• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Nearly spring!! I've noticed bud burst on a few saplings and the Daffs have flower heads forming, soon be an "ocean" of yellow here .

• Like 1

Taking care of that fish tank would raise it again BK.  :biggrin:

Re. fuses in 13 amp plugs.  It seems dangerous to me to bypass that fuse in any way, because in my day the whole ring main system was backed up by a thirty amp fuse or breaker.  Not great for lamp cords! 

• Like 1

We had many Sf6 switches but I think they're banned now. There are various versions of SF6 but many do have fuses, some trip relays but all use one of the worst greenhouse gases on the planet!

Burn outs have as you say many reasons which rather proves the point the CP is not protecting or preventing damage to  the load.

The sand in a fuse body turns to glass from the heat of the arc after the link ruptures and creates an insulating barrier between the contacts, simple but quite brilliant.

23 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Brew, they have invented something to look at to lower BP. It's called an Aquarium, with fish.

?? Not sure I follow. Where does BP subject come from?  

My mistake Brew, it should have been Loppylugs reply. It were the last line on one of his posts.

Please accept my apologies. B.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Brew said:

?? Not sure I follow. Where does BP subject come from?  

Sorry, my bad.  I was referring to high blood pressure.  My problem before my stroke a year or so ago.  Now mostly under control apart from politicians.:biggrin:   Actually they say stroking your dog is great for lowering BP.  I do lots of that.

4 hours ago, carni said:

Yesterday we joined our local gym, £10 a month, concessions for oldies, a bit more than a gym really, its title is 'Leasure Village', going for an induction at 1pm. See how we go?

We had a very informative induction at 1pm. The place was a little busier than we would like, but according to the instructor it is because it is half term. We are waiting until Monday to make our first visit to the gym, when the little B.......eauties go back to school. Love them really.:rolleyes:.

We were very pleased to see that we were by far not the only 'Old Plumpets' on the machines. We need that little extra  ballast to balance us out and to keep us warm in winter. (Thats my theory) Any way we will give it a go. See if I can get past the six weeks  that I usually last for in any classes that I have joined over the years!:)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Brew said:

You're talking about circuit discrimination  Col although any cooker circuit with a 60amp fuse would have me running for the hills!  It equates to almost 14 kW :( and would need at least a 10mm cable

Hi Brew.  I checked in the garage where the consumer unit lives.  First, the fuse 'upstream' of the meter is 100A as I thought.

Next, I recall there was originally a 30A rated feed to the kitchen for an electric cooker.  I'm not sure if that is now used for the Induction Hob which is in the same place as the old cooker.. or if it's redundant.  The new kitchen has two NEFF ovens  a NEFF hob.. and a cheap nasty cooker hood. (I plan to change that..), plus 6 worktop sockets. Also 5 under cupboard lights and 6 ceiling spots.  I've lost track of what is supplied by what.

The electrician fitted three new feeds from the garage to the kitchen.  Two look like 13 A and the other looks like 30 A.  All previous wiring was run through 'breeze' block and wasn't obvious. 

The new consumer unit is MK, which I like.  The main switch says 63A, but none of he other circuit breakers have ratings stated.

All sounds reasonable Col.

The 63amp switch  is the isolator. It is not the load rating of the consumer unit nor is it a fuse size, it is the current the switch can safely disconnect.

I think if you look closer the breakers will have a rating and probably be type B.  A lighting mcb will be labelled B6. This tells you it is a type B breaker rated at 6 amps, there will also be a voltage rating.

If you have lost track or need to know for whatever reason again look closer, the electrician should have labelled each circuit in the unit and on the test certificate.

• Like 1

Since I went to the Bristol Hi Fi Show on Friday.. I've been recovering.. I was already knackered from two very early mornings ( by my standards..). so getting up before 5:00 am for a 06:26 train to Bristol and arriving home after midnight was bound to leave me a bit drained.. I did nothing yesterday and not much more today.

Tomorrow I need to seek out some electrical 'shrink sleeving' so I can finish the rewiring of 'Jane', who I've already mentioned.

Amazing how hard this stuff is to find.

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Tomorrow I need to seek out some electrical 'shrink sleeving' so I can finish the rewiring of 'Jane', who I've already mentioned.

How much and what size do you need Col. I need to order some but have got a few bits left and can send you some. Since Maplins and nearly all hobby electronic shops have gone, eBay is the place to get it but you might be waiting on delivery.

Today has been a very informative day but also a bit worrying. In Piemonte we have now 4 confirmed cases of Corona virus. Today we've heard that slowly slowly everything is coming to a halt. Public places closed, schools and universities. Historic buildings , museums. The care home where my mother is has closed its doors even to families. Yesterday my husband went to fetch some bottled water, he said the shelves were becoming very bare. People were buying the disinfectant gel . The supermarkets had sold out and they were buying the wet tissues 10 at a time. This is local, but further away things are a lot worse. Bars and restaurants in the worst hit places have been closed.

On top of that we are being warned of bogus telephone calls from " Red Cross" and health dept saying that they are calling at homes to effect a tampon swab to help the authorities keep the disease in check. But it's only to gain access to homes in the hope they can profit by stealing. The proper authorities are advising citizens not to answer their doors or to say they've already had one done. ."Luckily " for us from my kitchen window we can see who's at the gate and decide to open or not. It's an electric gate so no one can open it from outside.

Hope UK doesn't get to this stage. 

Nonna, we’ve been thinking about you over there. I googled Codogno which (according to the news) is the town at the centre of your Coronavirus scare and was I pleased to see it’s around 150km from you but still a bit too close for comfort.  Don’t let anyone breathe on you and get plenty of vitamin C down you and you’ll be fine, hopefully! 

• Like 1