowning together in 67........Did'nt expect to meet so many people i knew years ago was really nice catching up,,,,,,had a nice moment with Jims widow,,,i asked ''when am i taking you out then?''''.......she laughed and think she  knew i would be the first to ask''.....bless her....lol

• Like 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Dj360 col,,

You may have known jim Webster whose funeral it was,,he lived your end of Andover when we were young,,he had a younger brother Reg,,and two younger sisters,

Also two chaps who went to HP,,Ged Swallow off leybourne and Raymede,,and a cousin of mine David Jackson off Beckhampton you also may have known both there yesterday,, 

Late night owl, Ben? According to theh posting gen you made the above post at around 2am this morning!

New day, new moan.....it ain't arf windy out there this morning. I almost flew up the hills this morning on my bike but coming back was a different story. Stop pedalling and it was like an emergency brake application! 

:bluespin04:

YES   Compo  just couldnt sleep last night,,IVE only just got up 9.45,,,not like me,,last time i looked at my watch it was 6am...Think it was the effect of the  funeral couldnt get many of the people out my mind.

21 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

One thing about you, Ben, is that every pub you go into...in fact every nook and cranny you visit... holds the memory of one of your old flames. I marvel at your capacity to remember their names and addresses!  Damned if I can remember most of mine. Mind you, they were eminently forgettable!

I do tend to remember girls names from long ago,,,,only recall 'one' Jill.................It was when i was lodging at 'Big Maud's' in Coalville ,,,,Jill Spencer 1965,,took her to see 'Robin and the 7 Hoods'' at Whitwick Pictures,,,,lovely girl,,but had to go home at week-ends to see my girlfriend in Carlton,,and Sunday nights in the Bodega........:rolleyes:

• Like 1

One of my best friends at Junior school was a 'Jill'  and I had 2 friends at Harlow Wood who were also called Jill - actually one of them was 'Gill'.  Does that count?

No. Jill and Gill aren't the same. Gill is short for Gillian. My name isn't a shortened form. My mum didn't like names being shortened, so she called me Jill.  Ted Sparrow, my paternal grandfather could never spell it correctly. Always thought it was Gill but used to call me Gilly, which I detest!

There was one Jill at primary school with me and several Gillians at Grammar school. The name seems to have fallen out of favour.  My older sister wanted to call me Wendy!  I'm so glad she didn't get her wish but I'll wager Ben's known a few!

Wendy Nugent,, Arnold,,met her in Anstey Leicester,, Bradgate road,,at her cousin Janes house,,1962,,

She enjoyed thursday afternoons in a rowing boat down the Embankment,, 

• Like 1

Ey up col

The Leybourne Websters were a different family,,i knew all of em as well,,Mr and Mrs from my Marsdens and Railway club days in the early 60s,,Then their children,,June a bit older than me,,Bob a bit younger and kenny that you mention,,June and Kenny both no longer with us,

Col: I used to go caving in Yorks and Derbys 40yrs ago but the only caves I have been in up here are 'Smoo Cave' in the far north and 'The Bone Caves' in Assynt. With an entrance cavern around 150ft high, Smoo Cave is known locally as the Cathedral. Tourists can take a seasonal boat trip into the entrance caverns but the main system is blocked by an ancient fall, currently under investigation by archaeologists. Evidence of fires inside the cave has been found and it caught their atteniton.  The cave system in Assynt is said to run for many miles and possibly connect with Smoo in the north. Excavations might prove the theory in a few years time. The bone caves yielded bones from Pleistocene epoch mammals and evidence of prehistoric occupation by humans.

• Like 2

Compo - I assume that you watched 'Secret Scotland' on channel 5 last night? It came up through Wick on the 500 route. Those Sutherlands were wealthy! The magnificent Dunrobin Castle was not even their main residence! I always assumed that it was the English that profited from the clearances?

• Like 1

PP: The Duke of Sutherland was English. He was the Marquis of Stafford and made millions from coal. He even opened two mines in sutherland bu tteh coal was poor quality and didn't steam well enough to power his factories and so the venture was a failure.

I did watch the  programme last night and gave it a score of 1/10 on the media review panel. It was poorly presented, badly edited and contained some questionable information.

Thanks compo - that puts the record straight. I was fortunate enough to fish with the Lord Leftenant (sp) of Sutherland a few times many years ago. He took me on his beats of the Cassley and let me use his boat on Loch Fauralach. Learnt a lot from him. He didn't give a toss about the upper classes or wealthy.

• Like 1

PP: There's a myth that the duke, bloody Englishman, gave orders to clear out the crofters from the estate and replace them with sheep. The truth is that it was his Scottish wife that ran the Sutherland estate and her henchman, Scotsman Patrick Sellar, was the bastard that burned peoples homes to make sure they couldn't return.  You may have seen the 100ft high statue of the duke on top of Ben Bhraggie in Golspie. For many years there has been a campaign by nutters to have it demolished. He looks out over his house and the sea. The detractors claim that he is "Turning his back on the estate and its inhabitants".

• Like 1
On 12/31/2019 at 12:27 AM, davep5491 said:

Many years ago we went to St.eulalia, Ibiza, our holiday rep was a tallish slim blonde who told us the same about her mother. During our stay we later saw her in a rep's show or maybe it was a karaoke where she performed a brilliant rendition of 'Perfect' I wonder if it is the same lady?

I've just asked  the lady in question and she said that she did do some holiday rep work many years ago, one of the destinations being Ibiza.  She said it probably was her who sang that song... she was quite touched that you even remembered the song title.  It quite made her day!

• Like 1

Margie, So glad it cheered her up it was very good that's why I can remember even though it must have been around 30 years ago. A bit more than a guess but not absolutely sure about this but I think she said it was one of her or her mother's favourites. Now what did I have for my tea a couple of hours ago?

• Like 1

Now that the Tories are back in control I have to rethink my Christmas plans: I reckon it's time to join a "Chirstmas Chocolate Club" if I'm to have any hope of a feast next December!

choco-club.jpg

Woke up late this morning. My daughter sent me a message to ask if Id heard or felt the earthquake. I hadn't. Apparently the epicentre was at Barbaresco only a few km from here.We aren't in an earthquake zone but we did have one 20 years ago which did a bit of damage to the house. Fortunately this one was only 3.1 but never the less frightening to those who felt it. No damage was reported so hope the wine is safe :rolleyes: Barbaresco is one of the wines from our area.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1