How's your day?

10 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Aldi have boxes of assorted heat shrink from time to time.

I was told it was Lidl, but it seems very much a lottery as to when they have them.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Screwfix is probably better as they sell reels in various diameters as opposed to the assortment box of small lengths you would get at Halfords.

Not really Phil as I only need a few inches and would just be stuck with a nearly full reel.

15 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Halfords stock shrink sleeving.

Yep. But they charge about 3 times what it costs on Ebay and again.. I'd be stuck with most of it.

18 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

How much and what size do you need Col. I need to order some but have got a few bits left and can send you some. Since Maplins and nearly all hobby electronic shops have gone, eBay is the place to get it but you might be waiting on delivery.

Hi Letsav..  I've worked out that I need  12 pieces each about 1/2 inch long, to wrap the ends of three cores once in the lamp, twice in the switch and once in the plug...So, about 6" maximinum in total.  Short bits would be fine.

Or it might only be two cores (4 pieces) in the switch as its double pole so I assume the live and neutral 'break' but the earth just runs through.  Haven't looked inside it to be honest.

Each core is approx 2-3 mm diam, so any sleeve up to about 5 mm internal with a 2-1 ratio should do.  Colour is irrelevant as none of it will be seen when finished and it won't obscure the colour coding of the cores.

20 hours ago, Waddo said:

Most good electronics shop sell it. Also maplins, if they are still in operation. Failing that, Amazon.

Yes, but our local place closed couple of years ago as did Maplin etc. RS want to sell too much

57 minutes ago, IAN FINN said:

Where do you catch the train to Bristol do you have to change along the way? Dont tell me at the train station.

???

Wigan North Western, which is about 5 miles from here and on the West Coast main line.  But we go to Birmingham New Street and change there for Bristol Temple Meads.

I live not far from the Italian border and, although a considerable distance from the centre of the coronavirus outbreak there and from nonnaB, my local authority is preparing contingency arrangements for possible isolation. 

Isolating  leBsL wouldn't be too difficult - it's pretty much isolated anyway and a few road blocks would be relatively easy. Most concerning at present is if the crisis gets any worse, the fate of le Fête de l'Oranger over the Easter weekend . Will it be able to go ahead? That is one of the big annual events here and brings in a lot of money for the fabric of the commune. There is also the Chasse aux Oeufs (Easter egg hunt) in early April which, although for youngsters, brings in quite a large crowd.

We live in the country and the village is 3 km approx away. I've never been one who can't stay away from crowds so it's not bothering me to get infected by being too near to anyone. The village if neccessary can be blocked as there are 4-5 exits so not difficult.They are closing and blocking places right , left and centre but think we are all being grateful for at least they are trying to prevent the spread. There were 6 confirmed cases in Piemonte but 3 have been confirmed recently as negative with another positive person yesterday bringing confirmed cases to only 4 which as I hear you all say, 4 too many. Haven't heard the news yet but hope it doesn't continue too long as we will be celebrating our 50 th wedding anniversary in June . ( May 2nd actual date but waiting for the better weather as it will be outdoors).We have many relatives coming from Sicily as they weren't at at our wedding so it will be a shame if they can't come.

Concerts have been cancelled and of course Carneval celebrations. I wonder what will be the festive activities during the summer if this CV continues. Probably all playing with phones and iPads.

10 hours ago, Brew said:

Col, why do you need shrink sleeving?

Edit:

B&Q do small amounts in the electrical dept;

Because I've bought fabric wrapped 'antique gold' 'retro flex' and I'm paranoid about the cut ends fraying. It looks old fashioned.. but has plastic colour coded insulation over the cores.  Also, since I'm ( in my view) a competent, but unqualified person, I always try to do a very neat job. I've searched the B&Q site endlessly but can't find mention of heat shrink sleeving.  I'm going into town shortly so will have another look.  In other news..oddly, they do seem to stock round pin plugs.. (though not the sockets)  There was a school of thought in hi-fi that they had more contact area than the modern 13A and therefore 'sounded better'.. but I'm not convinced.  Also, they lack the plastic bit at the base of L and N pins and I don't know if the round pin sockets have  a gate, like the modern 13A, or just make earth contact first.

P.S. I've just looked again and B&Q do list stuff that 'looks like' heat shrink and appears if you search under 'heat shrink sleeves', but looking at product info reveals no mention of heat shrink, temps, shrink ratio etc.. and there's even a customer review complaining that the stuff is NOT shinkable.

4 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

Col.

If you pm me your address I’ll send some in the post.

Ok Letsav.. If I come home empty handed today will do.  Many thanks.

53 minutes ago, Brew said:

Surely the ends shouldn't fray if they are gripped by cable clamps and not subject to movement...

Ahh.. you say that.. but .... :(

1 hour ago, Willow wilson said:

Well, we're waiting on the edge of our seats now with 'How's your day' on speed dial.

Willow.. I'm shocked.. :Shock:.  Such cynicism is unbecoming.. ;)

Right.. excitement coming up!!

1. A fellow member of the pinkfishmedia site ( D.I.Y. Section) has already posted some shrink sleeving to me.  @letsavagoo Will wait to see what arrives and whether I need to take up your kind offer.

2.  I've just made a three egg and cheddar cheese omellette, using a touch of olive oil and a little butter.  It was nice.

3.  I've just exchanged heated words with 'Er Indoors'.. It seems that I NEVER wipe work surfaces.. and ALWAYS leave the lights on.  Such certainty and statistical conviction is impressive, especially coming from someone who NEVER closes any of the upstairs doors, despite us having open plan stairs with the result that we are very public spiritedly heating the street via open upstairs windows.

4.  Despite previous lack of success with them, and their apparent 'dead' look.. my Echinacea seedlings appear to be putting out small new red shoots.

5. I may walk to the shops later...

Now reader.. breathe... and have a brief lie down..  :laugh:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

despite us having open plan stairs with the result that we are very public spiritedly heating the street via open upstairs windows.

Our house had open plan stairs, what idiot ever thought they were a good idea? Due to the air circulation  upstairs was as hot as Hades downstairs constant cold feet.  

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Our house had open plan stairs, what idiot ever thought they were a good idea? Due to the air circulation  upstairs was as hot as Hades downstairs constant cold feet.  

When we converted the stable and hayloft for my mum 8 yrs ago she always grumbled that there was a draft coming from upstairs due to an open staircase. She blocked everything and put draft excluder on all the doors. Stuffed air vents up with paper. When she went into care my daughter came to live there and found all sorts of things. A mess taking all the draft excluders off , big holes in the wall where mum 's husband had made mistakes in putting shelves etc up. 

Jonab I understand your concern for the orange festival as we have the wine festival in May and it brings in a lot of money and tourists from all over including France, Germany and U.K.. Asti has a huge food sagre which pulls in crowds too.

Besides the festivities concerning food we also have outdoor concerts with famous personalities, singers etc. There's always something happening during the summer so this will a year not to remember but to forget.

We have become the Chinese community as this virus is spreading. Piemonte is in a good position as we now only have 1 person infected. The news is a bit unfair though as most of these deaths are people that are over a certain age and are/have suffered other illnesses and they say it's the virus that is responsible. I have been reading other countries opinions and some comments are quite inappropriate and not true. Fake news as usual. 

The problem as I see it is that Milan has an extremely large Chinese community due to the fashion industry and of course they visit their own country. I'm not defending our own country and I'm not condemming China but the virus had to come from somewhere. Europe is open to everyone and everyone is free to travel where they want to go.It 's inevitable that it spreads.

An example came about of the hostility towards the Chinese happened the other day with an Italian celebrity. He was out with a friend when he saw a small crowd of " yobboes " He stopped to watch then he saw the big brutes laying into a Chinese telling him he was the carrier of this disease and to get the hell out of this country. They beat him up and threw stones at the poor chap. The celebrity did what he could to stop them and eventually called the Carabinieri. He was so angry and upset that he didn't go home straightaway because he didn't want his wife and children to see him in that state.

How anyone can blame the Chinese is beyond me. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

From what I have seen reported (if it is true?)this new virus originated from the same place as the SARS virus. Does make you wonder what is going on in that region. Also heard or saw somewhere that it had skipped species (possibly from bat to person) by someone eating an infected endangered animal. Again this could be propaganda and I could have misheard\misread something.
Or could it be a case of Mother Earth biting back?

The WHO have determined that Corvid 19 is a variant/mutation of the SARS virus. The official name is now Covid-19, it's full name is Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 or Sars-CoV-2 for short.

It does seem to have originated in bats but there is no direct evidence of bat to human transmission an intermediate animal is suggested as  likely, in this case camel. There are four Coronaviruses that affect humans and possibly a lot more we don't know about - yet.

Another theory for the origin is a Wuhan seafood market and illegal animal trading. Doesn't say what the animals are sold for but presumably  as food.

More details here if you want a read:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-do-animal-viruses-like-coronavirus-jump-species-20200225/ 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-coronavirus