• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

The last Pink shirt i had was about 1960.........i remember playing my Tennis Racquet and singing along with Cliff Richard to ''Living Doll''

• Like 3

Anyone remember the Shirts without Collars ?  the ones you had to buy the collars separate and were made of Paper,,,fix to the shirt with collar studs ?

35 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Anyone remember the Shirts without Collars ?  the ones you had to buy the collars separate and were made of Paper,,,fix to the shirt with collar studs ?

Sure do... I used to sell them when I had a part time job in a gents outfitters on Mansfield Rd.

I remember my grandad's collar boxes. One had ordinary flat collars (although they weren't made of paper) which fixed to his shirts with collar studs. The others were stiff, round, winged collars which he wore with a bow tie or a cravat. Grandad was a very snappy dresser and fastidious about his clothes.

One of my favourite games, as a small child, was to empty all the flat collars out of the box, lay them out on his Victorian brass bed and pretend they were fish in the fishmonger's window. Then I'd wrap them in newspaper and pretend to serve customers like the lady in Braddock's fishmongery on Radford Road.

He used to go ballistic because the newsprint came off all over the collars!

I was a wee bit of a trial at times. Still am! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

My father used to wear them. Being ex RAF he usually wore Air Force blue shirts with matching collars for a long time after the war. I remember once going into a gents' outfitters in Paris with him to buy some loose collars. He eventually discovered they called them 'faux cols'.

When i say Paper,,,they were very stiff card.......and you could get materiel ones that could be washed and starched,,,,My Mother used to do mine,,so it must have been pre 68,,,and they looked really smart,,, can't for the life of me remember where i purchased them....

My day on Friday was pretty humdrum.  I've been feeling just slightly under the weather.  Nothing much... just a bit of a bug.  But late afternoon I went out for a walk of maybe a couple of miles.  I got home around 6:00 p.m and stepped out into the back of the house to put some rubbish out.  I looked up at the Moon then spotted a massive Meteor.  Very bright green...

I followed it from almost directly overhead, right down close to the Western horizon. which from here means somewhere over the Lancashire coast between Liverpool and Southport. I watched it for at least a few seconds and its bright green light remained visible even as it passed behind cloud.

I don't know if it was big enough to survive 'burnup' and actually land, but I guess if it did it would splash into the Irish Sea.

It was one of the two best 'Shooting Stars' I've seen in my lifetime. ( So far.... )  Very nice thing to see.  :)

• Like 1

DJ, maybe it landed on Horshall common and you'd better make sure no tripod things come out of it. Especially if you hear queen singing in the background.;)

• Upvote 1

It's now a week since I arrived back from "Dublin" it was excellent if you like Irish Folk music this is the place to go. Each January around 21st -28th in Dublin they have "Tradfast"  it did not cost the earth for flight and hotel, and the hotel chosen was in Temple-bar where all the music was, if you went on Irish Tradfast web-site you could pick up free tickets for some of the show's.

The thing that i did find upsetting though, were people that were homeless and all they ask for was food,  I have never seen so many homeless people.

13.30 today we were leaving Ned Ludds and had to go around a police cordon out side of Costa's. Just read on the news that a child is being held hostage by a man inside! We wondered what that was all about. Hope the child is OK.

Busy day yesterday setting up my stall at the British Fly Fair International show. This week end will be the moment of truth with my fishing rod project. Will I get my first sale? Will I be inundated? Will I sell none? Been looking forwards to this for ages......report on today's activities later if I survive the post show drinks in the local :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Just back from my local Morrisons...…...Can't help it,,but I still spot shoplifting taking place...….Today it was a chap aged about 80 pushing a Trolley and filling his coat pockets with Chocolate.

If I ever make a comeback I would treat this old chap in the way I used to treat most Pensioners,,,and just tell him....'''you been spotted mate,,,put em back''...…..99.9% of the time it worked,,when it didn't it was usually funny ,,,,IE.....The Pensioner telling me ''why don't you get a proper job'''...….I really miss it...…...Not many times when shopping do I not spot one.

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

On my first fly fishing lesson at Rutland Water I impaled the barbed hook in the back of my hand and the instructor had to perform a minor operation standing on a wobbly pontoon. 

For my sins, in a very small way, I  helped to build Rutland water.

Its become after more than 40years almost second sense,,,(it was Kirkby this morning Jill) in the case of this old chap it was eye contact,,he was looking to see if anyone was looking...….I really do miss it.

Anyone can spot the obvious ie..Phil's description,,,but there are so many ways they stand out to the trained eye......The way they hold their basket,,keep touching the item they intend nicking,,talk to everybody,,bag on arm,with handles far apart,, I could go on...….