• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

That reminds me of Woodthorpe Park back in the 50’s. It was a much steeper slope though, down towards the old Sherwood station. Another favourite was Breckhill fields. It was on the left as you went up the hill and the slalom course was round the thorn bushes towards Melbury Red. All built on now of course.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

The snow has changed course. Margie in the Fens might just miss it!

Unless, the snow is searching for Margie.  :rolleyes:

BK The snow hasn't found me!  Looking on the BBC Weather app, it looks like there'll be intermittent strong gusty winds here for another week yet.   Of course this has nothing to do with Notts as I'm now a Fen woman (Without webbed feet btw) I don't possess a boat, stilts or eel baskets either so perhaps I'm not really a Fen lass?   Of course, when the sea level rises - as it surely will - perhaps I'd be grateful for the aforementioned items.  I suspect it will affect our children and grandchildren more than me,.....but who knows ?

I can remember, mid 70s, working out of SPD bilborough, delivering around Deeping St.James and that area of the fens, where everywhere seemed to be flooded. Particularly some roads under water and when I looked out of the cab, the bottom of the tyres were under water which came up to the steel rims. It was quite unnerving looking all around and seeing only water.

We don't get floods in our immediate vicinity as we are on a hill - well , it's considered a hill in this part of the world!   Our nearest proper river is about 2 miles away.   

I've just spent an hour or so 'ripping' my brand new D'Agostini re-press of the Beatles first album 'Please Please Me' to digital from vinyl. I have all of the Beatles output on vinyl and am steadily getting round to ripping it to my music server and to CD for the car.

Because I'm taking it from vinyl replay it obviously has to be done in 'real time'.. not like just dragging and dropping some file.  So.. I listen as I go..

It dawned on me that although I know every one of the songs on 'Please Please Me' inside out.. it must be at the very least 55 years since I last sat through the whole album.. in the intended sequence.  I was transported back to a time when we had 7" singles and Dansettes.. and Albums if we were lucky..

Thoughts of school... singing songs on the school yard..  Up at the Wyvilles on Andover Road Bestwood..listening to Beatles songs 'taped' from BBC radio, which wouldn't emerge again for decades..  Remembering my late Sis Pam.. who had that album.. 

So much else.. all contained in that one album...

It meks yer think...

• Like 2

Well! I had to go back into the pub and ask for volunteers after my pint or three on Sunday evening. My hat blew off as I was leaving and I could not find it in the dark. So a search party staggered out of the pub shining their I phones all over the place, The wind was so strong that my hat was probably on it's way to Uttoxeter and would probably end up in Nottingham. The search party was called off and I went home hatless. Mrs PP put out an SOS on the local website and the hat was returned the morning after. It had only gone 200 yards.

• Like 3

You sound disappointed  PP. Were you hoping to get a postcard from Nottingham  or Lincoln  from your hat?

Consider yourself lucky indeed, could've had yer  'end blown off.  :rolleyes:

Trip into Bulwell this morning,,,considering it was Market day' it was very quiet,,,only about 4 Stalls working,,,cold weather perhaps?.....never used to make any difference.

Went in Tesco,,fancied some 'Pyclets' couldn't find any,,,came out with a pair of ''Skinny Jeans'''.........Bumped into an old school mate,,,who cheered me up ,,telling me about a couple of old football mates,who had hung their Boots up for the last time....,,got cheered up though,when my next 'Bump into'' was a girl from my year at school,,,to me she still looked the same,,,,and still turned me down......

• Like 4

Been to London today, third time in the past month but this time to be a caring Mummy to my youngest son. (The other two trips were very enjoyable, seeing a West End show with a night in a nice hotel)

Today our kid had an operation on his knee and lower leg to remove a bit of bone that had come adrift since he had a bad break 8 years ago.  For a few weeks he’s been in agony and on crutches some of the time but an MRI scan showed up the problem and he was in The Cromwell Hospital to get it fixed.  As well as the bit of loose bone the surgeon removed a metal plate and six long screws that were inserted 8 years ago, these apparently weren’t necessary anymore.  He was given the ‘Meccano’ bits in a bag, we were amazed how big and heavy they are. Once he was discharged he actually walked out of the hospital to the car, and then the journey back to Tring in Herts to drop him home and then up to Nottingham. It’s been a long day.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 2/11/2020 at 12:26 PM, DJ360 said:

It meks yer think...

It certainly does DJ360, I cannot remember when I last listened to a LP from beginning to end. It must have been at the same time I was transferring vinyl to digital too. It is embarrassing to say that I remember the LP it was "The Sound of Music" as the leader of the opposition likes that sort of stuff.

Recently spent time transferring from CD to USB as our new car does not have a CD player and at the same time I backed them up to a separate hard drive.

I am not a fan of using the phone in the car for music. Having spent the last twenty years of my working life beholden to a pager then a mobile phone, now I am retired I don't want anything to do with them, only there for an emergency, and I have to admit at this moment I don't exactly know where my phone is.

• Like 2

Hi Oz,

I've put all of my CDs and a considerable amount of 'digitised' vinyl onto my Innuos Zen music server and it's still only 14% full.  I've also backed it up to a WD 'Elements' 1tb portable drive.  It's not so much the thought of losing the music, as it is all safely stored.. but I'd hate to have to go through the whole pantomime of ripping it all again.

Just did 'With The Beatles' only to discover it's already there.. from a CD I forgot I had. It will be interesting to see if I can hear any significant difference between a 1987 CD ripped direct to the server, and an LP played via several £k worth of record player etc..recorded to CD-RW, then ripped.  Bottom line is that there were various pressings available from 'Day One', coming from different 'stampers' as well as 're-pressings' ..and the 'contract pressings' which EMI/Parlophone 'farmed out' to Decca and Pye to meet demand. There have since been assorted re-masters by various people.  EMI have done full analogue re-masters on vinyl (at a price) as well as digital ones.

I suspect it would cost a good few £k to collect even the recent re-masters in all their variety.  Meanwhile, some of the original issues go for many £k each.

For me. it's just about hearing the music as well as I can without going 'daft'.

I too don't want to use my phone for car audio.. but I can't anyway..  I'm still running a 16 year old Honda Civic 2.0 l  'S', which has a rather nice stereo set up... but no obvious 'AUX' input and certainly no USB.  I'm pretty sure there will be an 'AUX' input going spare at the back of the stereo unit.. but it looks like a pig of a job to get at it.  One day I'll get into it and sort out some sort of input for Digital.. but it won't be tomorrow..

Some days you just don't want to do anything.  I've noticed this is much more frequent in the winter as I sometimes opt for what I believe are called 'Duvet Days'..though I do actually manage to drag myself out of bed... eventually.

So, after a brisk few thousand steps in the icy gales yesterday.. today (Wednesday) was a late rising, followed by a day spent mostly watching tripe on the telly.

I watched a recording of 'Atomic Blonde', which mostly involved a very attractive, but somewhat 2 dimensional Charlize Theron as a 'supposedly' British agent repeatedly and somewhat improbably kicking the living s**t out of numerous 'baddies' as she worked her way through a confused and nearly impenetrable plot involving numerous countries' 'intelligence services' nefarious activities at the point when East Germany was collapsing.  As is the fashion these days, much of the dialogue was unintelligible. 

I reckon the soundtrack may have been the best part of the film..featuring as it did mostly Brit 80's bands.  Coming from someone who hated 80s music. make of that what you will.

I followed that with an episode  of the generally excellent 'Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' series which featured Jeremy Brett.  I love the whole 'vibe' of that late Victorian/Edwardian period. I love the language..  the earlier senses of words such as 'capital' to mean 'excellent', and 'singular' to mean 'strange'.. or 'unusual'.. etc.

To me.. for some reason. that whole era..just prior to WW1, seems like a sort of 'comfort zone'.. even though I know it was a miserable era for many.

It's part of why I love the writings of H.G. Wells.. everything from 'Mr Polly', to 'War of the Worlds'.  It portrays a time of relative innocence. when science existed at a human level which most could understand.  We are way past that now.

Sadly, this episode of Holmes was possibly the worst episode I've ever seen of this series. in which we are invited to believe that a Holmesian version of a 'Mad Scientist' conspires to turn himself into a half man/half Gorilla, by injecting himself with Monkey glands. Really too fantastic.. even for Holmes.

Tomorrow... or today as it is now.. I have an appointment to check out my Cataracts and my Pigment Dispersion Syndrome.  Neither are serious but I'm grateful to those who think it's worth monitoring.

Rock On!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just had a power cut.  Only a few minutes, but it came just before I got around to re-setting all of the issues caused by the one last night...

Just shows how dependent we have all become, and how dependent we are on things outside our direct control. I don't think we even have a box of matches in the house now.  Does make you wonder how you'd manage if it all fell apart...  I've often wondered whether to buy a petrol powered generator.. but it would only work at home..as long as there was fuel.

Scary stuff.