How's your day?

23 minutes ago, Brew said:

Statistically the chance of contracting Covid-19 are very small, at a guess I'd say about the same as having a win on the lottery...    

And the same factors apply.  You have no chance of winning if you don't buy a ticket.. minimal chance of winning if you do.

Similarly, you have a minimal BUT INCREASING chance of catching this virus because cases are now increasing exponentially. So I'll stick with my precautions.

And finally.. referencing statistics, my old psychology lecturer once stated: "You may well have only a 0.0000000001% chance of dying in an  aircrash..  However.. if you do die in an aircrash.. you are 100% dead. :blink:

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

6 weeks ago I went to the QMC for a consultation re hearing loss, no unusual control measures in place at the entrance or clinic.

3 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago I went to the Ropewalk for a hearing aid assessment and fitting, no unusual control measures in place at the entrance or clinic.

I'm  off to the QMC in a couple of hours for a scan, I'll report back on any unusual control measures in place.

• Like 2

I would advise you to carry on exactly as you are doing Col if it helps you. I simply think you were wrong to call people selfish based on a snippet of conversation you were not in all probability part of. They could be totally OCD about it for all we know and were simply stating there was nothing more they could do..

Today since yesterday afternoon almost 600 new cases of CV. That's how fast it's traveling.

Cruise blocked in Naples another blocked in Thailand, precautions are taking place. Wonder if you get the same updates as we do.

Hi Nonna, just to lighten your day with a bit of nonsense trivia. I saw an advert on tv last night, (can't remember which channel) advertising "Goodfellas Pizza". The sign over the shop said "Nonnas  Pizza". It was supposed to be in Italy, but the ad ended with 'made in Ireland'. Not your shop is it ? :rolleyes:

No.we haven't got a shop. But suppose they do have Italian family . Nonna means grandma.( but you probably knew)

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

They are hairdressers.  They work in very close proximity to each other and to their customers.  I assume that tyheir training involves at least basic hygeine. They also blow stuff all over the place with dryers etc.  I'd have thought they would at least ackowledge that basic hygeine might help.

Close proximity of people, hairdressers or not, is the crucial factor. If you're out and about in contact with people you're at risk. Natural air currents, air-conditioning etc blow about what's constantly being coughed and sneezed. What's the difference? 

Remember containment of whole cities in a repressive state have not stopped the spread. The containment of the passengers on the Japanese cruise ship did not seem to be effective. If everyone single person in the world religiously washed their hands constantly, this would have some statistical but little practical effect as that is not the principal cause of spread.

Personally, I too believe unilaterally doing our best to safeguard ourselves, our family and the world at large makes sense. However, I would fully understand why so many folk don't see the point and carry on as normal.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, nonnaB said:

No.we haven't got a shop. But suppose they do have Italian family . Nonna means grandma.( but you probably knew)

The day is not wasted.  ;)  I just learned something new.

I did not know that, Nonna.

• Like 1

Well I'm back.

No additional or unusual measures at Queens Medical Centre, just the usual hand sanitiser in each department.

No questionaire on recent travel, no prompting to use sanitiser, only myself and 1 other used it in my presence.

No obvious avoidance moves by staff, no-one internally with masks, I did see a few Chinesse looking students outside with them on, but would have expected to see some anyway.

Business as usual.

And I was out an hour before my appointment time.

• Like 1

I will soon be off down the sell out 30,000 City Ground for tonight's match you want to see the men's toilet at half time, 6000 trying to use a metal trough, 3 sinks with cold water, no soap, no towels.

I've just delivered to 1800 houses, now go wash your mail :Shock: 

• Like 1

On the news from yesterday to simplify the importance of this virus as regards common sense.

An elderly couple in their 80's were diagnosed with CV and are in a critical condition. On March 1st they went to visit their son who lives in Lodi. ( one of the epicenters) The hospital has only just been informed because the couple forgot to tell them. Now the hospital has had to test all the patients ( well or otherwise) . and to inform everyone else they've been in contact with. We may seem to be over reacting but when you hear these things it's irresponsible. On checking UK's situation it doesn't seem to be well informed as regards contamination especially in hospitals.

8 hours ago, Brew said:

I would advise you to carry on exactly as you are doing Col if it helps you. I simply think you were wrong to call people selfish based on a snippet of conversation you were not in all probability part of. They could be totally OCD about it for all we know and were simply stating there was nothing more they could do..

Sorry Brew but you misread me.  It was  conversation that I had with the three staff there.

And yes, I will continue to take what precautions I can, although that all rather went out of the window earlier today when I kept a long arranged appointment to meet some family who were 'up' from Chichester visiting. So, several of Mrs Col's cousins, with kids and partners in tow, plus her sister and brother in law.  Lots of hand shaking and hugs all around... About 20 of us I think.  My first move on arrival home was to thoroughly clean my hands.  Not so much from traces of 'family', as from stair rails etc. 

Meanwhile... Presenting the DJ360 Patent Copper Anti-Slug Plant Protector Ring

HAecTajHetfdCPgN9

Simply but ingeniously manufactured by using tinsnips to open up a length of 15mm copper pipe, flattening it then curling into a ring which is able to be opened or closed by virtue of simple 'opposed slots' cut near the ends.

If copper does indeed work, this should work. and I can then think about making a neater, more refined version. 

Also,  am wondering if I can get a constant low voltage/potential by connecting the copper ring to one or more zinc nails, also sunk into damp soil.  My basic O level electro-chemistry stuff is a bit rusty, but if that works it should be even more discouraging to slugs.

I believe they find the electro chemical reaction between their slime and the copper somewhat uncomfortable. I find the same if I touch raw copper onto my tongue We shall see as my two remaining  Delphiniums are just emerging and already showing some slug damage despite lowish temperatures.  I'll need to have a look out in the evenings to make sure that no slugs are trapped inside the rings... then see what happens. 

Last year I was out every evening on slug patrol and it took me weeks to find the worst culprit which was the biggest sodding slug I've ever seen.  I adapted it to make two shorter ones, but not before it had killed off a new Delphinium.

Been told this evening first case of the virus confirmed in Nottingham. Apparently someone who has just come back from South Korea, the family has been asked to self isolate. 

• Like 1

We’ve had a long, tiring and somewhat emotional day today.  We went down to Sussex, a 360 mile round trip, to attend the funeral of a very dear friend who was also my husband’s best man at our wedding 45 years ago.  He was such a great bloke, clever, fun-loving, always up for a laugh, and the best friend one could ever wish for.  There were well over a hundred mourners in the church, many of whom we hadn’t seen for many years so it was very much a social occasion for us too.  A lot of kissing, hand shaking and hugs and not a thought of CV until I arrive home and turn on Nottstalgia!    To be honest I’m fed up with hearing about it ...... the Chief Medical Officer and Govt Ministers keep saying there’s no reason to panic ....... so why is it dominating the news?    If I’ve caught the dreaded virus today due to mixing closely with all those people you’ll be the first to know, in the meantime I’ll keep taking Vitamin C. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Met up with my normal gang of reprobates before & after the Forest match, they all agree this corona malarkey is a load of bollocks, lets catch it & get it over & done with, also proud white English brexiters so we must be right? :crazy:   

Good to know the Forest Medics have everything under control.. I feel so much better now...... ? ! ? !

OTOH and IMHO, AFAICS  neither 'English' nor 'Brexiter' are proven antivirals. Proud and white aren't doing too well either..  See 'Italy'.

19 hours ago, DJ360 said:

They are hairdressers.  They work in very close proximity to each other and to their customers.  I assume that tyheir training involves at least basic hygeine. They also blow stuff all over the place with dryers etc.  I'd have thought they would at least ackowledge that basic hygeine might help.

Do you have a problem with hairdresser's? they do quite a lot of training in hygeine  and H/S . If you wish to on the chair  that is full of hair  "then do" they will use the dryer  to get rid of the hair before sweeping up. I see from you comments you go to a little sweaty betty's how qualified are they in ladies and gents styling, On the other hand for how many times you visit the salon your money will not pay for a towel to be washed so yes get your own clippers, Oh by the way "Wahi" are a German make hope you have not  got a problem with them also.

Wahl are an American company with headquarters based in Sterling Illinois

Wahl acquired a German company that manufactured similar products in 1996

The company I worked for supplied tooling to them from Oz for use in their plants in the USA

• Like 1