• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Well I've had my say about sheltered accommodation so next week I 'm away in Dublin for the Tradfeast, never been before, yes have been to Dublin but never to the festival,

so daughter in law and myself have a week of freedom, we are staying in a pub, with live Irish music, we have booked to see The Kilkenny's  just like most other act's  are free  but you must book. 

So we should have a great time. If you like Irish music and dance this is the place to go.

• Like 1

Have a good time Mary!  I don’t mind Irish music but they can keep the tap dancing ...... my friend and I saw Riverdance in London about 20 years ago and walked out at half-time as we found it so boring and monotonous, not my cup of tea at all.   My husband and I went over to Dublin for a wedding once and had a brilliant weekend, loved it there.  

Yes I agree Lizzie music is great all though a lot of rebel song's about the British but the dancing just a little is plenty. 

When you visited Dublin did you see Molly's  statue  must admit could not stop singing  "as she wheels her wheel barrow" all the way though town.

14 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Woke up late this morning. My daughter sent me a message to ask if Id heard or felt the earthquake.

The local media is reporting a serious earthquake of magnitude 5 in Bullwell last night, apparently it caused 20 million pounds worth of improvements

• Like 3

It is going to be a bl**dy awful two weeks here.

Week 1.  The Tour Down Under. A cycle race that takes competitors around the metro and near country areas of Adelaide. The real problem it brings out MAMIL's (Middle aged men in lycra) who try and emulate the pros by riding the routes a few days in advance. They clog up the roads and the local coffee shops ordering their Grande, double shot skinny latte made from Tibetan yak milk, garnished with orange peel and cinnamon with a shot of hazelnut syrup. If they continue to ignore all road rules, stop/give way signs and traffic lights I might well have a new mascot on the front of the car by the end of the week.

Week 1 and 2. The Australian Open Tennis. Surely the only sport that takes 9 or 11 officials to judge a game between two or four players where most of the time nothing is happening. The incessant grunting by mostly female players with names like Martina Gruntlikova and Anna Gruntlaudavitch when hitting the ball. Spoilt brats of players who regularly abuse officials. The governing body of the sport should get some new balls and disqualify them, and for repeated offences ban them from the game.

• Like 10

Well I woke this morning all bright and bushy tail,

All packed and ready to go  where DUBLIN.  I'm  sure  when we get there they won't know what's hit them, just a minute remember you are getting on in years, your not 20 any more (I wish) rewind 

When I arrive in Dublin it will take me a while to get my legs moving, maybe have a nod on the plane, drink well!  just a small one, how  we change, never mind my daughter in law and myself will still have a good time.

Will try not to post for a few day's as it is Tradfeast drinks and eats with lots of Irish Folk Music.

• Like 2

The last time I flew to Dublin the airport was fogged in so we diverted to Shannon on the west coast. I had a few drinks as I assumed we would be bussed back to Dublin. In typical Irish fashion the bus never appeared so we hired a car and I was nominated to drive all the way across the country. It was dark and the fog was thick so it was a nightmare journey. We eventually made it sustained by the multiple drinks I had consumed on the plane. We hired a taxi on the outskirts of Dublin and followed it to our hotel.

• Like 1

Ozt's notes about that tennis tournament puts me in mind of that execrable film festival that takes place near here in the middle of May followed immediately by a stupid car race a few kilometres along the coast.

• Like 1

I gave Ozt' a like, not because I agreed with any of it - but it was amusing ;)

After rowing over 10 miles a day for 19 days it was rest day yesterday. Rowed 8 miles this morning and will do another 8 or so this afternoon depending on what's on't telly. Rowing on an indoor trainer in front of the TV is a great way of keeping fit. Has anyone tried one of those little pedal machines designed for couch potatoes?

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

I gave Ozt' a like, not because I agreed with any of it - but it was amusing ;)

After rowing over 10 miles a day for 19 days it was rest day yesterday. Rowed 8 miles this morning and will do another 8 or so this afternoon depending on what's on't telly. Rowing on an indoor trainer in front of the TV is a great way of keeping fit. Has anyone tried one of those little pedal machines designed for couch potatoes?

Really admire your attitude to fitness PP,,,,Played sport most of my life,,,even bit of five-a-side football when over 70,,but must admit was never one for training very much,,,even on long training runs with football teams usually found a short cut....and a place for a fag break''' lol,,,  suppose i was lucky and stayed naturally fit up to recent times,,,still get out on me bike but don't go far........keep it up mate,,,

• Like 2

I hope Mary had abetter experience flying to Dublin than we did last summer. From JFK we flew Virgin Atlantic to LHR, then Aer Lingus to Dublin. At JFK they gave u s boarding passes all the way through to Dublin. At LHR, we found our next gate and sat for about 2 hours waiting for our flight. Time to board, so we put our boarding cards into a machine to open the gates to get through.  A red cross instead of green. Went to see the gate agent who put our details into the computer. Oh, you aren't on this flight, V. A. didn't think you would make the connection!  But we've been sitting here 2 hours! Can we still get on it? No, your luggage isn't on, and it would take too long to fnd it. O.K. says we, what time is the next flight, because we are meeting friends from their 12.30 flight from Manchester.  (it was about 9am) He tells us there are flights every hour and we will be on the next one. I asked, but will our luggage? I can assure you madam, it will be on. Liar, liar, pants on fire. We got to Dublin Saturday morning around 11am. Hubby got his suitcase delivered late Sunday night, mine at 10pm Monday night. As the saying goes, Aer Lingus could not organise a piss up in a brewery.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve got an exercise bike. Anymore than five minutes and I’m bored rigid. Better to cycle down the lane and risk being hit by a tractor.

Phil - I agree with you - as long as you do it! - cycling down the lane, that is and not being hit with a tractor. :biggrin:

You will need to be disciplined about exercise after the hip op. The first couple of months are really important. Obviously very gentle to start with. I was riding an easy 20 miles within 2 weeks but I was only 66 and very fit. I took a crank off of the indoor bike to start with due to massif swelling. The swelling had gone in 10 days. There is evidence that exercise on one limb results in fitness being transferred to the other.

How's  my day ? Well, just to lower the tone, just got back from my Colonography at Princess Royal. Was told all went fine though no results as these are sent to my GP. Three very nice young ladies did the deed, so all dignity was left at the door. A bit uncomfortable when the co2 gas pumped in but I'll get over it. Hardest part is trying to turn over, with a balloon and sewer pipe up your nether region. Still, did get a cup of tea out of it, but had to buy my own biscuit. And I  was able to drive myself there and back. Now sitting here at home, feeling like I want to spend the rest of the day on the bog!!